Almost legal....anyone got any info on lighting ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Warpig

Almost legal....anyone got any info on lighting ?

Post by Warpig »

Ok guys im sorry if this has been posted but my research has failed. Shes running good since i threw the new head gasket in so now my last step in getting her road ready is lights. All i need powered is a headlight, tail light, and speedo. It has a headlight and tailight on there but they were merely a guise to keep the fuzz off the previous owner. Not sure of the brand/wattage. Looking to throw a trailtech vapor on there so i can control my hooning when need be. Can i power everything off a battery or do i still have to screw around with a stator mod/cdi box upgrade? Im really unfamilliar with how this all works but i know its been done before. Again sorry for my ignorance, none of my previous bikes had lights and i cant find any definitive answers. I know there has to be some motard guys on here...any help is greatly appreciated.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If you want enough power to run your lights then Eline is the way to go, not made anymore but they do turn up, not cheap, if you find something for around $400 you're doing well. The late model 250R setup can be put on the 500, I can't tell you much about them or what years but from what I understand they have a small coil for powering the electronics in the carb, could be used to keep a battery charged when lights are off. then there is the total loss using just a battery, get some nice LED lights that draw very little.
It depends on what you want it for, if you just need to show the DMV that you have lights and horn then the battery alone is the cheapest. if you're not doing much at night or getting too far from home in the dark then maybe the 250R setup, you also get the benefits of a better ignition setup.

2strokefoever probably has done the most research on these, I believe he is also running a radiator fan off of his system.

good luck!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Warpig

Post by Warpig »

Kuma wrote:If you want enough power to run your lights then Eline is the way to go, not made anymore but they do turn up, not cheap, if you find something for around $400 you're doing well. The late model 250R setup can be put on the 500, I can't tell you much about them or what years but from what I understand they have a small coil for powering the electronics in the carb, could be used to keep a battery charged when lights are off. then there is the total loss using just a battery, get some nice LED lights that draw very little.
It depends on what you want it for, if you just need to show the DMV that you have lights and horn then the battery alone is the cheapest. if you're not doing much at night or getting too far from home in the dark then maybe the 250R setup, you also get the benefits of a better ignition setup.

2strokefoever probably has done the most research on these, I believe he is also running a radiator fan off of his system.

good luck!
Crap. Yeah from what ive read the 250r swap requires some machining and i dont have a router. Do you know if the stock stator puts out enough to power a digital speedo? Cause realistically i dont even need a headlight because most of my riding will be during the day. I just need a tail light in case the police are behind me so if i could run a speedo off of the stock stator and an LED tail light off a battery id be good to go. I saw on trail techs site that the vapor works with the 95's but my bikes a 94.....i dont know what the difference is between the two years.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Stock stator is only for the ignition. these are race bikes :whoop:
thought about using a GPS? prices vary, I think just about all of them have a rechargeable battery and MPH built in, on top of that you will never be lost!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

I am fricking determined to come up with a bolt-in setup that will supply at least 60 watts of power so that a guy can run some lights on a CR5! Unfortunately this may entail selling my other CR500 so I can replenish the piggy bank for the dual sport build I'm working on.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

I think you can use a cr125 lighting stator with cr250 flywheel and CDI. Then you won't have to machine the stator backing plate. That's how I'm trying to do mine, but I'm still figuring out the battery setup.
-NF-
01 Tomos Targa LX (stolen)
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
87 Honda CR500R (basket case)
Warpig

Post by Warpig »

nathaniel wrote:I think you can use a cr125 lighting stator with cr250 flywheel and CDI. Then you won't have to machine the stator backing plate. That's how I'm trying to do mine, but I'm still figuring out the battery setup.
Let me know if you come up with anything. Im kind of lost here lol
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Actually the trail techs work off their own battery for speed-o, etc. I have one on mine but the unit failed. Too many vibes? IDK - was cool while it lasted.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Warpig

Post by Warpig »

hoofarted wrote:Actually the trail techs work off their own battery for speed-o, etc. I have one on mine but the unit failed. Too many vibes? IDK - was cool while it lasted.
So you charge the unit itself? Which actual one do you have? Cause from what i understand the 25W ricky stator lighting coil should be enough to power one LED tail light correct? Just trying to simplify this whole thing so i can register and insure this turd before it gets too cold to ride.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Warpig wrote:
hoofarted wrote:Actually the trail techs work off their own battery for speed-o, etc. I have one on mine but the unit failed. Too many vibes? IDK - was cool while it lasted.
So you charge the unit itself? Which actual one do you have? Cause from what i understand the 25W ricky stator lighting coil should be enough to power one LED tail light correct? Just trying to simplify this whole thing so i can register and insure this turd before it gets too cold to ride.
Only the trailtech vapor works off its own internal battery - and powers itself nothing else.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Warpig

Post by Warpig »

hoofarted wrote:
Warpig wrote:
Only the trailtech vapor works off its own internal battery - and powers itself nothing else.
Awesome bud thanks for the info. I know what im getting now haha
Plated '94 steelie motard build in progress....yay
motardcr500

Post by motardcr500 »

I haven't seen any info here on them but I know some of the green bikes are running a MZB ignition system with 100 watts for lighting or whatever.
I went to Penton's site to see if they were available for CR's but nothing yet.
Has anyone tried one?
other

lighting

Post by other »

The simplest solution I have found is the Ricky Stator 25W charge coil, running through a regulator/rectifier, and charging a battery. All feeds are then taken from the battery . . . . . My AF is based on a CRF450X, so I have used the standard size battery (5AH, I think) and the stock CRF/X lights (35W incandescent headlight, everything else LED). Even with this power-pig of a headlight, it takes 6 or 7 hours for the demand on the battery to oustrip the charge supply, and the lights start to dim. This is perfect for me, as I cant ride the beast for 7 hours non-stop ! Also, I retained all the factory road-legal equipment for ease of registration (laws are fkn tough in Western Australia !), but now that she's all legally registered, I intend to change to an LED headlight too, which should reduce the current draw, and increase the battery charge life again . . . . . . just gotta work on my fitness to keep up with it now !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
Warpig

Re: lighting

Post by Warpig »

other wrote:The simplest solution I have found is the Ricky Stator 25W charge coil, running through a regulator/rectifier, and charging a battery. All feeds are then taken from the battery . . . . . My AF is based on a CRF450X, so I have used the standard size battery (5AH, I think) and the stock CRF/X lights (35W incandescent headlight, everything else LED). Even with this power-pig of a headlight, it takes 6 or 7 hours for the demand on the battery to oustrip the charge supply, and the lights start to dim. This is perfect for me, as I cant ride the beast for 7 hours non-stop ! Also, I retained all the factory road-legal equipment for ease of registration (laws are fkn tough in Western Australia !), but now that she's all legally registered, I intend to change to an LED headlight too, which should reduce the current draw, and increase the battery charge life again . . . . . . just gotta work on my fitness to keep up with it now !
Hell yeah. I might have to try it. What battery and wires are you using? Weatherpoof setup? Until i get warp9's you know im dual sporting the crap out of it. Shes more fun in the woods than i initially anticipated hahaha
Plated '94 steelie motard build in progress....yay
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

I have a Moose 40W stator in mine that runs an LED Cyclops H4 bulb just fine. :lol: It dims a bit at idle but still works better than anything halogen. I use a capacitor from trailtech instead of battery