How do you clean swingarm and shock linkage bearings?

Recount your rebuilds here!
AURORA

How do you clean swingarm and shock linkage bearings?

Post by AURORA »

How do you guy cleaning or remove old grease from your swingarm and shock linkage bearing?

Do you just pack new grease on the old grease?

Do you clean the bearing first with brake parts cleaner the repack the bearings?

Yes the bearing are still in the swingarm an shock linkage.

Thx,

A
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I clean the swingarm with soap or degreaser and usually just wipe out the bearings and put in fresh grease. All the bearings I've had are nice and clean and rust free though.
If your bearings are rusty or really dirty and/ or full of sand you will have to clean more thoroughly or replace them. You can wipe out the grease and then use degreaser like simple green or purple power, or brake cleaner to clean them. Or solvent if you have that. WD40 is a really good cleaner also. Careful not to use any cleaner that will harm the seals, brake cleaner may a little bit to try not to get it on them.
mr500

Post by mr500 »

When i did mine,the rollers were quite rusted.
I picked them all out ( one bearing at a time) into a small container filled it with rostoff/wd40,soaked, scrubbed and rubbed them together for a while.
Polished/sanded the sleeve.
Brake cleaned the bearing cage until clean and then repacked with a heavy sticky grease.
Nice job too.
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
AURORA

Post by AURORA »

Thx
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I remove the seals and brake-clean the caged bearings until clean and re-pack. The non-caged bearings, I pull apart about once a year, clean all the pins and everything related and re-assemble/repack. I figure the 2 hours per bike it takes a year is worth the effort. Been contemplating drilling/tapping everything for grease fittings.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.