homemade jet

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
2strokeforever

homemade jet

Post by 2strokeforever »

heres my 3rd and best running jet, made it in grade 10 summer holidays, figured the dimensions i wanted, cut out the steel, found someone to roll it, brought all the pieces to my uncles house and welded it up.......

then i set the turbo on a rock, with a cordless drill spinning a chevy oil pump which was sucking out of a 1qt oil bottle :rotfl:(i had about $7 into it at this point)

the look on my uncles face when it fired right up was priceless :lol:

the camera makes it sound quiet, but its loud, cant hear yourself yell loud
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRgOxTj ... e=youtu.be [/youtube]

right now it runs off propane and makes 28 lbs thrust at 30 psi boost (guessing/hoping 160 000rpm) and will idle down to 1/2 a psi of boost. 30lbs isnt enough to power a go cart.... but if (when) i get it converted to shaft power that will be 25-30 horsepower at the wheels

heres my bigger jet, 55lbs thrust (60 000rpm ish) i start it with propane then run it off diesel, gas, used oil.... but since i was too broke to buy proper nozzles it ran kinda crappy, 10 second delayed throttle response :shock:

right now the plan is to hook up the hot section of the big turbo (in the pictures) to the exhaust of the jet in the video..... that will be easy, the hard part will be converting 60 000rpm and 2.5 ft/lbs torque to 6000 rpm and 25 ft/lbs
(im pretty sure the aluminum compressor blades are the weak link and without them i can hit 80 000 rpm safely)

so if anyone knows where i could get a 1" gear and a 10 or 12" gear, or something close..... im looking, too bad i dont know anyone willing to lend me a milling machine for a day
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Not sure I quite understand how this runs? I looked at a few builds of these, and dont quite understand it.

:cool:
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

imagine a turbo diesel engine running at heavy load.... all the turbo sees is fuel getting burnt in between the output of the compressor and input of the turbine
im just replacing the diesel engine with a tin can designed to shield the flame from getting blown out
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Always thought Turbos used the exhaust gas pressure to spin the turbine, which spins the compressor to force air back into the motor?

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

yup thats exactly how they work...
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

2strokeforever wrote:yup thats exactly how they work...
So...you make fire in a combustion chamber, pumping fuel and air in, the pressure created runs through the turbo?

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

turbo compressor pumps air into combustion chamber, then its burnt
the hot air goes thru the turbine, which powers the compressor

the theory is real simple, getting one to run isnt that hard, getting one to run good with low EGT is real tricky
the lower your egt the smaller nozzle (more back pressure) you can run which makes more power

next i will be running a compound setup, and if i can get over 100lbs thrust with afterburning then ill keep it thrust powered, if not i will convert to shaft power
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Definitely has a Cool factor. But is there any real advantage here? seems like it would eat fuel?

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

But is there any real advantage here?
i guess you could say with a few tweaks you can run it on ANYTHING that burns, propane, diesel, strong whiskey, coal dust, and if you did a major overhaul you could run firewood, garbage...
one day i will make one that burns tires, my way of telling greenpeace what i think of them :lol:
seems like it would eat fuel?
ya, a propane tank with no regulators or restrictors cranked WFO will only rev it to max boost if its warm, on the little jet...

that same propane tank on the big jet will get it to 4lbs boost, then everything is hot enough to switch over to my used oil/diesel mix which is pumped by a ford diesel fuel pump (no restrictive nozzles), which barely gets it to full power

interesting fact, on the big jet the exhaust turbine extracts 135 horsepower to power the compressor, and theres still 60hp left at the nozzle
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

2strokeforever wrote:

interesting fact, on the big jet the exhaust turbine extracts 135 horsepower to power the compressor, and theres still 60hp left at the nozzle
next challenge is getting it to the wheels. I imagine a responsive throttle is hard to get as well.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Would make an awesome apocalypse generator though. run it on garbage/wood/etc....

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

B440

Post by B440 »

NightBiker07 wrote:Would make an awesome apocalypse generator though. run it on garbage/wood/etc....
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

next challenge is getting it to the wheels
got the turbine.... but 60 000 rpm transmissions arent easy to come by
im looking for a small set of spur gears aprox a 1 inch round and a 8-12" round both roughly 1/2 wide, will pay a fair price
I imagine a responsive throttle is hard to get as well
not bad, from 5lbs boost i can get to wfo in 3-4 seconds
(at 1/2 a psi it takes 30 seconds), once i get a transmission i will have a "clutch" that dumps all the pressure before the turbine
and ill run it at or near wfo then use the "clutch" instead of the throttle
4stroke=dead fish