02 450 head stay

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
NightBiker07

02 450 head stay

Post by NightBiker07 »

Long story short, the head stay on my bike is worthless. I want to fix it, but I have a problem.... I dont have the stock aluminum horseshoe piece. Cant find one on Ebay either.

At this point, I basically have a straight iron bar with tabs that go from ONE headstay mount on the frame, over to the head, then to ONE headstay mount hole on the frame on the other side. NO triangulation/strength here at all, totally worthless.

What would my options be? I dont want to buy a whole frame for the head stay....
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Make a mount tab similar to what is attached to the cross member(shock mount) on your 250, weld it onto the 450 frame and bend some plates - best way possible is to copy what is on your gen2 cr250. You could make it all with just some small scraps of aluminum (1" thick block by 2"x1") hardest part would be getting it welded to the frame
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Not a bad approach there. But, it seems like the tank may interfere with that? I would simply go look at the bike, but it is kind of buried right now.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Thanks Bob - exactly what I was getting at - do it like Honda did the other two strokes in aluminum frames, or to say it otherwise - same as a steelie 500 also