Kayaba Spring Guides

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
MojoScojo

Kayaba Spring Guides

Post by MojoScojo »

You know those white spring guides inside your Kayaba forks? You know what I'm talking about, the big white things about 6-8 inches long with guide fins on them. Anyhow, over time these things have a tendency to swell up and cause the springs to catch on them resulting in a pretty nasty stiction. When I took mine apart for the first time a few years ago, I literally had to unscrew the springs to get them off. I didn't know any better, I had never attempted it before. So I put my new, correct rate springs in, and was amazed at how much better the bike performed. Well, after years of hearing how much difference having your suspension properly worked over can make, I finally caved and had mine done. The guy I took them to has 20 years of experience doing this and used to work for Race Tech. (he's also one hell of a woods rider up here) I also chose this guy because when I talked to him, he had solid answers for me on what he does, how he does it and what it's based on. He has EXTENSIVE seat time on all the bikes in some of the nastiest terrain to be found. When he goes out riding, he has telemetry hooked up to his bike and gathers data about exactly what the suspension is doing, dumps the data into his database and compares that to how the bike felt to him. WOW! I showed up early to pick them up while he was in the middle of working with mine and showed me what was going on. He then proceeded to take the guides to a grinder to make the springs glide over them like they should. I also had new valving put in based on what he and his database said I should have after discussing what I ride and how I ride. The best part? I only owed the guy $240 afterward.

Anyhow, they are back on the bike now, and I should be going out for a ride tomorrow to try them out. I'll let you know what happens.

If you have Kayaba forks with the white spring guides, check them out to make sure the springs slide over them easily. The black ones apparently don't swell.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Great post Mojo... I would like to see the bike with the information gathering sensors...

Gotta look pretty cool!

ellett

Post by ellett »

That looks more like a graph of Brit's throttle position during the AZ ride.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

B. A. T. H. C. C.
britincali

Post by britincali »

ellett wrote:That looks more like a graph of Brit's throttle position during the AZ ride.

What can I say.... I love the WFO feeling of the CR5, truth be told thats why we ride these things...... For those few seconds of insane fast BRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ellett

Post by ellett »

britincali wrote:What can I say.... I love the WFO feeling of anything with a motor, even a Ford Ranger....
I fixed it for you.
britincali

Post by britincali »

ellett wrote:
britincali wrote:What can I say.... I love the WFO feeling of anything with a motor, even a Ford Ranger....
I fixed it for you.

My "ranger" would smoke your chevy :D :D :D :D :D

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ellett

Post by ellett »

britincali wrote:
ellett wrote:
I fixed it for you.
Not in the sand.
britincali

Post by britincali »

ellett wrote:
britincali wrote:
ellett wrote: I fixed it for you.
Not in the sand.

Heres you in the "sand", gotta love low tide......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l9h0lnWM21s& ... ed&search=

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

britincali wrote:
ellett wrote:
britincali wrote: My "ranger" would smoke your chevy :D :D :D :D :D
Not in the sand.

Heres you in the "sand", gotta love low tide......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l9h0lnWM21s& ... ed&search=
:lmao: :devious: