GEN 5 to 2001 CR250 Spacer Question....

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
dayusmc

GEN 5 to 2001 CR250 Spacer Question....

Post by dayusmc »

I tried searching the forum, but didn't have any luck. I am going to put a 2001 CR250 Motor in my GEN 5 2013 CRF250R. I know that almost everyone on here puts CR500 motors in, but I figured that I would ask because there is a ton on knowledgeable people on here and I might have some luck... I am trying to figure out what size left and right swingarm spacers to use for my 2001 CR250 Motor in my GEN 5, would anyone happen to know? I tried a 54mm on the left side and it definitely pushed motor over to far to the right. I have a 46mm + 2mm washer in the left hand side now and it looks about right. I have the 54mm on the right side and it looks about 1mm short of being right. I guess it depends on how much the frame is supposed to be squeezed after tightening the axle bolt... Also it looks like the sprocket should be centered on that little nub that sticks out of the front of the swingarm that the swingarm rubber goes around, does anyone know if that is correct?

My Plan- To make an Engine Jig (Unless anyone knows where I could buy one ), I already ordered frame rails from Paul, next would be to have a Billet Y made (if there are any machinists out there that could make one if I gave them the measurements let me know), next would be the airbox to carb adapter and the gas tank adapter.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. But I am not going to put a 500 motor in it, I am sure there will be people telling me to do that...

Thanks-
Kyle
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This is allot of work, with nothing to gain. The Gen 3 CR250R chassis is one of the best handling bikes ever......

:roll: x 491
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

AlisoBob wrote:This is allot of work, with nothing to gain. The Gen 3 CR250R chassis is one of the best handling bikes ever......

:roll: x 491
Thanks, I have a Gen 3 CR250 already. I want a Gen 5, just my preference ....
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

My advice would be to make the spacers with no additional clearance between the swingarm. You do not want to pinch the swingarm at all.
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

cmotodad wrote:My advice would be to make the spacers with no additional clearance between the swingarm. You do not want to pinch the swingarm at all.
Thanks, If I did that I wouldn't catch enough treads on the swingarm bolt. After looking at it some more, I am wondering if I use a 49mm (stock 2001 spacer) on the left side and a 54mm (stock 2012 ride side spacer) on the right side. My thought was to look at a stock 2012 CRF250R and see how many threads are showing on the swingarm bolt, but that was just a thought...
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

I think that is a good idea. You would not want to put tension on the frame and create premature cracking.
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

cmotodad wrote:I think that is a good idea. You would not want to put tension on the frame and create premature cracking.
Ya, that is what I am afraid of.... It is looking like the 49mm Left side and 54mm Ride side might be the ticket. As I build this thing, I will post all the part numbers and diagrams of the parts needed. I am working on the fuel tank plate now. My friend has a water jet, so he said he will cut out the plate for me. I will put the drawing up after we make it...

I am actually building 2 of these. I bought a brand new 2013 CRF250R to put a 2001 motor in it. Already sold motor and all that stuff out of it. Then I came across a 2012 CRF250R Rolling Chassis, so I bought it. I am building the 2012 first, then I am going to mimic it with my 2013 (I don't want to take a chance messing up my brand new bike.

Thank you for replying to my post, I know I am new here, but I really do appreciate the advice and help!!
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

No problem. One thing to remember is " no clamping and no binding" when doing the welding. No tension on anything is good. Have Fun
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

I figured out the spacer sizes needed to put a 94-01 CR250R Motor in my 2013 (2010-2013) CRF250R... Hope this info helps someone-
Left Side (Chain Side) is a 49mm Spacer with the stock collar, Right side stays stock (54mm). The part number is 52141-KZ3-J40 for the 49mm. Interesting enough, the stock 2000-2001 Swing Arm spacers both are 49mm, so you can use them if you want. The difference from what I can see is the the Gen 5 CRF250R has Aluminum collars and the old CR250 has Steel collars, but everything is the same size. I am using the newer version just so it matches the other side...
As I build the Bike and find the parts that I need, I will do a build tread with part numbers and measurements...

Kyle
jayj500

Post by jayj500 »

Any update on this? I'm getting ready to do the same conversion with a gen 5 chassis. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

jayj500 wrote:Any update on this? I'm getting ready to do the same conversion with a gen 5 chassis. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
I just started working on this again. Hopefully I will have an update soon...
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

Getting back to my GEN5 conversion. I recruited Mickey Kessler to do the welding for me as I am not a welder at all. Justin at LoudMouth MX is also helping me by making me some of the custom parts that I need to have CNCed... He has my gas tank and is making me a plate for it that will actually go drop into the hole some and use the stock O-Rings. Roostius Maximus made these killer Coil Mounts and fuel petcock mounts that I got from him. I am currently on the hunt for the perfect fitment for airboot/box plate setup not to hit my shock (I am avoiding rubbing my shock as much as possible) Once my airbox is mocked up I am going to send it to Justin at LoudMouth MX to make out of billet and be a bolt on item that anyone can order from him (Same for tank adapter). I want to that everyone that has been helping me and dealing with me asking 1000 questions!!!
Kyle

Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

I pinched this from roosty for my gen 5, instead of the hassle and cost of machining up a plug for the fuel injection pump hole in the tank just get a stuffed pump assembly (ebay / dealer) and cut out the fuel pump leaving the backing plate to mount to the tank. This will allow you to use the stock O rings bolts etc and looks OEM to boot.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:I pinched this from roosty for my gen 5, instead of the hassle and cost of machining up a plug for the fuel injection pump hole in the tank just get a stuffed pump assembly (ebay / dealer) and cut out the fuel pump leaving the backing plate to mount to the tank. This will allow you to use the stock O rings bolts etc and looks OEM to boot.
Dam, Why didn't I think of that!! Both my bikes had good fuel pumps so I gave them to friends of mine...
dayusmc

Post by dayusmc »

Here is something like what the Tank Piece will be like. Uses Stock O-Rings and the bottom tank fitting from a 2007 CRF450...