Baja 500 finish

WTF Happened!!!!
Rhino89523

Baja 500 finish

Post by Rhino89523 »

The requested ride report.

I showed up rode and finished :D JK

O.K. so the original plan was for me to grab the bike in Ojos and ride the bike to the finish, that would have been about 410 miles. The other two guys were going to put in the first 40. On race day a bus had flipped and the road was closed, they were turning people around. Now in a full frantic panic we decided on the radio that I would take the bike in town. My buddy who paid for the whole thing rode the bike off the start to mile .4 yes less than half a mile, and I rode the rest (about 450 miles). I lost my GPS unit at like mile 30, which was weird since it has worked perfect for 2 years of thrashing. I had to run the whole thing on memory and markings and I had to guess speed in speed sections. Needles to say I blew it and missed a bunch of virtual checkpoints and sped some as well. I got docked about 2 hours for my mistakes so my official time is like 15hrs and 40 minutes my undocked time was like 13hours and 40 minutes. My official finish was 10th in class....not all that impressive, should have been more like 5th or 6th. If I was in the Ironman class which is essentially what I did I would have got a second. I really wasn't in it for the place I just wanted the finish and I officially got it. My XR650R never skipped a beat and was a great bike when you get tired, it will couch whoops at speed. For a fat old guy with essentially no training I did O.K. and I'm not super beat I could ride it again today. I am not really a Baja racer type guy. I like riding slow single-track and this is the most 5th gear riding I have ever done. I won't ride fast when I can't see so I got smoked by a few bikes in the beginning and I don't really do 100mph I just cruise consistent. I rode all my prerunning and the whole race with one washout in a corner at like 3mph.My goals were to make it in and out unhurt so I can still provide for my family and if I could accomplish my first goal and finish as well that would be a perfect day. I did both and am pretty stoked on the whole deal.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

That's awesome, are you planning to do it again or now that you have done that you move on to other things?
Congrats on a great accomplishment that not too many people have done!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

A Baja 500 Finisher Medal beats any of that shit handed out at the Olympics......

Your the friggin' man!!

I wish Brit was still here.... I'd make him give you a handjob....

:wink:
Last edited by AlisoBob on June 12th, 2014, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GB1073

Congratulations!

Post by GB1073 »

That is a huge accomplishment ! Well done, you should be very proud of yourself! All of us are! :D
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I'm jealous.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Some of you have met me. I'm a 6'4" overweight Dad, I mow my lawn on the weekend and take my kids to soccer practice, It's not really my style to toot my own horn, but I would be totally lying if I didn't say on the inside I feel like the coolest dude in my neighborhood right now. I'm really stoked I finished and can't believe I did it, I'm not exactly the pillar of fitness. My buddy who paid for the whole thing wanted to run the 1000 but I don't think I can with all the family responsibilities I have coming up....I'm a Dad first. I think he wants to pay for me to enter the ironman class next year, my unadjusted time we would have been second in that. It really is different to run that long vs sprinting 150 miles or so and switching riders. We will see. I could leave it alone and be done with it but it wouldn't bother me to do it again either. I wasn't sore the next day or even at the finish line. It was really fun and I am stoked to have that stupid medal.

I wish Brit was around too :D :D
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Hell yeah that's awesome!!!
jr475

Post by jr475 »

Great Job!!!

Sounds like you would do well in the iron man with the mind set of going for an afternoon cruise.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Congrats man! Glad that you accomplished what you set out to do! :cool:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino's 500 Finish Trophy.

Its a major award.....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Rhino89523 wrote:Some of you have met me. I'm a 6'4" overweight Dad, I mow my lawn on the weekend and take my kids to soccer practice, It's not really my style to toot my own horn, but I would be totally lying if I didn't say on the inside I feel like the coolest dude in my neighborhood right now. I'm really stoked I finished and can't believe I did it, I'm not exactly the pillar of fitness. My buddy who paid for the whole thing wanted to run the 1000 but I don't think I can with all the family responsibilities I have coming up....I'm a Dad first. I think he wants to pay for me to enter the ironman class next year, my unadjusted time we would have been second in that. It really is different to run that long vs sprinting 150 miles or so and switching riders. We will see. I could leave it alone and be done with it but it wouldn't bother me to do it again either. I wasn't sore the next day or even at the finish line. It was really fun and I am stoked to have that stupid medal.

I wish Brit was around too :D :D
On ya' mate
Totally know what you mean, when I finished Finke and got my rusty old railway spike for finishing I felt like I had one the race on the inside. If your anything like me your skills and speed while doing the race will increase every time you tell any poor soul who will listen. :lol:
Cheers
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Spy footage...

No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Damn! That's one hell of a save!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I wish I could ride that fast...but guaranteed I would not have saved it.