street bike project

Recount your rebuilds here!
nathaniel

street bike project

Post by nathaniel »

I'm alittle confused about what to do at this point, so it's time to ask the experts.

I got the bike because it had a title, and had no trouble getting a plate for it, but now I'm not so sure what year I have. The coolant lines from the engine are parallel to eachother, and vertical, but the tank I have on it is supposed to be specifficly for the 87. I'm worried about buying more parts like foot controlls, pegs, and plastics. Will these things fit from latter years, or are there any problems? The expansion chamber I just got fit just fine.

I've also been told it would be a good idea to update the front suspension with inverted forks. Since the current forks have started leaking as of this year, I've been concidering it. After some reading online though idk if I should just freshen up the old ones, or go right into the coonversion... any thoughts? What's the price comparison? If it would cost as much to rebuild these as it would to get new ones, I might go for new!

I have more questions, and a list of parts I'd like to get the oppinion of the forum on, but that will have to wait untill after work, so for now please reply

Thanks
-NF-
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

The motor sounds like 1989 up, non USD forks were only offered up to 1988. Without seeing the bike or the pipe I am just guessing waht you have. Not sure what you are asking on the pipe.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

Nothing about the pipe, it looks great as far as I can tell. Just wondering if the frame is any different from 87 to 89.....
Crap... now I feel extra dumb. As I'm thinking about it I remember there being a plate with the years 86, and 87 on the frame. Since it has rear disk breaks I guess it was produced in 86 for the model year 87. This is why I hate doing this without the bike in front of me :(
So I guess I answered my own question about the frame. As for the engine, it must have been swaped in. How do I tell what year it is? Or do I need to?
If I can get my shit together I'll ask some more specific questions when I get home.
The other thing was, to swap, or rebuild the front suspension bassed on price.... if I should move that particular question to the suspension section, please let me know. I'm not tryin' ta get banned from here too :?

-NF-
james1985

Post by james1985 »

The engine could be original the old cases wrotted all the time and the newer style are available and dont wrott
1991 cr500 fmf fatty, power core, milled head, porting, reed spacer, lightened flywheel and pwk 39
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Could be the same cases for sure but if the water pipes run parrallel to each other and one of them doesn't go to the back of the cylinder near the carb the cylinder has been changed as well, I believe to do that you would also have to run the longer rod out of the later motor...all doable.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

this is the head she has now
was this, you can see the gas leaking out down the side
not the best pic in the world, but you can see how the coolant lines come straight out of the water pump. shouldnt they be at an angle if it were the original engine?
i gotta be make this kinda short because i on the work computer on my break. anyways i had most of that parts list typed out last night, but it got deleted before i could post it, and by then it was midnight.... but now i have all weekend, and will probably go to my friends house where the bike is, and clean it up......

one quick thing, are maier plastics going to match flash red? amazon has the side plates and rear fender, and i was planning to replace, but want it to match the frame.
thanks
-NF-
other

Post by other »

That looks like a stock 87 to me, apart from the seat which shouldn't be red on an 87 . . . possibly an 88, or at least an 88 seat-cover ? ? But then again, what the hell do I know !? haha
Engine number will confirm it for you once and for all . . . . that's an interesting decompressor in the "installed shot, but nothing in the "head only"shot . . . what's the story ?
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

That engine is all 87 except the right side cover that is 89 or later.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

That's actually an "as purchased" shot. In that pic you can see it leaking gas down the side of the cylinder, so a friend swapped it with the other one. It works fine for me without the decompression valve. If you're interested in the old one let me know. I don't plan to use it, but I will eventually need a stock (or replacement) head for the "pile of parts" bike. Trade? I didn't get to work on her this weekend, but I'll check the number on the engine next time I'm there, and post.

-NF-
mr500

Post by mr500 »

2001 seat cover maybe even seat too.
I'd vote '87 model.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

It's an 87 for sure. I was there last night, but forgot to look for any number on the engine.
Got some new parts, and more on the way! Maier "orange" (supposed to be flash red... looks close enough) side number plates, ufo black front fender, some $15 footpegs, and my new tail light. I want the pro moto billet fastway foor pegs, but those are over $80 on amazon :(
The tail light looks really nice, but I still have to work out how to mount it. It's an integrated LED brake, turn signal, and plate light for a 94-07 ducati monster. I should have snapped a pic..... I will later.
I also got the UNI foam air filter in the mail already, but have been wondering, since this bike is going to be for road use, would there be any advantage, or danger with a k&n cone filter inside the original air box? They have them for 4 strokes, but idk which one would fit my old bike.

More parts on the way, maier red rear fennder, trail tech x2 dual sport headlight w/ cover, moose ez pull clutch, IMS shifter lever, sunline front brake lever, and a new FMF powercore. Unfortunately the powercore I have has damage on the tube that connects it to the expansion chamber, and none of the muffler shops I checked have small enough pipe to fit... damn.... that's another $100.

As for the seat, it's not just a red cover. It doesn't reach the tabs on the subframe. Luckily, the ripped up seat from the parts bike IS blue... so I'm assuming it is the right year. I still don't know what color cover it's getting, black or red.... leaning to black so I don't have to try to match the fender color.

That's it for now. Pix next time hopefully
-NF-
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

6601076 is the engine's number.... so how is that decoded?
Those orange number plates aren't gonna work out so well. They match the original plastics fine, but I accidently got a nice red rear fender.... and I like the red better, so :roll:
You can also see the damage on the original seat in those. It's out for a new grippy black cover :cool:

Pegs I got don't fit... aparently there's a difference from 87 to 88.

Here's how I want the tail light to be mounted.... working on the mount and plate bracket soon.

Headlight, and black front fender. (Sorry about the glare)

New exaust.
Last edited by nathaniel on December 17th, 2013, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-NF-
01 Tomos Targa LX (stolen)
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
87 Honda CR500R (basket case)
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

6601076 is the engine's number.... so how is that decoded?
There should be a PE02E before that number but........ 87's start at PE02E-5600101 to 5604112 maybe your is a replacement case?
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

It's anyone's guess what the guy I got this bike off of did to it. I think that's the only identifying mark on the engine. It's right behind the shifter lever. This number is also stamped into the frame; Jh2pe0205 hc 600527
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

frame number looks to be an 87 first one was HC600014
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

A few new parts, and some more on the way. Ups has been delayed by the extreme (for this part of the world) cold.
Pro taper cr hi bars with highway dirt bike ultimate handguards with turn signals, mirrors, and key switch mount... I'll get e better photo when I get to wiring them.
Now I'm just waiting on the clutch cover so I can open 'er up and see what the problem is. Then it's on to the ignition and stator, and wiring up all the new lights.... this waiting's killin' me.
Left cover is on
...seat's still not back with it's new cover obviously, so I threw the red one back on for now. And I still haven't taken care of the rear brake situation. Whatever though, it's still too cold to ride anyways.
Here is an idea of where I want to go with this project, and a sketch of the custom vinyl decal for the tank. Sorry, but I don't have a scanner right now, and haven't made the vector graphic for the decal
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

The design for the tank decal has been turned into a vector graphic. It might get stretched and resized some when I have time to take some measurements before it's cut. I also made that side view into a vector graphic so I can try different colors on the frame before it gets painted..... probably stick with a red though

By the way, I can make just about anything as far as vinyl decals go...... in case anyone needs anything that's no longer produced...... I might not know enough to help people here out with their bikes, but I can contribute something :)
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

I got my seat back last week. I've just been working a lot, so didn't post, but here it is
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)