WARNING: 500 Conversions.com

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
reef

WARNING: 500 Conversions.com

Post by reef »

Ok, so just over a month ago I ordered an CR500AFC. I saw the bike on Ebay, and convinced the seller to end the auction early.

The seller was easy to work with, and the bike looked like a beaut.

One of the first questions I asked was if the bike had a clean title, and I was told it did.

I arranged shipping and a few weeks later the bike was on it's way.

While the bike was being shipped I decided to play Evil Knieval on my KTM and break my lower back.

Finally I'm up walking around again, so I pulled the bike out of the garage. The last few days I've been taking care of small things on the bike (greasing bearings, putting the front rotor on correct, cleaning the rear wheel that looked like it had sat outside for the last few years, etc...)

Last night I finally worked up the nerve to try to start her. I've owned 2 strokes my whole life, and I know they can be a ***** sometimes.

She won't start. Today I replaced the plug (it was wet), and still nothing. I can smell gas so I'm pretty sure she's flooded. What the heck am I doing wrong. I've done searches on the website for starting techniques and tried every conceivable option. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the plug and verify I'm getting spark.

Ok, so I have a nice paperweight in the garage. I'll get her started soon.

Here's the bit that pisses me off. After I gave the seller the money he sends me a BOS with someone else's name on it. I question him, and he tells me no big deal, and that he never transferred the bike into his name.

Ok, so no biggie right. I'm sure everyone is fine with forging someone else's signature (NOT) on a title? To complicate matters when I receive the title someone had already filled in the new seller information. I question the seller about this, and he tells me he noticed this right before the bike shipped. There is no way to change this information without "whiting out" the information which will void the title. This after I'd have to forge the old owners signature. WTF!

To the sellers credit he has sent a letter to the original owner offering to pay for reprinted title.

The bike was bought with the intent of riding our National Forests here. I must have a title here to get my Green Sticker.

I did everything by the book, and yet I feel like I've had my chain yanked. Clean title BS!

Bob knows this guy, but I've asked that we keep silent for another week to see what happens with the title. After that point I post up the information, and website to warn people. My brother is an attorney, and will take care of things through the legal process if need be. Emails are such powerful tools when they need be.

Thoughts?
Last edited by reef on February 20th, 2012, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: Not going as planned CR500AFC...

Post by AlisoBob »

reef wrote:.

Thoughts?
1. Start the process NOW!!! Dont wait another minute. RIGHT NOW!!!
2. The reason this board exists is to steer members in the right direction. If you had asked about this guy BEFORE you bought the bike in an eBay auction... you wouldny own said paperweight right now.

3. Every 500 starts differently. You need a hard kick, with the correct throttle opening. If its flooded, its the perfect time to start it. Just hold the throttle WFO, and kick away. If its able to start, it will start. Then you can learn how to cold start it.

4. You should have let me go visit the guy before my operation today.... now I'm down for 8 weeks.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

sounds like horseshit!
Do everything you can without having the bike taken away first
reef

Post by reef »

Pulled the plug to verify I was getting spark.

No SPARK!

Bob, you know this guy. Tomorrow I talk to my brother. Looks like I'll start legal proceedings.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Dood's a tool....

Unplug the kill switch and kick it again.
reef

Post by reef »

AlisoBob wrote:Dood's a tool....

Unplug the kill switch and kick it again.
I'll try tomorrow after I get off. It's late here, and over it tonight.

It's been a bad evening. I'm sure I'll be looking for a lot of advice, and using the search button a ton.

Bob thanks for all the help all along Sir. You've been copied on the latest emails to him.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This seems to be the order of failure, from most probable to least....

1. Kill switch (or wiring)

2-3. Stator

3-2. Coil

4. Pulser

5. CDI

With all the 250R ignitions going on, their should be a deal available on some proven 500R stuff.

Cough it up Hoons..... lets help this guy out!
reef

Post by reef »

Just ordered an ignition coil off Ebay. New part for $40 shipped. It should be here Monday.

Tomorrow I'll try the kill switch. I really hope it's nothing serious. I just want to ride.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Part # 30500-KZ3-701 ??
reef

Post by reef »

30500-KZ3-701

Yes Sir. It was ordered from a dealership that has an Ebay Store.

Honda East. There a Wal-mart sized dealership. I've bought a couple of bikes from them, and there a great resource for parts.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Sweet
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Just in case, maybe somebody ought to repost Brits starting technique video. :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

AlisoBob wrote:Image
HA HA HA!
That's the one.
I hope Reef's got a sense of humor :lol:
B440

Post by B440 »

Check the magneto and see if the ignition pulser is gapped correctly.
reef

Post by reef »

Tharrell wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:Image
HA HA HA!
That's the one.
I hope Reef's got a sense of humor :lol:
Eww...

Looks a hella of a potential prank however. :wink:
reef

Post by reef »

B440 wrote:Check the magneto and see if the ignition pulser is gapped correctly.
Thanks!

Tonight I plan on first starting on the wires, and moving out from there.

I'll make sure I check the Gap. Thank you Bro.

The bike ran before it was shipped. I have the video.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

B440 wrote:Check the magneto

This is a magneto. We do not ride lawnmowers
B440

Post by B440 »

Like Bob said, don't check your lawnblower's magneto. Check this (lower right-hand corner):
reef

Post by reef »

I've been working on her all evening.

Nothing... :(

I disconnected the kill switch first. Soldered the connections at the ignition coil, and soldered a host of other connections that didn't look the best.

The stator cover had some nice ghetto work done it. Someone stripped 2 of the screws (nice). I'm checking resistance now, and getting nothing.

Finally I had to step away for a few minutes.
reef

Post by reef »

Looks more and more like the stator. NO resistance.

I took of tomorrow to work on her. Atleast I've got the 300 in the garage until I can get her going.

Sucks, but stuff happens.
reef

Post by reef »

You won't believe this. I'm following the wires down beside the radiator. I notice of the wires is pinched on the radiator housing. The wire (pulser wire) was mangled. Anyways I loosened the radiator and pulled the wire, and cut some new ends.

I GOT SPARK!

It's too late to try to start her here, but tomorrow morning at first light I'll be putting her back together and trying.

I really hope this was the cause!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

reef wrote:Looks more and more like the stator. NO resistance.
I think you mean infinite resistance, like the winding has fractured.

No resistance would be like a 1' section of plain wire.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

reef wrote:You won't believe this. I'm following the wires down beside the radiator. I notice of the wires is pinched on the radiator housing. The wire (pulser wire) was mangled.
AlisoBob wrote:This seems to be the order of failure, from most probable to least....

ALWAYS check the wiring first.....

:wink:

Would have saved you $40 on the coil.
reef

Post by reef »

AlisoBob wrote:
reef wrote:You won't believe this. I'm following the wires down beside the radiator. I notice of the wires is pinched on the radiator housing. The wire (pulser wire) was mangled.
AlisoBob wrote:This seems to be the order of failure, from most probable to least....

ALWAYS check the wiring first.....

:wink:

Would have saved you $40 on the coil.
Spare parts are never a bad thing. I'm an impatient SOB.

Tomorrow I need to tap the two bottom threads on the stator, and look for a oil leak. The bottom is covered. I'm hoping it's nothing. I've had enough surprises.

More importantly I need to get her started.