Jetting for elevation - help needed

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
GreyJones7

Jetting for elevation - help needed

Post by GreyJones7 »

Hi all. I'm currently at sea level, taking a birthday trip up to Gorman ca which is 4000 ft. My setup is posted below, please let me know if anyone has experience in jetting for altitude and any changes that need to be made. Thank you!

Main: 172
Pilot: 58
Premix: 40:1
Stock 87 with boyesen reed cage and fmf gnarly pipe
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

if it's running good at sea level you can still have fun with your current settings, will it run as good as it can? no. is it a whole lot less hassle? yes.
if anything just adjust your air screw to help it run better off idle, you can bring a bit smaller idle jet and main jet and a spare plug.
This is what I would do and by no means the correct way but I took my bike to st Anthony and had no problems with no jet change, the temperature was however in the 60s, you will probably be in the 90s up at Gorman this weekend.
the one thing I found different at elevation was starting, you may need a little more throttle for the start to get the right AF mixture.

If you do it this way you won't need to change it back for sea level, or burn up your engine next time at Glamis because you put off richening up the carb after adjusting for the elevation :wink:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!