My 84 overhaul

Recount your rebuilds here!
Rot Box

My 84 overhaul

Post by Rot Box »

Haven't posted much here, but I thought I'd share my 84 rebuild.

This is what she looked like when I brought here inside last winter.
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

Some history, I have owned and still own a fair share of bikes, but this one is going to the grave with me. I don't know why I love it so much I actually hated this bike (anyone that has ridden a stock 84 will agree they aren't much to brag about) when I first got it over 10 years ago when I was 16. Truth be told this one scares me and its not because of the power LOL.

Anyway there are a few things I hated about the 84's

-Power/carb. The blubbering PE with the stock needle is worthless and ruins what would otherwise be a decent motor.
-Horrid pinging. Mostly due to the needle I'm guessing.
-Suspesnion. Ha---ha--what suspension?

So I decided to see if I could fix all that :cool: Starting with the frame I went with a fresh coat of Lava Black.

Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

^Next up the rear shock (which was beyond hope I thought) went to Pro Action in PA for a complete overhaul. What I ended up with was a huge improvement over the stock piece (of crap). PA's 3 stage valving/re-valve and a spring matched for my weight made a dramatic improvement. All new linkage bearings put icing on the cake.

After that it was time to dig into the motor. I've pulled 2 pistons out of this bike (stock and Pro-X) over the years both of which showed great compression, but were literally about to explode due to cracks :shock:

This is when I decided to go a different route. I ended up having Eric Gorr do some work on the porting and head. Overall the quality looks very good afterwards I sent the head out (thanks again Old-timer) for the decompression valve which seems to have gained huge popularity recently...

Now displacing 520CC's (91mm) with a Seizeco....I mean Wiseco piston. Being forged I hope it will hold up a little better than the last two cast pistons--We'll see I guess.

Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

I ride single track 95% of the time so I like having my bars up high. Unfortunately I found it not that easy to raise the bars with the stock clamp without having them sit in my lap so I went with a billet upper clamp with 3" risers which made enough room for my Scotts :cool:

Last edited by Rot Box on December 20th, 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

Sorry I'm not much of a story teller or entertainer you guys lol. If you get bored let me know :lol:

The stock shock was bad, but I think the forks were as bad or worse. I fooled with oil level, different viscosity's etc and never found anything remotely close to what I wanted. After some searching I decided to install the famous 87 forks to see what all the hype was about. Turns out they bolted right up and accepted my brake. As it turns out the 87's use a different axle so I ended up sleeving my 84 axle to make it all work. I may hold out for an 87 wheel/axle as the 87 is a bit bigger in diameter...

On to the carb. I was planning on getting an air striker, but this 39.5mm PWK popped up locally for $25 so I had to jump on it. Should be a big improvement over the stock PE.

Last edited by Rot Box on December 20th, 2011, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

She's really coming together now :cool: Unfortunately I have 2 really clean OEM tanks, both pretty much worthless because they leak through the o-rings, and the brass just spins in the plastic on the petcock :( For now I have the 4 gallon Clarke. Its a nice tank and I like the range at times, but hill climbing is a pain due to its size.

Some Cycra hand guards keep the skin on my knuckles and save the levers:
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

Ready to rock! (pic with stock carb and a flat :0)

Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

Spring 2011 finally rolled in and I was able to break and jet her in. Then it was time to roll into the throttle and see what she had for power.... :P

Stay tuned:
94 ATK 605DSES (XR killer!)
84 CR500R (EG 520cc, PA suspension with 87 cartridge forks, scotts damper, and FINS!)
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Awesome bike and pics, keep it up!

Have you tried injecting epoxy or glue into the plastic around the brass inserts in the tanks? Or spin em til you can pull them out, clean up and put back in. Or last one is heat them using a soldering iron until it liquifys the plastic around allowing them to grab hold again...
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

Gmbond wrote:Awesome bike and pics, keep it up!

Have you tried injecting epoxy or glue into the plastic around the brass inserts in the tanks? Or spin em til you can pull them out, clean up and put back in. Or last one is heat them using a soldering iron until it liquifys the plastic around allowing them to grab hold again...
Thanks I'm really happy with the way its turning out :) And thanks for the ideas, I'm going to give it a shot and see what I can come up with. Hopefully I can figure something out I'd hate to see them go to waste.
84 CR500R (EG 520cc, PA suspension with 87 cartridge forks, scotts damper, and FINS!)
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Gmbond wrote:Awesome bike and pics, keep it up!

Yes, I was going to say epoxy or melt them in, but you beat me to it. And the bike is fucking sweet, but you probably already know that too! Would love to get my hands on an old finner to keep the 85 company, just need to have patience. Awesome job, when you're ready to sell her, let me know. :wink: :lol:
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

I've been doing a lot of dual sport riding lately so I haven't had the chance to ride the 84 more than just around the block here and there since I rebuilt it :shock:

Last weekend I went to the WY badlands for some hill climb and wide open desert terrain action. There were 5 of us 84-90-91-94 CR500's and my dads mint 99 KX500--yahoo!

For the record nearly every single modification I did to this bike has been more than worth the effort. The Pro Action suspension (using 87 cartridge forks) stood out the most. I was able to hammer whoops and trail junk without thinking twice. It honestly rides like a modern bike now whereas the stock suspension was nothing short of scary. The forks and shock took everything I could throw at them and did it all without so much as a hiccup. I can't recommend this enough to you air cooled guys! :cool:

As for the engine I worked it pretty hard and it did not ping once the entire weekend and that alone made it all worth it. The PWK is magic from top to bottom and I really feel that lower compression head from Eric Gorr is the cats ass. The bike has always been very powerful but it is so much more controllable now--and the topend pulls harder than it ever has.

I did have a problem with bolts coming loose... Almost all the chassis bolts wiggled their way out at some point LOL. A little blue loctite took care of that. Also the 3" riser clamps put the handlebars in a great spot however (and I didn't think of this before) they are not rubber mounted--and that really sucked after riding all day :?

Maybe I'm used to my big Rotax but I noticed the 84 is VERY stall prone even compared to the newer 500's in our group. I think a Steahly flywheel weight would help a ton...

Good times :D
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

[quote="Rot Box"]I've been doing a lot of dual sport riding lately so I haven't had the chance to ride the 84 more than just around the block here and there since I rebuilt it :shock:

Last weekend I went to the WY badlands for some hill climb and wide open desert terrain action. There were 5 of us 84-90-91-94 CR500's and my dads mint 99 KX500--yahoo!

For the record nearly every single modification I did to this bike has been more than worth the effort. The Pro Action suspension (using 87 cartridge forks) stood out the most. I was able to hammer whoops and trail junk without thinking twice. It honestly rides like a modern bike now whereas the stock suspension was nothing short of scary. The forks and shock took everything I could throw at them and did it all without so much as a hiccup. I can't recommend this enough to you air cooled guys! :cool:

As for the engine I worked it pretty hard and it did not ping once the entire weekend and that alone made it all worth it. The PWK is magic from top to bottom and I really feel that lower compression head from Eric Gorr is the cats ass. The bike has always been very powerful but it is so much more controllable now--and the topend pulls harder than it ever has.

I did have a problem with bolts coming loose... Almost all the chassis bolts wiggled their way out at some point LOL. A little blue loctite took care of that. Also the 3" riser clamps put the handlebars in a great spot however (and I didn't think of this before) they are not rubber mounted--and that really sucked after riding all day :?

Maybe I'm used to my big Rotax but I noticed the 84 is VERY stall prone even compared to the newer 500's in our group. I think a Steahly flywheel weight would help a ton...

Good times :D[/quote

Stalling?
Heck, I stall my '82 and the '92 and it already has a flywheel weight on it.
Just gotta keep a finger on the clutch I guess.
If you ride anything smaller it will mess you up when you get on a big bore, at least it does me.
BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

Awesome to hear you finally got your bike out riding, well almost a year ago. It looks great and sounds like it runs good too. Did you have it out much this year?

I put the 39.5 PWK on mine too and wow what a difference. I think we are destined to be tightening bolts and things as long as we own these old monsters. My 84 started running funny last time I rode it and turns out it was the dang threaded spark plug tip that screwed off. The plug wire was just bouncing around on the tip of the plug. Thankfully an easy fix but I didn't find it until after I got it home and messed with it a few weeks later.