Project Low Boy complete

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
bigpower

Project Low Boy complete

Post by bigpower »

Holy, an unprecedented 3rd post in a yr for me. Thought maybe a few of you fellers be interested in this latest project we had going in the Nadakuhn Skunk Werx. Since I updated the suspension on both my CR's, my good bro, mentor and partner in crime, decided he needed one those fat 50mm Showa shocks on his 2000 KX500. After figuring out what we needed to do as far as modifying the Showa shocks for the CR, hey, why couldn't we put one on the KX.
Well, there's a few problems, mainly the pipe. Kawolskis have an "up" pipe, mainly to clear whats on the right side of the motor, and being the pipe goes thru the subframe, the 46mm KYB shocks resevior actually points down instead of up like the same shock does on the Honda. First old mate thought he'd use one of my old CR Gnarlys, we made a flange and such for the kawackers exhaust manifold, but it became quickly evident that it wasn't gonna work. Close, but unless we did some serious mods to the water outlet on the cylinder, it wasn't gonna happen. It was then decided just to start from scratch with some pieces of old KX pipe, a little cut and fab job. A Miller Dynasty 350 makes this job much easier, and after a bit of finagling, wella, there it is in the picture.
This project also requires a modification to the airbox and relocation of the rear brake resevior.
We fired it yesterday, and boy does it sound good. He's currently using the Turbine core off my 98 CR, its down for a full starbase refit, so not needing it now or prolly the rest of the yr. His report after riding it a bit was very positive. Incidentally, his machine also has a Showa front end from an 09 KX250F, so now hes got the complete updated suspension on his old skool tech.
Heres some pics. Bear in mind, this bike has some very interesting mods to it, most of which are parts you can get from your local Kaw, or yes, Honda dealer. Remember, if they don't make it for your bike, you make it....if it doesn't fit your bike, you can get it to fit....

Look at that gravy boat brake resi........That has a Kawasaki part #

Back view

He doesn't like a rattling pipe, so why not put 6 springs on. The mounts are something to behold too. Thank God for the McMaster-Carr catalog....

I'll be mounting some of these dual piston calipers on my 500's, that part has a Honda #, the heat sink we made

Looks like it belongs there, and you can bet its a ripper

OK, I'll go away now, 3 posts in one yr, sheesh, I've overstayed my welcome. For more information, visit the CRE 500 Honda page on Facebook
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
JB

Post by JB »

Where can i get one of those spare spark plug holders under the tank on the 2nd pic??
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Yeah I liked that plug holder too.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I could make those
okotok

Post by okotok »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:I could make those
I'll take two.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I used to have a Yamaha sled with dual plug holders.
Roosty could probably make nicer ones...
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:I could make those
That plug lug was made using a small piece of 6061 drop, a hacksaw, file, drill press/drills, and obviously the tap. So yes, with a shop full of NC machinery, you should be able to...............
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"