1990 roller or part out

Come on in, No registration needed.... Thinkin' about stepping up to the ultimate dirtbike? Ask any questions you need answered.

ALSO: Post anything your looking for, or that is taking up space and you want to get ride of.. ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE BETWEEN THE BUYER / SELLER!
Rhino89523

1990 roller or part out

Post by Rhino89523 »

O.K. I picked up this bike and it is the closest thing to a new bike I have ever felt. When I touched it it reminded me of being in the Honda dealer when I was a kid and feeling new bikes and thinking one day I would love a new bike. I run steely's and keep my bike in great running condition but it didn't feel like this.

Do I feel bad about tearing this one apart...Yeah a little, but I am a rider not a polisher and I was in need of some stuff to keep my personal bike going. This bike is missing the motor and every wear part. Motor, all electrical, carb, throttle, radiators clutch lever and cables, some hardware, pipe, chain,rear brake pedal and sprockets (even though there is a rear one in the picture) are all staying with me. Other than the rear sprocket what you see is what you would get as a roller. I would actually love to keep the frame for myself but figured I would offer it up first. I'm thinking $600 for the roller. The rims don't have scratches yet, the tank and side panels are as nice as it gets for something this old. I am open to offers on parts as thisis the route I would prefer to go so I get to keep the frame as a backup. I have the pink.

O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Will that seat fit my Gen4 A/F????
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

wow - it is clean!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Haha you wish...it's soft and nice!!

Looks like I'll be finishing the part out and keeping the frame and hardware. All factory bolts untouched, the only bolts that had been off previously were the seat bolts. The tell tale sign for this bike is a crease mark in the rear fender...sombody got scared and parked it, kept it around to tell everyone he rides a CR500...he must be a bad ass right?

I am still feeling a little bad because it was so clean, but for the next ten years of abuse I get out of the parts i'm keeping I'm sure I can get over it. The paint isn't even rubbed off the clutch cover. Never been bored, stock piston thats still shiny on top and the tranny shifts so good. I'm pretty stoked...but it's a bad day for the CR500 pureist's.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i just bought a guts racing tall soft foam and a red grip cover....

its feels better than a steelie 500 seat, only complaint i have is with a new m5b i cant touch flat footed anymore :lol:, but i think its worth it for the couch seat.
besides your feet are suposed to be on the pegs, not the ground
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Holy Fuck. That IS nice! The frame undamaged? Completely?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

2strokeforever wrote:

its feels better than a steelie 500 seat, only complaint i have is with a new m5b i cant touch flat footed anymore :lol:, but i think its worth it for the couch seat.
besides your feet are suposed to be on the pegs, not the ground
I was looking at one of those for my 04 and 93. What density foam did you buy?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

:lol:
i think its almost perfect density for long trail rides
i havent felt the seatpan thru the foam, but i dont weigh anything
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

The frame has zero damage, zero stripped holes as no bolts had ever been removed and pretty much all of its paint still on it. Its a shame, I need a desert tank, skid plate, and my suspension, then the first day of life with me it just gets bashed to death. If I had more cash or was really into restoring bikes I would keep this thing whole and as is. Unfortunatly what I like about CR500's is they rip and are reliable as a stone. This thing keeps me rolling in the parts for a long time and that makes me smile.....but the 19 year old kid in me looking at a 1990 CR500 at the dealership and wishing I could by one died a little :(
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

2strokeforever wrote:

:lol:
i think its almost perfect density for long trail rides
i havent felt the seatpan thru the foam, but i dont weigh anything
Lol. Oopsy. My bad. Missed that part. Well, I weigh 265 in gear so I'll go with the medium. A friend of mine just bought a 12 250SX. Sat on it. Like sitting on a concrete block. Thats the foam they call hard at Guts. Pass. I get kicked in the ass enough to know that medium is all my back will take.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Hey Matt, have you ever tried putting the 93 subframe on the 500 frame? I did that to mine and it just ROCKS. I'm thinking of doing a steely again, since I still have an entire roller left. A Bailey tribute, with my own ......
"adaptations" shall we say, and riding that too. Sure made the bike a lot more rideable. Wide at the pegs the way I like it, but skinnier at the knees and turned better. Weird, I know, but it helped.
Is your plastic the right colour for a Bailey or it was a different red with less orange? I want to say wrong colour from the pics.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have put a bunch of different years of CR500 parts together, I don't honestly know what is what anymore on my bike but I am currently on a 1990 frame with later model subframe. Are you talking about some other kind of subframe? I think it is the right color for a Baily replica but you might be right. I love the way this bike looks, if I was a polisher I would keep it as is. I love the way my bike rides and feels so this beauty donated it's life to keep my roach rollin.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Fuck I'm a dumbass. 93 CR250 subframe. Minimal work to install. Airboot changes right up. Cutoff and reposition left lower mount up a bit I believe and top mount moves back a little, on top of stock mount. The airboot and right mount positions everything and weld away. Have to make a little extension for the the top seat button on the tank, that the seat slides into. Silencer as well. Sure is a great mod.
STUCK IN 500 LAND

Post by STUCK IN 500 LAND »

Man, thats a nice roller. Why are all the good rollers on the west coast? I'd love to do an 89+ project for my 88 motor. I love my beercan, but I also love the lazyboy-ness of the steely. And thanks Matt (superhoon) for the protapers (s). We might have to steel Grovers cape so you can wear it with the Elmo jersey! If you ever need somthing and i've got it, you got it!
,Tom
There's a fine line between "just enough throttle", and "way to fuggin much"
Waz

Post by Waz »

price on front and rear fenders, tank and shrouds shipped to 90680 CA please.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I think I may have it sold as one piece. I'll let you know.
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

That's one sweet 90 dude.
other

Post by other »

If it makes you feel any better Rhino, the '90 had the worst, harshest front suspension of any CR I ever rode, so it may be pretty, but it's no beauty to ride . . . . .
Rudy2

Post by Rudy2 »

Second on the tank fenders and air box to Seattle area shipped to 98077. I will take it if everyone else backs out.
Phone number pmed
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

It is too pretty to part out so I just kept it. Agree the front suspension suck so I got some left over '97 stuff I put on. Finishing up a motor for it and it is going to be a sand queen.