The Start of my Winter Project

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Aftime

The Start of my Winter Project

Post by Aftime »

Well it just arrived. My ebay find of a 1986 CR500 engine that is going to drop into my 2005 CRF250 frame. Let the games begin. The pictures will start soon. I will be asking a bunch of dumbass questions.....and look for all the free advice available.
Aftime

Post by Aftime »

Image[/img]
It looks pretty good, water pump is passable but will likely need some help in the future. New RH case cover made out of aluminum?

Looking through the exhaust port cylinder will need to be checked out and at least honed, but it is apparently on the factory bore still. Shifts all the gears, has stealthy flywheel weight installed but it does rub on the cover by the looks of it. I am excited to get after it but need to get the donor 250F running properly so I can sell that engine to finance the build of the Aluminum 500.....

When I sold my '84 CR500 six years ago and bought the 450 I thought about that hard starting, pinging, tire spinning SOB every ride since.
Aftime

The start of dumb questions

Post by Aftime »

Starting the parts search. I am gonna assume the kick starter is the same spline on all years of Cr500. Is there a preference as to which year works best with a 2004 CRF250 frame?

What is the best carb for a '86 engine? Or do I aftermarket one?

Which is the best ignition system to run. I have nothing outside of the engine, need CDI and coil.

Whats the best pipe and silencer? Will be a woods bike.

thanks for any help.
kott0n

Post by kott0n »

I'll be watching this one!

I love my 1989 motor but I keep hearing how '86 had the biggest jump in power and they made head changes, lowering compression, in the years after. Going to keep this as a trail bike.

Anyways I hope to do an '86 for a sand bike.

People like the 38mm PWK Airstriker
Aftime

Post by Aftime »

kott0n wrote:I'll be watching this one!

I love my 1989 motor but I keep hearing how '86 had the biggest jump in power and they made head changes, lowering compression, in the years after. Going to keep this as a trail bike.

Anyways I hope to do an '86 for a sand bike.

People like the 38mm PWK Airstriker
Thanks for the carb advice I am thinking a pulse system may be in my future and I am told that requires a new carb and reeds....will see.

It will be my first shot at a conversion but from what I have seen on here and with my previous fabrication experience I should be ok. My only other CR500 experience was with a 1984 before I went to a 450 6-7 years ago. That thing wore me out trying to start it never mind ride it.....but it did hit really hard and is what got me thinking of a conversion way back then.
Just need to get the donor crf250 running properly so I can sell that and finance all the other goodies.