1985-87 CR500 rear suspension

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
cleblabe

1985-87 CR500 rear suspension

Post by cleblabe »

I just wanted to share a little information. I have recently rebuilt the rear suspension of my 85 CR500. Check the swingarm and link bearings. Mine appeared to be ok until closer inspection. While I was in there I figured I would rebuild my shock too. I learned you should replace your link bearings every thirty years or so. The Showa shock shaft needs to be grinded down at the nut to remove it. This allows you to remove the valving body and shim stack. If you grind too much of the shaft away the internal parts that are in the center of the hollow shaft will come out. This is a big problem. The shaft had a collar that held all of the rebound components into the hollow shaft (which you ground off). Racetech makes a special nut just for this issue. It is around $10 and found under the "Parts" tab on their website. While I was ordering I figured I would get a gold valve kit for the shock too. It made a huge difference in handling. Just my 2 cents.[/flowplayer]
Harley Davidson-The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the benefit of horsepower.