Bad head gasket? Halp

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Warpig

Bad head gasket? Halp

Post by Warpig »

After running ive noticed a little bit of something leaking under the gasket. It smells like coolant. Its not terrible but i still wanna address it. Do you guys think its just a bad gasket or something serious? Either way im picking up a kit on my way home from work and crackin her open, just wanna know what i might be in for haha. To my knowledge the top end is bone stock.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

While you have the head off, get a sheet of 400 wet/dry sand paper, and a flat surface, lap it a bit in a figure 8 rotating the head as you go, if its already flat you will see that it cleans up right away, if it's off very much, I would think about pulling the studs out of the cylinder and doing the same.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Warpig

Post by Warpig »

Kuma wrote:While you have the head off, get a sheet of 400 wet/dry sand paper, and a flat surface, lap it a bit in a figure 8 rotating the head as you go, if its already flat you will see that it cleans up right away, if it's off very much, I would think about pulling the studs out of the cylinder and doing the same.
Roger, will do
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Check the head is tightened down properly first before pulling shit apart
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
Warpig

Post by Warpig »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:Check the head is tightened down properly first before pulling shit apart
Too late lol. The head was tight and top end is in great shape. The old gasket was a little worn so i hope that was the problem. Do you know the torque specs by any chance? Putting her all back together after work.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

check if the front engine mount bolt is loose. That bolt loose can let the engine torsion on the head stay and make them leak at the most rearward portion of the head gasket. It can be seen o the head and cylinder as black marks. :wink:
motardcr500

Post by motardcr500 »

I love using Timesaver for lapping aluminum.

I don't remember reading about what gasket was used but I sure like OEM or Cometic.