Another 85 just for fun

Recount your rebuilds here!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Another 85 just for fun

Post by jbsleddin »

I've already showed this beauty off in the Classifieds section as I'm looking for parts, but I suppose I should also post it up here. I found this roach locally and couldn't pass it up, even though what I was really after was an 84, what the hell, 2 85's can't hurt! :wink: Not going to be a breaking the bank resto or anything extravagant, maybe just a bike that I'm not afraid of beating the shit out of and getting dirty. Thanks to Roosty, Rue and gixxerbob for helping fund the build! I'm now accepting cash donations from anyone that thinks this is a cause worth supporting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Well, it's been a long while, but I've managed to get a few things accomplished with this baby. Several other projects have gotten in the way, otherwise it would've been done by now, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Rue hooked me up with some much needed parts off his 88, FMF pipe, triple clamps, shock, linkage, subframe, fenders, and misc. frame grommets. :D As you can see in the before photos, the subframe was tweaked beyond repair. Well actually, someone repaired it, but forgot to straighten it first. :lol: I ended up having to cut the right side downtube off the 85 subframe and put it on the 88 subframe. I didn't do my research before hand, but in the end, it looks respectable. I have the subframe cleaned up and in primer, now working on the frame prep. I was in the process of removing several broken bolts from the frame and found a broken tap as well! :evil: WTF??? A real bastard to remove, I have tried needlenose and vise grips with no luck, it's broken off flush. Other than trying to shatter it, anyone know of another way to remove it? :? I was hoping to have the frame primered today too, but this is holding me back. I have the engine on the bench, torn down and cleaned up. Cylinder and piston are standard bore and in awesome shape. :D I ordered new rings just for the hell of it. Bottom end is in great shape too, I really expected it to be neglected judging by the home it came from, but I really don't think the guy ever rode it (since he couldn't start it.) Performed the water pump "refurbishment" with the good ol' JB Weld, and the water pump is getting new seals and bearing while I'm at it. The water inlet was JB Welded to the cylinder and shattered when I removed it. It's the newer style with inlet on the right front, not on the back of the jug. Ordered one of them too, working on cleaning up the mess and will probably have to drill and install heli-coils since the threads are filled with JB too. This one is starting to be more than a "budget restoration", but when the hell can you ever stick to the budget? Hopefully one of my "other" projects sell soon so I carry on with this one. :roll: (YES, I KNOW) :worthless:
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

If you can try welding some rod or build the weld up onto the broken tap to give you something to work with and soak with bolt release for a couple of days. Heat and freeze cycles with a good sharp blow to the end of the tap to break the bond is also helpful.......prick of a job either way
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Picked up a clean 85 roller yesterday and now have a good starting point to build this baby. I put too many hours into the frame it came with, already rechased all the threads, installed heli-coils where needed, straightened, welded, sandblasted, sanded and primered, ready for paint. And then this roller pops up in the classifieds (well, 4 hours away, but still somewhat local :lol: ). Had to get it, piss on the old frame now, it's a spare. This one's powdercoated, although it's definitely what I'd call orange, nowhere near flash red. :? I'll post up some pics once something new and exciting starts happening in the ol' man cave. :wink:
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

I haven't been keeping the camera nearby lately, but do have a few pics of the water pump before and after and how the bike sits currently. I am planning to fire it up this weekend, if all goes well. As of right now, just killing time on the computer, with a hangover and lack of ambition. :lol: It's GOING to run this weekend, come hell or high water.....
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Looking really nice :cool:
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Rhino89523 wrote:Looking really nice :cool:
Thanks buddy, I'm trying. :? Just came in for a break with good and bad news to report of. The good news: I fired her up, started with only 5 kicks. The not so good news: F'n head gasket is bleeding like a sieve. :evil: Passed a leakdown test after gooping the reed valve gaskets which were leaking on first attempt. Didn't give it a second thought, and don't like to put sealant on head gaskets unless absolutely necessary. I guess I wasted my time cleaning and sealing the pipe flange yesterday, going to have to start over again. :cry: No point whining about it....... :roll:
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Head gasket isn't my only problem. Now have no spark. I am pointing in the direction of the CDI, but not quite sure, maybe someone else here can jump in and point me in the right direction. I've checked all the obvious items, kill switch, bad ground, etc. The two leads that come out of the CDI and go to the kill switch (green and black/white) have continuity between them and are both grounded. Does that sound right to anyone here? I'm thinking the green should be grounded but not the B/W wire? Help please. :?
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Been tinkering all afternoon, tested everything and found my culprit. The stator failed the resisitance test so I immediately thought the worst and pulled the flywheel to take it off. Once the flywheel was off, it magically passed test within the specified ohm range. :? Upon closer inspection, I found that someone (that was clueless) had their hands where they shouldn't have. They obviously didn't grow up by the rules of my Italian grandmother who always enforced when I was younger: "No touch what no belong to you!!!" :lol: Anyway, the wires coming from the stator were contacting the flywheel and rubbed through causing a short.
I took it apart, coated the bare wires with liquid electrical tape, routed them where they're supposed to be, away from harm, and now have my spark back! :D Removed the head, cleaned and gooped the gasket and reinstalled. :oops: :oops: Almost put the old one back in, it's the layered steel type which I prefer over the crappy coated fiber or whatever it is. Athena kit was what I ordered, won't use them again, had the same isue with their head gasket on a YZ 80 not too long ago. :evil: The beast will live another day. :wink:
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

It's been one hell of an action packed day, my most ambitious day in quite some time! I present to you, the his and hers matching bikes (that's what I told my wife! :lol: ). Far from perfect, not quite finished, but complete for now. Have new side panels and seat cover to go on, might be a job for tomorrow. Right now, just going to kick back with a cold one and admire the twins. :D

Rue

Post by Rue »

Those a bitchn twins!!! Very :cool: amigo!!!!
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

Nice work brings back memories
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Rue wrote:Those a bitchn twins!!! Very :cool: amigo!!!!
You're my main sponsor, should put "RUE" on the # plates. :wink: Sadly, I will have to sell it if I ever plan to build another. Can't afford keeping 2 85's, although they do look good together. I'm already having separation anxiety. :cry: But I'm already on the prowl for the next victim of neglect. :)
beekums

Post by beekums »

gregrobo wrote:Nice work brings back memories
85 CR500 put a little excitement between your legs
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hoon-ariffic!!!!!