1986 Clutch help??

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Mr350x

1986 Clutch help??

Post by Mr350x »

So im sure this has been gone over before but i am unable to find what i am looking for.. Here is my question/problem, i went to the dunes for a Tune run and towards the end of the first plug chop run my clutch started acting up, i suddenly had alot more play in my clutch lever than when i pulled it from the trailer (i had to pull it in more than half way for the clutch to grab), so i tried to adjust the cable to compensate for the extra slack and than after another 10 minute ride it did the same thing.. Is there something specific i should look for? Hopefully this isn't something major because i have a ride coming up on the 21st and i need to have this thing going.. Any help would be great.. If there is a thread about this issue can someone post it or point me in the right direction.. Thanks again!!
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

well its not that hard to pull the cover and have a look.. remove the flywheel cover also and look at the clutch arm. did you have it apart recently?
Mr350x

Post by Mr350x »

I forgot to add that while I was out there I did pull the stator cover to see if anything obvious was wrong and I didn't notice anything out of place or broken.. also just the other day after all this happened I pulled the right side case/clutch cover to do the 2001 case conversion because it was the 86 style that is magnesium and it was leaking water, anyways everything in that side looked normal also, on the other hand I am no expert.. the only thing I changed right before the ride was the clutch cable and I adjusted it so that it had the same slack as before.. any thoughts.. thanks again and sorry for my ignorance
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

well I would pull the clutch cover off, relieve the tension on the clutch basket then start at the clutch lever and work your way to the clutch lifter that sits in the clutch basket assembly.. this should be an easy problem to diagnose..make sure the clutch lifter arm behind the stator cover is not worn out and is sitting properly with the pushrod.. this is important. make sure the pushrod is installed properly with the ball that sits in the clutch lifter..
Mr350x

Post by Mr350x »

So i think the clutch arm is the the problem, i pulled the left side/stator cover off and noticed there is left and right play in the clutch arm, when i move the arm right towards the back of the motor it works perfect but when i move it left to the front of the motor it has issues.. Is there something that could have broke inside the motor or that would have came apart? It has worked fine all summer than all of the suddon it dont work properly.. Is there supposed to be a gap between the end of the clutch rod and the stator back plate or is it supposed to rest on the backing plate? in pics i looked up it looks like there is not and mine does have a gap.. Any advise or ideas of what has gone wrong and a possible solution? I have 5 days to get this fixed..
Mr350x

Post by Mr350x »

Anyone? I only have a few days to figure this out, anything would be appreciated.. What holds the clutch arm in anyways?
james1985

Post by james1985 »

Did you do anything to the clutch new cable or something that would of effected the way itwuld work? if so double check your work and re set it up. When i installed my new clutch cable i had to reset my cable adjustment 10 mins into my ride
Mr350x

Post by Mr350x »

The only thing I Replaced was the clutch cable, I didn't mess with anything else other than the pipe and carb that's why was so confused. The clutch arm in with the stater is moving left and right and when I move it left it don't work and when I move it right where it seats all the way it works fine.. Is there something on the end of the clutch arm that keeps it seated inside there?
Oh and i have adjusted the clutch cable a few times and now there is no more adjustment before i run out of thread
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

the only thing to do is inspect it.. seriously it's easy.. you have to make sure the pushrod is engaging on the arm properly.. take off the clutch cover and outter clutch hub.. you need to see the pushrod move while you are working the clutch lever.. i'm sure once you pull it apart the problem will be apparent.. go check and report back..
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

Just pull your clutch cover and the pressure plate from your clutch,there is a ball bearing in the lifter that MUST be there for the 86 clutch to operate properly,do not lose it,pull the pushrod out and go from there,if you pull your mag and stator you can pull the clutch arm right out,your problem is somewhere within these few parts
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
superGreg

Post by superGreg »

On one 86 I had the ball was partially crushed. Something to consider:)
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

supergreg is right, my 85 had a crushed ball also..