Pipe repairs

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
NightBiker07

Pipe repairs

Post by NightBiker07 »

For those of you guys that have a cracked, plated pipe, have it TIG welded using a Stainless filler rod. I have about 4 cracks on my pipe, and all look to have been Tigged with stainless. The welds dont rust a bit, and it didnt get into the plating too bad on my PC Platinum, you can hardly tell it was welded from 10 feet away. I know a steel filler rod would surface rust all day long.

Just a thought for you guys!
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
other

Re: Pipe repairs

Post by other »

NightBiker07 wrote:For those of you guys that have a cracked, plated pipe, have it TIG welded using a Stainless filler rod. I have about 4 cracks on my pipe, and all look to have been Tigged with stainless. The welds dont rust a bit, and it didnt get into the plating too bad on my PC Platinum, you can hardly tell it was welded from 10 feet away. I know a steel filler rod would surface rust all day long.

Just a thought for you guys!
Just a footnote, use 309 filler if possible, as this is designed for welding stainless to mild steel or carbon steel, and is more ductile. 304, 316 and 316L would be more inclined to crack again down the weld margin.
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider