trail port job?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
burt01

trail port job?

Post by burt01 »

I am going to be rebuilding my bike and wanted to get a trail port job done on my cylinder. who would you guys recomend sending it to and what prices i be looking at for a good job?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Roosty is the man for porting.

For trail work stock everything works pretty good.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
other

Post by other »

Rhino89523 wrote:Roosty is the man for porting.

For trail work stock everything works pretty good.
Agreed, but I'd qualify that by saying gear for the terrain, and fit a Rekluse. It is THE trail weapon of choice for everything except desert. I'm a recent convert, but they rock !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

250 ign, hyd clutch, then if you have spare cash porting

roostys work is real good

if you would rather push your bike up hills instead of riding it up jump on the rekluse and trials tire bandwagon
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
burt01

Post by burt01 »

i ride in idaho were the trails are skinney as the tire rocks are big as the bike. I already have geared low 13 53 and it does good i just want more so who has had roosties port and how does it work ? how does it change the bottom to mid? And i have used a trials tire.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i got his port work, it pulls harder earlier and revs to the moon

i run 14/49 and theres no shortage of power, even if i leave it in 2nd
And i have used a trials tire.
if you want more when youre in first and second gear guaranteed your bike isnt running right, fix jetting, replace reeds, repack silencer, put a real tire on, check compression, turn choke off, take rag out of airboot....
porting isnt the answer unless everything is running perfect and you still want more

if your bike dosent do this find out whats broken and fix it
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJnkeAZ ... r_embedded[/youtube]
the beauty of a 1 finger all day clutch is you have the full 50 horsepower available to you in a split second anywhere, any time, any gear
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
burt01

Post by burt01 »

My bike has no issues running and with that gearing im running it is a tractor. I was just seeing how a trail port job would maximize my power. I like to lug slow over trails but open it up also.. i wasnt saying my bike was a peice of shit running like a 450 so no need for the smart ass comments!! Just wanted some imput on if a trail port job would gain me anything. I am running a milled head boyessen reed and stock pipe with a fly wheel wieght. i never stall and dont want to but i would like the most pull i can i dont want to be a desert racer or rev to the moon either and yes my bike will willie over if i was dumb enuff to let it lol.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I'm not coming in here on the defense, but you're asking for results of the porting and being answered.

Itll add 7fltbs at the peak and more than that lower on the curve and you'll find a stall resistance that will have you removing the flywheel weight. The added torque also let's you pull the gear longer and smoother.

The revving to the moon is possible because I'm getting more fuel to the plug, at 8700-8800rpm the stock motor fuel loads to leave a lean plug read but no matter how much fuel you add it won't burn. The ported motors go past 10,000 easily.

Here's a crappy clip from me on a hiking trail this winter

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aac4wcEB7e0
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i wasnt saying my bike was a peice of shit running like a 450 so no need for the smart ass comments!! Just wanted some imput on if a trail port job would gain me anything
put some big boy panties on, i was just letting you know for slow tight trails other mods will make a bigger difference in lap times or ability to clear an obstacle
but yes the porting is great to have and i am happy i got it

max ive seen on a working tach was 11400rpm, thats with the trail porting and gnarly pipe. its not a screamer powerband its a low rpm powerband that revs out
i think this is it, stock green, ported red, and ported and cpi pipe blue

i have run the 500 ignition with porting and it still stalled too easy, but with the 250 stuff its stupid proof
my thinking is you need a 250 ignition to be able to feel the extra stall resistance the porting gives?

just taking the FWW off will wake your bike right up, ive rode a few bikes with FWW and i didnt think the flywheel weight did anything for stalling, just made the bike feel slower, another 500 rider i ride with noticed the same thing

heres a video of how it behaves with roostys porting and the 1999 250 flywheel and cdi
no 500 will ever be able to idle like my bike at 10:49 with the stock ignition, thats the 250 ign in action
but you can tell the power is very easy to use, and theres no shortage of power or torque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiokkPFb-IE
4stroke=dead fish
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Like 2strokeforever says the 250 ignition is the MAN.
I rode my bike for the first time with a 250 ign in the bush last weekend and I'm still raving about it!
It transformed it from a wheel spinning snappy staller into a faster, harder to stall, easier starting,cleaner burning,easier to control,point it at a hill and it will tractor up.
When you want to blast into orbit just wind it on.
I did notice that I stalled it a few times in 2nd gear thinking I was in first gear! It runs so good down so low I still cant believe it.
You can hear the CR's using the 250 ignition they have a Tink-Tink-Tink where's the 500 ign has a slower rolling Bink...Bink...Bink sound.
I can only imagine what its like when you add a hyd clutch to it. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o68dm5yPCKw&hd=1[/youtube]
Last edited by mr500 on August 17th, 2012, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
burt01

Post by burt01 »

Thanks guys that port job sounds realy fun to try and i will have to try the 250 ignition ...so whats the price range on the port job roostie? ........what year 250u ignition works best? ?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i run the 1999 ignition, i hear all the digital behave almost the same

the porting isnt cheap, but i figure its well worth it if you will take your 500 to the grave, like me

keep in mind roostys porting isnt just a little grinding in the ports, its pretty extensive :wink:
4stroke=dead fish
burt01

Post by burt01 »

:D 500 till i die for sure .......in a few months i will be contacting roostie and in the mean time get a 250 ignition.. thanks again for the input