New member intro/ questions

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Nortoneer850

New member intro/ questions

Post by Nortoneer850 »

Hey everyone, my names Chris and I'm a 25 yo firefighter in Oregon. I currently ride an 06 crf 450r but grew up riding cr 250s and 500s.

I don't have much ability to fab or make my own parts but doing a conversion seems feasible. I don't want to cut up my current bike because I will miss a lot of riding so I'm on the lookout for a roller and motor.

I've decided on a 450 frame because I like the size and possibility of a bigger tank. I've read through a ton of posts on this site and have some questions I was hoping you guys could help with. Is replacing the full cradle a better stronger option? Next, what should I expect to pay for a roller and running motor? I'm on the lookout but don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks in for all of the great info posted on here already, this site rocks! I hope to be starting one of these ASAP, I've become obsessed over seeing your projects and bringing back my love of 2 strokers!
ridin4fun

Post by ridin4fun »

Welcome, Norton. Have you considered doing the same generation conversion as your running 450, so that you can swap parts along the way as you progress? Buy a 2005-2008 450 frame, airbox and whatever radiators you'll be using. As you do your mods you can swap everything else over and ride your conversion, once you have a CR500 (or running engine). As you accumulate the parts to complete both bikes, you can put all of the best parts on your favorite bike, which will certainly be the 500. You'll either sell the one you don't want (that would be the 450) or have matching bikes of different strokes. The best advice I could give you is to be patient, both in buying and building. Wait patiently and the right roller, or complete bike, will come along. The trick is having the money in your pocket when opportunities present themselves. You can buy an entire running (or close to it) CR500 for what most people are asking for an engine. Good luck in your build, and thanks for laying your life on the line for the people in your community. That kicks ass.
cr500beercan

Post by cr500beercan »

I just had a 05 450 conversion done , guy does fantastic work !!!! He's located in Cali
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Call Stoffers...