1999 CR500R refresh. I WANT TO RIDE!

Recount your rebuilds here!
mr dirt

1999 CR500R refresh. I WANT TO RIDE!

Post by mr dirt »

First off is a big thank you to BlownBillyBob and also this website so I could find him. That was one fine bore job that was done for me!!! I
had a hard time with some people wondering why I was sending my cylinder all the way to Cali, just to be bored. I knew why!
My dream chasing can continue now, Thank you!
The rear shock started leaking oil late last year. I decided that I would keep the bike and put some money in it. The white frame was real rough looking. I like the black powder coat! This was a very fun winter project!
ImageImage

ImageImage[/img]ImageImage[/img]ImageImage[/img]ImageImage[/img]Image[img][URL=http://s386.photobucket.com/user/buckzi ... 0.jpg.html][IMG]http://

I purchased this bike in July 2011. The prev. owner said it was re-ringed a couple years before. I took it apart after putting close to 200 problem free hours on it. It was a Wiseco, but intake side skirts were cracked.[IMG]
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Dang, mr dirt, it took you 2 years to find the key board? welcome to :clink: the site
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

:bling:
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

nice steely mate
love the lt 500 in the background
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
mr dirt

I want to ride!

Post by mr dirt »

Thank you for the welcome Kuma! Sorry that I did not post in the "introduce yourself" section before this. I guess that I probably do not like to talk about myself, but here we go.
I was born in 1962. My dad had a small motorcycle shop that he worked in every night after he got home from his day job of running a service station in town. His love for motorcycling was very strong and most of that rubbed off on me through the years with a lot of it remaining in my blood. As I was a child, he made sure that I always had something to ride. He took me, with him and his buds, to all the local and regional flat track & moto x races that we could find.
As I grew up, I got interested in 2 stroke quads, TRX's & LT's. I was very much into motorcycling and at a fresh age of 23 years old in 1985, when the four wheelers started showing up. I got hooked! Although, I always had a dirt bike with a headlight laying around and still enjoyed the two wheel freedom.
Now, at 50, I am trying to grab all of the gusto that I can out of life! That is why I felt that I needed a CR500R. A search engine brought me here to look at a SH 500R that was for sale and was even located right in my home town in N.E.Ohio. I passed it up because I felt that the engine needed to come apart right away. It was very noisy. Even though I could do the work myself, I could not not spend that much money at the time and have to come home and tell the wife that I needed more.
I found this 99 in July and lost my dad in October. He never got to see me carry the front tire on this one like I did on all the other bikes in the good ole days. This winter, I put this thing together (with love) to ride as a tribute to him.
That is his signature on the clutch cover.

Wish me luck, I am single tracking this bike with guys less than half of my age who ride on bikes that I can not even pronounce the names of.Image[/img] I love this pic... even without the seat!