stall resistance

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
2strokeforever

stall resistance

Post by 2strokeforever »

figured id post the reasons why i love the 250 digital ignition here too...

so heres how low she can go, keep in mind i am running a nice and light flywheel, really this is better than a xr200, i doubt theres anything to be gained by adding weight

another one, that noise at 1:33 is the engine stalling, then roll starting itself :shock: just like the OE 500 stuff :barf:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWeHmGBR ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

heres me on a trail riding how i would normally, 4th gear the whole way, no clutch slipping, just pulling it in for the corners and dumping it with some gas on the exit, if you want smooth power stop wasting your time on a FWW, this is as smooth as it gets boys and girls (as far as power delivery, not riding style :cry: )
riding like this keeps the gyros to a minimum for a skinny guy like me
got a 952 with no side knobs on the front, and a fried 140 M5B on the rear
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQh7-p1d4ts
[/youtube]
heres the same deal but in 5th, its too high a gear but its to show how the motor will behave with a proper ignition, if that isnt smooth enough for you then youre beyond help

decide for yourself, but i say its more tractable than my trials bike, yet extremely responsive
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

That 5th gear lug is pretty flippin' smooth....
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

The motor isn't stock, just a ignition isn't the whole story.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i'm sold. Have not tried the 250 ignition myself. I think you have just convinced me to get of my arse and do it already.
cheers
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

The motor isn't stock, just a ignition isn't the whole story
true its not stock, but if i swap back to the 500 stuff (and i have more than once) i cant lug down even close to the same, it does seem a bit better than other 500s i have rode, but those 500s were not jetted properly, who knows what pulsar gap, reeds......
some other stuff may help it from stalling, but it will be a small fraction of what the 99 250 ignition does
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
other

Post by other »

Is there a way I can get the advantages of the 250 digital ignition, and still have a lighting coil ?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

when i had a lighting coil (electrosport L99) i had other electrical issues so not 100% sure what was what, but i dont think it would lug down quite as low as those vids, but it was still light years better than stock
stock the stator has 8 poles, on a lighting coil 5 of those poles power your light leaving only 3 to power the spark

i will be putting it back on as soon as it heats up to run a fan and i will get some more vids and compare them to see for sure if it affects it
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/871239 ... d-to-read/

I posted this a year or so ago here as well, I don't know of anyone else that has done it.

I have a couple new stators that have 40 watts they put out. Not sure what they would do if they were rewound.
quicfix500

Post by quicfix500 »

Nice videos . whats your gearing?
other

Post by other »

seanmx57 wrote:http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/871239 ... d-to-read/

I posted this a year or so ago here as well, I don't know of anyone else that has done it.

I have a couple new stators that have 40 watts they put out. Not sure what they would do if they were rewound.
Yes, I read that with great interest Sean. Only thing that put me off a bit was the additional flywheel weight, which I think actually hurts a 500 as much as it helps a 250 . . . . also, I run everything through a standard CRF450X battery to retain indicators, parklights, and all the other crap for road legality, so I only need about 25 watts at most to keep it charged for normal use. OK, If I rode all night, and had the headlight on full time, it would gradually flatten the battery as the charge rate failed to keep up with consumption, but I cant see that situation arising, frankly.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

So you should be good with a 250 set up, 40 watt units are easy to find and no work to install.

Curious how you figure adding weight to a 250 FW installed on a 500 would be harmful. It's not like it's going back to a 500 FW.
quicfix500

Post by quicfix500 »

Hey twostroke, what is your gearing? thanks
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i usualy run 14/49, but its 13/49 in that vid, but i think that is irrelevant the sprockets have nothing to do with how well the engine runs
4stroke=dead fish
quicfix500

Post by quicfix500 »

2strokeforever wrote:
i usualy run 14/49, but its 13/49 in that vid, but i think that is irrelevant the sprockets have nothing to do with how well the engine runs
I heard how well it runs down low. just wanted to know your gearing. it was your 5th gear video that got me wondering.