My First 500!!

Recount your rebuilds here!
Ausm7499

My First 500!!

Post by Ausm7499 »

I picked up what appears to be a really clean 2001. I bought it sight un-seen and still haven't seen it in person but from conversation with the PO and from the pictures I am pretty sure paint and bore are original. It has a pro circuit exhaust, is this a good pipe? It also has a scotts damper and some different bars. Pretty excited to own such a power house.

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Before you do ANYTHING... pull the reed block and pipe and have a look/see on the ol' pisto-roni....

:wink:
Ausm7499

Post by Ausm7499 »

I am going to do a compression test on it and then I am going to pull the piston and cylinder to check everything out before I even start it up. Sounds like I am going to have to pull the carb apart to, the PO says the float is sticking. I am also contemplating sending the head off to get a decomp valve put on it.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

No need to pull the jug.

Do what I suggested, if it looks good, run it.

What your most concerned about is finding cracks on the intake side of the piston, or excessive blow by on the the exhaust side.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

The intake skirt is notorious for cracking. Compression test won't reveal an imminent problem like that.
You'll be glad you checked if it's cracked.
Ausm7499

Post by Ausm7499 »

If I knew more history on the bike I would probably be comfortable just pulling the reeds and checking the piston but the PO couldn't tell me much about it except that it runs. Judging form what I know and can see in the pictures I am expecting to find a stock piston and bore but I want to check everything out so I know for sure.

Did a little research and it sounds like the majority of people prefer the PC pipe to the FMF so I am happy to hear that. Since I am going to pull the cylinder is there anything else I should do while it's torn down? I won't actually be able to pick the bike up until the second week in April (I had the PO drop the bike off at my Wife's siblings house) when I make the trip to get it.

Also since the carb is having issues is their a rebuild kit I should buy for it? I was also contemplating selling the stock carb and getting an Airstriker is this a good upgrade?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The float needle gets a little burr worn it in from the vibes of the 500. Its all you need for the carb. You dont need a "rebuild kit".

The 39.5mm PWK is a excelent upgade. More for ridability than outright performance.

Get one.
Ausm7499

Post by Ausm7499 »

I will add it to my list. This is going to be my dedicated snobike so I will have all spring, summer and fall to get it ready for the snow. What's the verdict on the reeds do the stock ones work well?

Snobiking

asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

:yikes: :cold: :headbang:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Other than what Bob recommended, most carbs just need a good soak from time to time.
Oh, and proper jets for temp and altitude.
AURORA

Post by AURORA »

[quote="AlisoBob"]No need to pull the jug.

Do what I suggested, if it looks good, run it.

What your most concerned about is finding cracks on the intake side of the piston, or excessive blow by on the the exhaust side.[/quote]

Can you post a picture of excessive blow by and a second picture of acceptable exhust side ot the pistion?
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

snowbikes..... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !