Base Gasket Blowing out

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
abrracing

Base Gasket Blowing out

Post by abrracing »

had part of the base gasket blow out yesterday on my 85' CR500.. all the cylinder nuts were tight but it still blew a small section out of the left side.. the lower cases and cylinder is already dimpled to hold the gasket in place.. this happen to alot of these bikes? im thinking of maybe using an adhesive on the new base gasket?
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

IS there a part number for the cometic base gasket with metal?? Is it an actualy metal shim or is the gasket still paper with metal in it?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Are you using OEM gaskets?
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

the base gasket was a moose racing gasket. I read in another thread roostius recommended the cometic metal gasket.. i was going to order one today if I knew the exact one to get.
saharamike

Post by saharamike »

I use oem base gasket and torqued to 35ft/lb according to my original '85 cr500 manual. I ride hard on my bike, didn't blown any gasket yet. when you are installing gasket, do criss-cross pattern on nuts slowly.
85 cr500
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

abrracing wrote:the base gasket was a moose racing gasket. I read in another thread roostius recommended the cometic metal gasket.. i was going to order one today if I knew the exact one to get.
Then call his ass up, Rosty knows his shit on these.
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Thanks Jay, the cometic gasket comes in every Cometic and Wiseco head set for 1989-01 motors. C7020 and W5223 are their part numbers.
The material is aluminum with a sticky coating on both sides. The reed gasket and the base gasket are made of the same material and are .012" thick.
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:Thanks Jay, the cometic gasket comes in every Cometic and Wiseco head set for 1989-01 motors. C7020 and W5223 are their part numbers.
The material is aluminum with a sticky coating on both sides. The reed gasket and the base gasket are made of the same material and are .012" thick.
thanks for the reply Roostius.. My bike is an 85' so is there a metal available for that? aren't the base gaskets the same for the 500's ??
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

The base gasket is the same 1984-01. You can use everything but the head gasket.
abrracing

Post by abrracing »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:The base gasket is the same 1984-01. You can use everything but the head gasket.
thank you sir :cool:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Do any of you guys use hondabond on your base gaskets?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Tharrell wrote:Do any of you guys use hondabond on your base gaskets?
I don't, but have scraped some off once that shit is amazing .
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Tharrell wrote:Do any of you guys use hondabond on your base gaskets?
I don't, but have scraped some off once that shit is amazing .
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

dry
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Looks like it would add a little bit to the equation and maybe prevent an air leak.
My old Yamaha vintage bikes don't use a case gasket, just a coating of Yamabond.
Funny, they do use a base gasket though and I have added Yamabond before dropping the cylinder on.
I've also added Yamabond to the intakes too.
Was thinking of doing it to my '85 when I saw this post yesterday.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I had the same problem on my 500. Cometic gaskets are the way to go, no problems since
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.