About to buy my first CR 500

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Nomadic Cycle Racks

About to buy my first CR 500

Post by Nomadic Cycle Racks »

I checked out a 98 CR5 this weekend. He's the second owner, has a new top end, (he did this himself...not too sure about his top end skills) and is a clean bike overall. Not clean like bling- No bend rads, hardly any slop in the swing arm, rotors looks good, semi-straight wheels etc.

It started up cold second kick and revved nicely. He told me it sputters 1-2nd but once you get into the higher gears its fine.

So I rode it and sure enough, it was exactly as he described. This can't be from jetting can it? It runs fine in the upper gears from the run up and down the street I got. I was reading over a post last night titled "won't start" mentioning a similar symptom. Brit mentioned a clutch side crank seal and collar. I opened the rad and found low coolant but did not check the condition of the tranny oil.

My question is, is this most likely the culprit? BTW he runs 927 @ 50:1 elev. 2000ft., and he wants 2k for the bike.
Main goal is to do the AF conversion after riding it for the rest of the desert season. So I'm not too concerned about the rest of the bike. I just need a solid motor to start with. Thanks guys
britincali

Post by britincali »

$2000 sounds like ALL the money for a bike like that, I think you should keep looking.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Keep an eye on ebay.
I bought a complete motor for about 500 bucks.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Nomadic Cycle Racks

Why the short answers? Could it be more extensive than what I might have diagnosed? I don't mind a little project. Plus I'll part out the bike after the season to recoup the $ on ebay.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

I'll take the forks, shock, tank, shrouds, and fenders.

can't have enough 98-01 parts layin around
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Since you are looking for it to do a conversion, 2k is a lot for a motor. They are all the same from 91-01. I would advise you look for an older one as it will be cheaper and just as good. You should be able to find something solid for ~1200-1400 and still be able to part out the chassis for a significant amount.

Just my $.02
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Nomadic Cycle Racks

But I want it now!! Haha. I should probably wait. Geez I never though my DRZ 400S would be such a hot comodity. Im selling it to get a CR5 or 250 to do the conversion. I advertised it on craigslist TODAY and I have one guy on his way and another guy chomping at the bit to check it out in the morning. I don't think Im asking too little 2003 DRZ 400S 3800mi- 3k? Its clean. I think its a fair price.

Anywho, If I buy an older engine wouldn't it cost me more to go through it and rebuild in time and money than to part out the the CR5? Eh, maybe not. What could I get out of the rolling chassis, 700-900$? So the motor would cost me 100-1300$ as is I guess
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I would say a roller steel frame is worth more like 300-400 bucks.

Buying an older motor doesnt necessarily mean its not in good shape.
I have bought newer bikes that claimed to have a good motor, then blew them up after a few rides.

I just stripped my 1985 motor and it is in great condition.
It all depends on what kind of hoon the previous owner was.

The going rate on ebay for a complete 91 and up motor with all the electronics and carb can be anywhere from 600-1200 bucks.

Ive seen quite a few go for over 1000.
I wouldnt pay that for a motor Ive never seen or heard run though.
At least if you have to rebuild one you will know what is inside of it.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/search- ... Year:DESC/

A 1986 for $1100

If it s a bike your going to cut up anyways, I agree on finding a solid beater to ride while your finding your donor A/F chassis.

Buying a nice steelie is just money wasted..
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing ... R-90995031

If he has paperwork for the 100% rebuild... this might be a winner

My pick to click...

VEHICLE DETAILS

Year:1991
Make:Honda
Model:CR500R
Type:Motorcycle
Mileage:0

SELLER DESCRIPTION
1991 Honda CR500R Runs great low hours on rebuilt top end. Has pro circuit forks that have been re packed recently. FMF pipe with silencer. Real fast bike a lot of fun please call with any other questions. $1000, 9093190255

A 1991 has the late model clutch and tranny ratios. EASY to part out the chassis ( everyting fits up to 2001) Could be a sweet find....

Get on it!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the motor saw nearly no changes from '90+. '88-'92 had a close ratio trans, '93+ had wide ratio and '94 they changed the case color from black to gray. The suspension sucked '89-'91, then steadily saw improvements until '95 where they were the same until '01.
so, a '95 is essantially the same bike as an '01 with a different year stamped on the frame.
No reason to spend too much on a chassis that you won't get much $ for. I bought my '86 with the intention of using the motor for an a/f. I bought the whole bike running for $730, then rebuild the whole motor. Rode it for over a year, then bought my a/f donor chassis and did my conversion.
My cousin is doing the same, he bought a '92 in peices for $1000 from MFDBs friend with a new topend in boxes. I went through the whole bike for him including repainting the frame. nearly a year later he has a gen1 chassis and is getting ready to convert.
I did my whole conversion including all my rebuilds and servicing everything for less than what you are asking for your suzuki. I really did it on a budget and used a gen-1 chassis, but I could sell it tomorrow for more than I've put into it. Just my .02 don't spend more than you have to to get the same result.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Nomadic Cycle Racks

Thanks guys. I just sold the bike tonight. I'll call for the '91 in Rancho C. and see whats up.

I guess it just makes sense buying an older motor and going through it. But with an older bike, the probability of the bike having less hours or less wear and tear on it than a new one is much lower than a newer one. Its a coin toss really. Thats my whole thing. I know you can pick up an older CR5 for cheaper and pay less. But items like the bottom end tranny/shifting mechanism have much more hours on them, possibly unlike a newer engine. These components might have to be replaced. Or should they be replaced? What is the extent of a full rebuild??

All in all I suppose like this:

Buy an older bike- completely rebuild the motor in and out and end up paying around the same for a newer complete bike and sell the chassis. Pro- new motor
con- ?

Buy a newer bike- sell the chassis, put a newer top end in it and hope it would be as reliable as the older, fully rebuilt engine.
Pro- unpainted cases (if it is a pro),
con- not fully rebuilt

Thing is, Ive never rebuilt an entire engine. Im trying to value my time and cost of rebuilding an engine into the equation. What would it cost to outsource??
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its sad but true the the VAST majority of CR500's are garage queens and serve little more than being bench racing fodder.

A 1991 might only have 100 hours on it.

If it runs good, has low vibes, and shifts like butter.... slap a piston in it...and run the piss out of it!!!

Brits $350 wonder is a hell of a good runner.

I would buy the cheapest, 1990+, ugliest looking/ best running bike I could find.

Those always are the best ones anyway....

Ride the crap out of it until you find your A/F donor.. thats the one you want as a real Cream-Puff..... and than mate the two.

Simple!

Heres another one...

1995 cr500r.pro circut suspension. full fmf pipes.no pink.clean vin.new grafix kit.clean.runs great.$2,000 obo

951 551 4400
e-mail:
shooternanza@hotmail.com

That means $1500 CASH, all in $100's to this guy.

NO WAY is he going to stand firm when you fan that cash out on the hood of his car.
Nomadic Cycle Racks

Ha, whats low vibes on a 500?? Hmm, do I want a close ratio trans?? The 98 I rode had the wide ratio and was quite interesting considering Ive never rode a bike with a wide ratio tranny. I could see its advantage on long desert rides. Is the close ratio too close for a motor which has wide power? Most definitely a rocket from a dead stop.

I think I'll pass on the 98 and keep looking. I'll call on the 91. Damn, too bad I didn't know about it before! I was just up there Fri-Mon. :evil:
Xylicon

Post by Xylicon »

^^ No pink slip, that could cause some problems.

For more reference I picked up my 97 for 2400 :shock:
97 CR500, 94 CR250, 87 CR125
Nomadic Cycle Racks

Nice find, where are you finding these besides the cycletrader & craigslist? Now is it just me, or are the paper cycletraders different than the online sister? Ill take your advice- find the best running beater and go for it

But I the question still begs, if its crappy on the outside, how did they take care of it internally?? Sometimes I can't get over this.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

That last one came off Craigslist / San Diego...

This is my super secret method... DONT TELL ANYBODY!!!! GET IT!!!!!

Search every -which -way....

CR500

CR 500

CR500R

CR 500 R

C R 500

You will surprized what you find...

:wink:
Nomadic Cycle Racks

Bob, the question still beggs: If it looks like crap on the outside, what's it look like on the inside? Sometimes I just can't get over this.
Xylicon

Post by Xylicon »

Don't forget about CRF500, I've seen those before :lol:
97 CR500, 94 CR250, 87 CR125
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Nomadic Cycle Racks wrote: Sometimes I can't get over this.
The tranny is pretty tough, if it shifts good.... its good....And you WILL be putting a piston in it, regardless of any claims that the seller is making.

That done, the motor will be good to go for a looooong time.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ever bang an ugly chick @ 2:00am... some of those really put out...

Same difference.

Good Motor

Good Tranny

Good Radiators

"F" the rest.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

1995 CR 500 Nice, fast bike but I need to pay bills. Well maintained. $1500
760-365-0602

You need to search harder...

:roll:
Last edited by AlisoBob on December 11th, 2007, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

$2K sounds pretty good to me. Part out the rest of the bike and you've got maybe a grand in the engine, carb, electronics, etc. What's wrong with that?

Just don't sell it as a roller, you won't get much. Take the time to part it out. I parted out a peace of shit '96 and got $700.00, after shipping, on eBay. I'm sure you can do better than that.

Sure, you can get engines for really low prices but, as always, you may just get what you paid for. That POS '96 engine has turned into a cash-cow and I'm now thinking about starting over in the engine department. :cry:

Let the engine, etc, be your guide, not the price.

The sputtering you're talking about could just be a matter of leaning the needle a clip. I don't think that I ever owned a 500 that I didn't lean the clip on. Maybe it's just a sea-level thing, but wouldn't take long to try. Then again, if you try it, the guy might want to keep it. :wink:
Last edited by HrcRacing on December 11th, 2007, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomadic Cycle Racks

AlisoBob wrote:Ever bang an ugly chick @ 2:00am... some of those really put out...
Naa dude, quality not quantity. Hahahaha I get the point. If anyone sees anything else, let me know. I just want to find the right 500 before I search through the plethora of donor 250's.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

CR500R-G3 wrote:
Let the engine, etc, be your guide, not the price.

The sputtering you're talking about could just be a matter of leaning the needle a clip.

Yup

Yup Yup