need a propeller

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
2strokeforever

need a propeller

Post by 2strokeforever »

i started building an airplane, but i cant do anything till i find a propeller
i am looking for something reasonably priced 3' to 5' dia that can handle 150-200 horsepower (has to be aluminum or composite. wood wont work)
controllable pitch would be great (if i can find one)
ground adjustable pitch would be good
or even a regular propeller would work

heres the idea im copying

it makes enough lift to take off verticaly, the model in the video couldnt because there wasnt enough airflow over the control surfaces

heres that planes specs
Crew: 1
Capacity: 4 passengers
Length: 28 ft 8 in (8.74 m)
Wingspan: 41 ft 2 in (12.55 m)
Height: 10 ft 10 in (3.30 m)
Empty weight: 3,675 lb (1,667 kg)
Gross weight: 4,925 lb (2,234 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 5,400 lb (2,449 kg)
Powerplant: 2 × Continental IO-470-D piston, 260 hp (190 kW) each

Performance
Maximum speed: 200 mph
Cruise speed: 180 mph
Range: 1,150 mi
Service ceiling: 22,000 ft
Rate of climb: 2,500 ft/min

my design will used only 1 prop/channel above and behind the pilot, not sure if i will use any wings or not, it will be able to land on water on its belly, but will also have tundra tires that fold up for ground landings, i will also be buying a parachute

the reason for the water landing is that is how i am going to learn to fly it, float out and stay less than 10 feet up till i learn how it behaves. if i crash over water 10 feet up it shouldnt hurt anything except my pride ;D

for an engine i will be using a rebuilt (polaris) snowmobile engine with the CVT unless i can get a controlable pitch propeller, then it will be chain or belt drive ( i like the sled engines, plenty of power for takeoff, but very reliable when used at part throttle/ cruise)

i am hoping it will weigh about 500lbs dry, leaving room for 1000 lbs of cargo (hopefully me, the 500, riding gear, and fuel :-?)

its frustrating cause i have to build the plane around the prop and i dont have a prop
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Uncle Bob has the props :lol:
serious tho, he has built almost everything already, I checked it out in his shop last fall. Looks like the smaller pic you posted.