88 cr500 AF conversion?

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
throttlehappy500r

88 cr500 AF conversion?

Post by throttlehappy500r »

Hey there my name's Wayne and I'm 16 years old and started a project putting a 88 cr500 into a 01 cr500 chassis, only shortly after I started did I find out about AF conversions. Now I'm planning on doing one of those, but my dad insists that I finish my first project which is nearly complete.
I've ran into three problems with the build,
1. The Swingarm pivot bolt was 17mm while the hole in the case was 15mm. So I took it to a friend of mine and we detempered the bushings, then shaved them to the appropriate size, and re tempered them.
2. The coolant hose was in the way of the newer lowboy exhaust that was with the chassis, I simply found a hose that properly fits by going up and over the exhaust.
3. The carb and boot is hitting the rear shock do to the longer intake on the older engine, I'm still currently figuring out how to angle that.
My question is what 250 chassis would be the best for my 88 as far as minimal work with good results? I know that the 85-88 engines are a bit more tricky than the 89 and up.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Welcome,
I have a '01 Gen 2 frame, was not a project I bought it that way :? from previous discussions gen 2 or 3 is the way to go but check out the active build thread going on now, there are kits available that makes it less of a chore. just go though the AF section, there are threads on all bikes, along with different methods of dealing with the "Y"
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
GB1073

Post by GB1073 »

Welcome Wayne, my son and I built 2 CR500 AFC's using the 2003 Gen 3 250 chassis, we used a 1994 engine in one & 1995 engine in the other. Not sure what issues there may be using the 88 engine. Lots of information on the Gen 3 conversion on this site.
Good luck and keep us posted. :D