Is it worth the money . . . . ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
other

Is it worth the money . . . . ?

Post by other »

What is the general consensus of opinion here, please ?
Is the PWK that much superior to a well jetted PJ in performance ? I'm not after ball-tearing top end, just clean crisp carburation off idle through to mid range. Standard top end power is fine for this old man ! Is the improvement worth the $250 price tag of a PWK ?
freeride588

Re: Is it worth the money . . . . ?

Post by freeride588 »

other wrote:What is the general consensus of opinion here, please ?
Is the PWK that much superior to a well jetted PJ in performance ? I'm not after ball-tearing top end, just clean crisp carburation off idle through to mid range. Standard top end power is fine for this old man ! Is the improvement worth the $250 price tag of a PWK ?

Yes its worth it very much they make the bike run better everywhere and i love mine. Talk to BOB if you are thinking about buying one he can get you a good deal on one like he did for me.
Kevin
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

...if'n it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Personally, if I were to do an upgrade, it'd probably be the 250 ignition.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The PWK is more rideable....

The 250 ignition is more power...

It depends what you want.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Stock Rocks...right down to the steel frame!!!!!! :cool:
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote:Stock Rocks...right down to the steel frame!!!!!! :cool:
:cool:
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

AlisoBob wrote:The PWK is more rideable....

Have you watched 2strokes4ever's vids? Holy crap, that's some serious low rpm stall avoidance.

No longer have a CR500.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I've seen the vids and must admit it does bog pretty low, but in the easy stuff mine will just idle through it totally bone stock. We must also remember 2 stroke weighs like a buck forty so my bike has to do double the work just letting the clutch out. Over on the other side of town Dredge rips those ignitions as total crap, but I rode AP's bike with one in it and it felt good to me, but I honestly couldn't tell that much difference and I am just so used to how my bike rides I wanted my bike back.

I guess my stall resistance comes from knowing how whatever motor I'm on wants to run and clutching or shifting to compensate. I really should just stop commenting on anything because I have always said I just ride whatever is underneath me...doesn't even matter that much. CR500 is just easy to maintain, reliable and needs no modifications to make enough power to satisfy me.

2 stroke swears by the 250 ignition and he seems to like to tinker with the bikes a lot, he rides a lot, and he knows a lot. Listen to 2 stroke, Bob, Roosty, Mojo, pretty much anyone but me. I just flog stock crap and it always feels and works best for me.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Ignore me, I just ride. I hate wrenching and tinkering.
No longer have a CR500.
other

Post by other »

AlisoBob wrote:The PWK is more rideable....

Cool, PWK it is then. (I want rideable ! I have a 250 ignition as well . . . )
Bob, what sort of deal can you work on the PWK ?
Is the 39.5 the best option for all round rideability ?
Do my jetting specs transfer straight over from the PJ ?
Thanks everyone, input much appreciated.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

With shipping + import duties to OZ, I'm not sure how good my deal will be for you.

What can you get the 39mm PWK for?
other

Post by other »

Rhino89523 wrote:Stock Rocks...right down to the steel frame!!!!!! :cool:
Yep Rhino, you're right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock PJ at all. The bike is a pleasure to ride, but it's 20 + year old technology, and as such can always be improved on. I was really just being greedy ! I guess I was asking if the PWK gave $250 worth of improvement !
Last edited by other on July 5th, 2012, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aac4wcEB ... ture=g-upl[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aac4wcEB ... ture=g-upl

This video of my bike has a motor more for wfo, but it shows the lug. I did porting to 2strokeforever, set it up for the tight stuff. Its got alot to do with running low also.
other

Post by other »

AlisoBob wrote:With shipping + import duties to OZ, I'm not sure how good my deal will be for you.

I've never had to pay import duty on anything privately imported from the USA yet, so that may not figure in the equation . . . . . Best price I can get is $273-05 USD including insured freight to my door. The best deal an Aussie retailer will offer me is $450 AUD, claiming that is discounted down from $750 ! No wonder we don't buy local for anything other than oil and other consumables ! The Aus industry needs to sharpen up it's game or face extinction ! I think $273 sounds pretty good ? Do the jetting numbers transfer straight across from PJ to PWK ?
other

Post by other »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:
This video of my bike has a motor more for wfo, but it shows the lug. I did porting to 2strokeforever, set it up for the tight stuff. Its got alot to do with running low also.
G'day Adam,
I assume the your bike is PWK equipped in that vid ? Hey, congratulations on the new arrivals ! How are you enjoying sleep deprivation, crappy nappies (diapers ?) and loss of your last few moments of free time ? Awesome, aint it ! I almost miss mine being a baby . . . . cuts into your riding time though !
Donny Downunder

Post by Donny Downunder »

other wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:With shipping + import duties to OZ, I'm not sure how good my deal will be for you.

I've never had to pay import duty on anything privately imported from the USA yet, so that may not figure in the equation . . . . . Best price I can get is $273-05 USD including insured freight to my door. The best deal an Aussie retailer will offer me is $450 AUD, claiming that is discounted down from $750 ! No wonder we don't buy local for anything other than oil and other consumables ! The Aus industry needs to sharpen up it's game or face extinction ! I think $273 sounds pretty good ? Do the jetting numbers transfer straight across from PJ to PWK ?
I know what you mean there man I got quoted from an Australian suspension shop $90ea for top out springs for my Ohlins forks the genuine Ohlins part was something like $5ea from an Ohlins dealer in the US its out of control over here :x . Import tax only applies to orders over $1000 and if its a private sale you can fudge the price anyway.
95' CR500 Steelie
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Do the jetting numbers transfer straight across from PJ to PWK ?
the only major difference i noticed was the pwk likes a smaller pilot 40-48 usualy
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
other

Post by other »

thanks 2St.
other

Post by other »

Well, my PWK has arrived, and despite pre-purchase enquiries to the vendor regarding Sudco's jetting (to which the response was it has model specific jetting from the factory, whatever the fuck that means !) it arrived with, get this, a 160 main, a 60 pilot, a DGH needle (although the box is marked DGI), and a 6.0 slide cutaway :shock: . Based on my current, slightly rich, jetting (172 main, 55 pilot), this is SO rich on the bottom, and SO lean up top, it is virtually a guaranteed seizure ! At least I wouldn't have to bother bending down to turn the choke on to start it ! Looks like I'm up for more bucks to jet this bugger even close, which is disappointing when you buy a brand new bike-specific carb ! May even have to try hitting the fucker up for a free 170M, 50P and a DGL needle, as an alternative to a lawsuit for a melted engine ! sigh
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

The sudco catalog shows what they do for their jetting, Ja, it's evil lean.
Rule of thumb is to start with a main jet of the same number as exhaust degrees, I'd go 176 for a starter on any stock jug 500. The pilot relates to the slide, if it's a 6 slide it's probably a 50 pilot , if it's a 5 slide a 48. The slide will tune the detonation on decel better than having to shove enough pilot at it to make it live and result in making it a bugger to start.
If its a 41 pwk, it needs more pilot jet because of is slower velocity at low slide openings, a 39 on one motor might take a 48 where the 41 on the same setup could need a 52, seems kinda whacky but its all relevant.
other

Post by other »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:The sudco catalog shows what they do for their jetting, Ja, it's evil lean.
Rule of thumb is to start with a main jet of the same number as exhaust degrees, I'd go 176 for a starter on any stock jug 500. The pilot relates to the slide, if it's a 6 slide it's probably a 50 pilot , if it's a 5 slide a 48. The slide will tune the detonation on decel better than having to shove enough pilot at it to make it live and result in making it a bugger to start.
If its a 41 pwk, it needs more pilot jet because of is slower velocity at low slide openings, a 39 on one motor might take a 48 where the 41 on the same setup could need a 52, seems kinda whacky but its all relevant.
Good input mate, thanks. It's a 39 PWK, and I currently run a 172 main on the 39 PJ, and unless I'm playing in the desert, it's just a bit rich. Was gonna try a 170 ? The 60 pilot would be just hopeless . . . . I currently have a 55 in the PJ, and it's fat (yeah, I know I'm too cautious !), and from what 2stforever is telling me, PWK's like 'em leaner than the PJ's as well ?
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Hi Other,

how did your jetting turn out? I would be interested to know what jetting your running for future referance??

cheers Max,