TRADING QUESTION??

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
UknowDamright

TRADING QUESTION??

Post by UknowDamright »

Any opinions on me trading my 2009 YZ450F for

1- 2003 CR250 and 1- 2001 CR125

The 250 was just rebuilt, not even broke it yet
The 125 only needs a top end rebuild, but to me the bikes look to be in decent shape.

The guy wants to trade straight up, and I want to build another 500AF, so if anyone thinks I should go for it let me know, I just want a second opinion.

The first 2 pics are the 02 CR250 being rebuilt and the other 2 are the 01 CR125

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... 514158.jpg

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... e31dd5.jpg

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... 071f31.jpg

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... 494760.jpg

And here is the 09 YZ450F
http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... CF3127.jpg

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... CF3121.jpg
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

If I were you, I would think long and hard about it and weigh out all the pros and cons. Everybody here can tell you what you want to hear but in the end it's your own ass you'll be kicking if you think you fucked up! It took me several months and several "laundering trades" before I finally got over trading my sled. The fact that we haven't had shit for snow this year is helping quite a bit too. :lol: I'm just saying, don't listen to what anyone else has to say, after all, it's your bike and once it's done your probably shit out of luck getting it back. But really, how does that saying go, 2 two-strokes in the hand is better than one thumper in the bush, or something like that :roll: :lol: I'm not saying you should do it (but I would :wink: )
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
CR525Bruce

Post by CR525Bruce »

If you like the way your Yamaha handles put a 500 engine in it.(Just a thought).
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Not sure what an 02 250 is worth in your area, but around here a Mint one can be had for $2500-2800 ( seriously, I actually have a mint 02 cr250 for sale right now lol)

If you are going to be pulling the motor, then you don't need a Mint one, you can usually get a blown up, or neglected bike for let's say $1000.

What's your 450 worth in your area??

It's a curious trade, 2 for 1, but you may be better to sell your bike and buy a 250 roller, and if you want a 125 you can usually find one easy too...

Honestly I'm not a fan of trades for the most part... I'm more of a buy and plan to sell but end up keeping everything kind of guy..Lol
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

every used bike you buy will be "freshly rebuilt"
also the owner of the 250 looks like he coulda been too busy polishing to seal up the leaky honda airboot :lol: , im serious check if the airboot has been sealed, if not the bottom end IS FULL OF DIRT, been there done that

personaly with all the metal mulisha, monster stickers, polishing, and anodising i wouldnt even waste my time looking
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

the 125 is worth about a grand, the 250 i'd say 3 tops. Unless you were there when it was rebuilt, Dont listen to a word of that. everything is always just "freshly rebuilt"....my 500 was freshly rebuilt....and the asshole that bored it has no idea what a torque plate is, I've got the stud streaks in the cylinder.

Point is, what you'd be getting would be worth around 4 grand. what is the 450 worth? I'm betting you could sell the motor out of that 450, and use the money to buy the stuff you'd need for the 500 conversion. but, you'd only have one bike....hmm....
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

Basically I want opinions on what bike would be better for what I ride.....I don't race, I just have fun.... The only places I ride are mostly trails and some sand dunes.

If I do the trade I'll sell the cr125 with a new piston kit and gaskets (comes with trade)...and sell the cr250 engine and electrics for anywhere from $600-$1000, maybe more depending on buyer.

I can have a cr250 converted for around $600-$800
I just wanna make sure it will be the best bang for my buck

Thanks to everyone who can help and give opinions!!!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

Do the 450 mate looks like they would work well
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

those bikes are on my local craigslist if u are interested i know a guy that would give u 600 or so for the 250 motor and let u keep most the covers and stuff he just uses the crank cylinder and cases lmk i could get a hold of him before u trade if u do u must be in mi?
no wing no prayer
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

CR525Bruce wrote:If you like the way your Yamaha handles put a 500 engine in it.(Just a thought).
Thats an even better idea, as others have mentioned, ALL bikes you buy have "freshly rebuilt engines", doesn't really mean dick! You could sell your engine for a small fortune and go from there, rather than chance taking on someone elses problems. That is always the downfall when trading, you're basically taking their word (which in most cases you can wipe your ass with!!!)
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

jarnott71 wrote:those bikes are on my local craigslist if u are interested i know a guy that would give u 600 or so for the 250 motor and let u keep most the covers and stuff he just uses the crank cylinder and cases lmk i could get a hold of him before u trade if u do u must be in mi?
I live in Hersey, Michigan
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

UknowDamright wrote:
jarnott71 wrote:those bikes are on my local craigslist if u are interested i know a guy that would give u 600 or so for the 250 motor and let u keep most the covers and stuff he just uses the crank cylinder and cases lmk i could get a hold of him before u trade if u do u must be in mi?
damm im over their all the time i ride evert ,little manistee ,lincon hills,tin cup all the singels every weekend i can i should have went today this whether is crazy i did little manistee the day after x-mas do u ride the singel track or orv if u like the single tracks we should ride sometime
no wing no prayer
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

jarnott71 wrote:
UknowDamright wrote:
damm im over their all the time i ride evert ,little manistee ,lincon hills,tin cup all the singels every weekend i can i should have went today this whether is crazy i did little manistee the day after x-mas do u ride the singel track or orv if u like the single tracks we should ride sometime
hell yeah, I need some more people to ride with, I'm still debating on doing this trade though
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Not to push you one way or the other, but what condition is your 450 in? if it has been riden hard for 2-3 years without a rebuild it could be a ticking bomb that you would be better off without but then I'm not a fan of the 4poke, too many parts flying around in there!
UknowDamright

Post by UknowDamright »

Thanks to everyone's input, I think I will keep the 450 chassis and try the conversion with it.

Anyone want to buy a YZ450F engine???
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Kuma wrote:Not to push you one way or the other, but what condition is your 450 in? if it has been riden hard for 2-3 years without a rebuild it could be a ticking bomb that you would be better off without but then I'm not a fan of the 4poke, too many parts flying around in there!
Ha ha ha, sounds like a man with the same outlook on life as I!!!