www.500conversions.com update

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
warrnum

www.500conversions.com update

Post by warrnum »

Hi guys,
Well on tuesday it was supposed to be a great day for me I took delivery of my 500af instead since then it has been a total nightmare and it looks like I have been screwed. Firstly when I was taking delivery, sliding the crate onto the trailer I noticed a hairline fracture on the rear rim, no damage near the spot so there was no way it happened on the way it was sent out like that.

There is only 2 springs on the expansion chamber, clearly this is not right but this is not a major thing but just another issue to add to the list.

I was told it would have 2 new sprockets and chain fitted, I didnt have a close look at this at home but as I pulled in to my local track to try her out on the sand track behind it ( only wanted to give a quick test on sand as was unsure how much pressure to put on rear rim )a couple guys walk over and the first thing they said was you need new rear sprocket, I claimed right back it was supposed to be fitted with a new one On close inspection they were correct the sprocket is trash. All minor things so far but still very unacceptable.

well now to the real issue, I noticed on pick up the rear brake lever was hard up against the clutch cover, it was a concern but I wanted to ride it first. After 2 small laps I pulled over to check the seals ( oil leaks etc ) and noticed I could barley push the bike, the rear disk was scolding hot. It seems with the position of the lever and with it getting hot was increasing the pressure on the disk, well straight back to the trailer and put it away.

Now I am clearly upset, we are not rich I saved a bit and borrowed the rest so I could have a bike to ride with my son, something I have been waiting 5 1/2 years for now I have anchor. Bob has some pics I sent him could you please post them for me mate.

The other crap I can live with the $2 clutch lever, the tear in the throttle grip all minor shit I can fix but this is crazy. I joined you guys after I had ordered the bike and straight away I was told to beware, you guys were right. If the engine is in the wrong offset, I dont know guys I too upset to think straight at the moment, its already cost me sleep.
Jas.
josh

Post by josh »

sounds like they took what they had available and made a bike. was this a homemade conversion? did you supply the chassis, or did they piece it all together? i have been there, and got way more than i expected (bad stuff) but all this stuff can be fixed, and I'm sure it will get sorted out. its not worth getting burned up over!
reef

Post by reef »

You know I thought Grant learned his lesson with me.

I threatened legal action. My brother is an attorney.

Once Bob got involved things started rolling. My bike was a disaster when I got it.

After months I finally got the title, and Grant made me some wheels to cover my expenses. I really thought I was a "one off". We spent one night on the phone for an hour and he kept me updated on the progress of the title and wheels.

Mine leaked for everywhere. The stator case is bent, and mine wouldn't start. I could write a book about all the issues I had.

Almost every evening for a month I worked in the garage to get mine right. Now she runs like a champ.

I pay 3 cents a minute to call the UK. Send me your phone number if you want to talk, and a good time to ring. I'm not an expert on the bikes, but since owning mine I've got a good grasp on them. Everyone on here helped me, and I'll do whatever I can to help you. This is personal for me because I went through the same crap.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

reef wrote:...... This is personal for me because I went through the same crap.
Cool deal.....

On the bright side..... so far, there have been so structural issues with Grants bikes.... just hassles and bullshit.

Once you get it sorted out, hopefully it will stay together.

I'll call Grant for you tomorrow, and try to get this straighted out from this end.....

In the mean time..... all the Hoons should either call, or send a email that Grant has one shot to make it right with Jason....

Please call Grant @949-677-0668 or email : grantkeene@gmail.com
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

sorry to hear jason where abouts in oz are you
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
sky6709

Re: www.500conversions.com update

Post by sky6709 »

warrnum wrote:Hi guys,
Well on tuesday it was supposed to be a great day for me I took delivery of my 500af instead since then it has been a total nightmare and it looks like I have been screwed. Firstly when I was taking delivery, sliding the crate onto the trailer I noticed a hairline fracture on the rear rim, no damage near the spot so there was no way it happened on the way it was sent out like that.

There is only 2 springs on the expansion chamber, clearly this is not right but this is not a major thing but just another issue to add to the list.

I was told it would have 2 new sprockets and chain fitted, I didnt have a close look at this at home but as I pulled in to my local track to try her out on the sand track behind it ( only wanted to give a quick test on sand as was unsure how much pressure to put on rear rim )a couple guys walk over and the first thing they said was you need new rear sprocket, I claimed right back it was supposed to be fitted with a new one On close inspection they were correct the sprocket is trash. All minor things so far but still very unacceptable.

well now to the real issue, I noticed on pick up the rear brake lever was hard up against the clutch cover, it was a concern but I wanted to ride it first. After 2 small laps I pulled over to check the seals ( oil leaks etc ) and noticed I could barley push the bike, the rear disk was scolding hot. It seems with the position of the lever and with it getting hot was increasing the pressure on the disk, well straight back to the trailer and put it away.

Now I am clearly upset, we are not rich I saved a bit and borrowed the rest so I could have a bike to ride with my son, something I have been waiting 5 1/2 years for now I have anchor. Bob has some pics I sent him could you please post them for me mate.

The other crap I can live with the $2 clutch lever, the tear in the throttle grip all minor shit I can fix but this is crazy. I joined you guys after I had ordered the bike and straight away I was told to beware, you guys were right. If the engine is in the wrong offset, I dont know guys I too upset to think straight at the moment, its already cost me sleep.
Jas.
It sounds like this asshole needs the same treatment GSS Porting received on this site. I live in California, so let me know if I can help. Maybe some face to face might get it resolved.
If you think size doesn't count, you can't count.
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Thanks Guys I appreciate what anyone can do to help me in this shit situation. I am in Darwin Gregobo a long way from anywhere, but some great riding spots. Any help or advise on how we can tackle this prick will be appreciated, A great shout out to Bob who has been so helpful and going the extra mile to help me. Cheers mate and to the rest of you guys who have offered help that is very Kool Thanks
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

josh wrote:sounds like they took what they had available and made a bike. was this a homemade conversion? did you supply the chassis, or did they piece it all together? i have been there, and got way more than i expected (bad stuff) but all this stuff can be fixed, and I'm sure it will get sorted out. its not worth getting burned up over!
No Josh check out www.500conversions .com it is a company with a website a company I am quickly learning that doesnt deserve to be called that, a hack more to the point.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

warrnum wrote:
josh wrote:sounds like they took what they had available and made a bike. was this a homemade conversion? did you supply the chassis, or did they piece it all together? i have been there, and got way more than i expected (bad stuff) but all this stuff can be fixed, and I'm sure it will get sorted out. its not worth getting burned up over!
No Josh check out www.500conversions .com it is a company with a website a company I am quickly learning that doesnt deserve to be called that, a hack more to the point.
He is definetly a homemade conversion guy but he gives them a bad name. There are members on here that make " homemade conversions" that will blow Service Honda out of the water in every way. Good luck with getting it sorted out I imagine you will as the Aliso Dog has been let out of his cage. Grant probably didnt think this site was in OZ he will get a nice surprise.
Kevin
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Grant told me a replacement wheel is being shipped, and he's going to work with Jason to make things right.

I had a conversation with Grant about what he needs to deliver to his customers to keep this from reoccuring again, and again, and again....

We'll see where this ends up.

Jason, update this after you and Grant come to a agreemnt on what he's going to do for you.
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Is he going to email me Bob, or should I email him? I sure will keep you guys posted on progress. Words cannot say how greatful I am to have you in my corner, hope he follows through but your efforts sooo appreciated.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I sent you the email he sent me stating he would replace the wheel.... you didnt get it?

:?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

warrnum wrote: I sure will keep you guys posted on progress. Words cannot say how greatful I am to have you in my corner, hope he follows through but your efforts sooo appreciated.
Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.~ George S. Patton
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Yes I recieved the email thankyou, but at the moment the wheel is a minor issue compared to the rear brake, the agent still claims the rear sprocket is brand new, now he has the coin he dont dont a flying, guessed Id have to expect that, I flicked you a email mate to show you where at, there will be no joy from this end.
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Anyway I would have thaught a 2008 CRF250 would have excell rims on it, he uses a 2008 roller so why is there such old rims on it ?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

warrnum wrote:Yes I recieved the email thankyou, but at the moment the wheel is a minor issue compared to the rear brake.
I stock clutch cover will help some, and a spacer under the pivot should do the rest. Its not a big deal.....
sky6709

Post by sky6709 »

AlisoBob wrote:
warrnum wrote:Yes I recieved the email thankyou, but at the moment the wheel is a minor issue compared to the rear brake.
I stock clutch cover will help some, and a spacer under the pivot should do the rest. Its not a big deal.....
It's not big if you don't have to pay for the privilege of fixing it yourself.
If you think size doesn't count, you can't count.
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Does anyone have a stock 2001 clutch cover laying around I could throw em a few bucks for?? Looks like I have to take off the Brand new Boyesen to give me a few mm's
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

warrnum wrote:Does anyone have a stock 2001 clutch cover laying around I could throw em a few bucks for?? Looks like I have to take off the Brand new Boyesen to give me a few mm's
...is your brake lever made out of some totally unbendable metal or something? I've had to make on trail modifications to mine before. There IS an adjuster on the lever for position as well...

Maybe a picture is in order?
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

hey mojo I have sent Bob a pic and asked him to put in on, as I dont know how. I tried to bend it out but it needs to come out 7-8 mm, I only recieved the bike 2 days ago and the lever is clearly rubbing under the base of the boyesen cover. There is no way it can be bent that far and also not putting allot of pressure on the reservoir, which will cause other issues. I also will need to pack it out about 4mm even with that at the moment it is still hitting the cover.
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Hi Guys,
Looks like Grant is going to come through with the parts and he has told me how he thinks I can fix the rear brake pedal issue, any of your input on this would be great. I recieved a reply email within a couple hours of sending mine.... see below
Hi Jason,

Yes, I will send you a new rim and spoke kit.

Did I guarantee you new sprockets? I do have a new iron rear sprocket on the shelves, not a "Iron Man" brand, but a brand new iron rear sprocket non the less. If you want it Ill put it in the box.

I will be sure to send you the two remaining springs too.

As for the rear brake lever you have some options.

1) You can shim the pedal. I will send some washers to shim it away from the frame.

2) You can remove the pedal from the rear master cylinder and adjust the clevis up (this brings the pedal down, away from the cover).

I will try and get you parts off late next week, or early the following week.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Grant
Well if Grant is sending me a rim and spoke kit, I have susgested I will send him the hub as I dont have the tools or know how to do it and I would rather pay the postage on that 1 piece than pay a bike shop $140 hour to do it. I not sure how long it would take but that not the point, would cost allot more than postage.

Bob do you think the above will work? You have seen the pics. Well all seems good news so far, we are heading in the right direction I have no doubt thanks to Bob, Cheers mate. Just recieved a email from grant he has agreed to me sending the hub over.
Last edited by warrnum on April 27th, 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I would expect Grant to pay the shipping to make it right.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

You could re lace it yourself it's only a pattern, take some measurements of the offset rim to hub take photos of the lacing pattern find yourself some v blocks and take your time
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

You can keep the Boyesen cover on easy. I'm working the same chassis and all I did was heat and bend the brake lever in two spots. Bend out closer to pivot and back in towards pedal.
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Mik329 wrote:You can keep the Boyesen cover on easy. I'm working the same chassis and all I did was heat and bend the brake lever in two spots. Bend out closer to pivot and back in towards pedal.
Same here. Same chasis, same cover, a little heat, a little bend, Done.