What to do....what to do...

Recount your rebuilds here!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Doppler wrote: I've checked out the AF section but there isn't a "easiest" thread that I remember so if anyone knows off hand that'd be great.

There are times where I think this friggin' thing must be broke.....

:roll:
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

If someone can convince me that I can fit a newer front end and shock onto my 89 I would just do that. Shock might work with the appropriate linkage? Or with complete swingarm as well? I haven't been able to find a CLEAR answer while SEARCHING.
After searching I have only found a couple people saying that the steering stem/ bearing differences will not allow me to put on a newer front fork/ triple. But again no CLEAR answer while SEARCHING. Though they said it wont work, nobody actually tried it or tried machining the steering stem or anything really.
I can't be the only one with an 89 that want's better handling can I?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

You would still be money ahead to buy the roller if you are just going to swap a few parts. I'm not sure about the '89 but I am currently on a 1990 frame and all the 97 up suspension bolted right to it. You cant tell the difference between the 1990 frame and the 2000 frame I had it all bolted to before. The front end you need complete down to the wheel, the rear not sure but there were some linkage swingarm differences that dont allow parts swapping. I couldn't really tell major handling differences between an AF bike and my steel framed bike but I am a fat sit down rider that flicks with gas and I like chopper front ends. I could tell the difference between 1992 forks and the 1997 up stuff....waaay plusher.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

The "easiest" honda AF conversion is a 97-99 CR 250.
Now get to work.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I actually think a gen-3 250 is the easiest... if you search you'll find out why ;)
plus it makes a damn nice conversion.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Yeah Gen 3 is the way I'd go for sure. Sorry I should have mentioned that there's no way in hell I'd do a 97-99 250. I've ridden a 97 and it was horrible. Small, cramped and vibrated like crazy.

Maybe someday I'll do an AF conversion, but for now I'm going to pick up that 99 roller I found next weekend. Hope to get it for $300 but we'll see.
Might not be the best way to upgrade but oh well I'm not going for the absolute best right now. Nonetheless it's an upgrade.
Sidetrack

Post by Sidetrack »

Another option...I'm here in Ventura also and have a Gen I (97 CR250) I've been thinking about getting rid of. Had the bike for the last 10 years, and its well taken care of. Not the most popular bike, but may be the easiest conversion. You're welcome to come by and check it out. I'm on the east end. Also have a 96 steely w/ fresh barely run 85/86 motor in it. Could make a package deal on the two and you could keep your 89 and add the newer suspension to it.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

That sounds pricey.....What are you wanting for them?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Doppler wrote:Yeah Gen 3 is the way I'd go for sure. Sorry I should have mentioned that there's no way in hell I'd do a 97-99 250. I've ridden a 97 and it was horrible. Small, cramped and vibrated like crazy.
Huh so now you want to maybe buy a 97 cr250 that above you stated you would never ride im sorry but this thread is a roller coaster. I say you really read peoples responses because the info you want is in there. Since you cant or wont find the info on both sites i say get the roller since you probably could get it for the $300 you were talking about and start seeing if parts will fit. The parts you dont need just ebay. Take the leap my friend but if i was you i would try to update that 89 cause it looks badass. The updated 89 will run just as well or better then the 97 cr250
Kevin
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Doppler wrote: I haven't been able to find a CLEAR answer while SEARCHING.
A 0.0002 second search of "easiest AND AF" returned lots of threads... like thisd one.

http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... st&start=0

Perhaps you should ask Santa for a copy of this for Christmas....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Never said I was going to buy the 97....just simply asked what he was wanting for the bikes.
I've already searched bob......I didn't initially search too much because I WASN'T LOOKING TO DO AN AF BUILD! So I simply asked a question!

And the only reason the thread is a roller coaster is because people keep telling me what I need and not answering my original question. Some people actually did answer the original question and I appreciate that.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Doppler wrote:And the only reason the thread is a roller coaster is because people keep telling me what I need and not answering my original question. Some people actually did answer the original question and I appreciate that.
I like Roller Caosters :lol: http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... highlight=
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

of coarse everyone keeps changing the topic because really swapping an '89 for a '99 steelie isn't much of an improvement. I bet that '89 could do just as well as the '99 with some fresh fork oil, proper setup and valving. I can tell you riding a steelie and say a gen-3 AF side by side is no comparison. If I had an '89, I wouldn't waste the money to transplant the motor to a '99 steelie frame.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I had an '89 that I was quite happy with, that is until a freind let me try out his gen 2, even that was night and day and the next year I bought it from him.

If you don't have the money to do a conversion now, then just tune up your suspension like Danny said, start a savings account for the conversion, watch ebay for good deals on doner bikes, when one comes along that has some sellable crap (4 stroke) on it, ebay that and you will be started in no time.
Sidetrack

Post by Sidetrack »

Doppler wrote:That sounds pricey.....What are you wanting for them?
Haven't really thought about it to be honest. Both have been sitting for a while since I Picked up a KTM. Would like to get at least $1200 for the 250. Runs hard (Eric Gorr 265 kit) and has a bunch of extras since I had it so long. Would probably part out the 500 to make my money back on that one. I've pieced it together over the years.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Steely's rock, ridden them side by side and can't tell the difference other than looking and my comfortable seat vs. the brick the AF's make you sit on. early USD are harsh, later stuff feels great in my opinion. I don't think buying the roller is a waste at all. I keep buying and beating them, I rode the AF's thinking it would make me need one and it would be the new thing I'm doing, didn't happen. Made me appreciate what I am on. I keep riding other stuff and I keep coming back to my steel beauty.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I bought my gen-3 donor complete with a blown up topend for $700 and after selling the extras I made my money back and then some. The conversion cost around $150 when including all the chassis bearing I replaced, etc.
Comparing that to buying a late steelie and having an '89 roller left over just seems like a waste of time.

BTW, my gen-3 motor came out of an '89 I bought off a kid for $400 and did a complete rebuild on and I added a david bailey kit and the bike ended up selling for $4500 :cool: After selling the extras I'd be surprised if I had spent $1000.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im lost for words at this point. never seen anything quit like this thead
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I have already worked with my forks as much as i could at this point. I found some stiffer springs by searching the eibach site that i made work. They are all out of the ones made for the forks so i used ones from a xr650r that were the same diameter but a few mm shorter. I used a thick washer to take up the extra space, ended up the exact same length. I cleaned and put in new oil and seals but didnt mess with the valving because i couldnt find any info searching online about the valve in these particular forks. The peening is different on every style and sometimes you have to be careful as there is pieces inside the shaft that you dont want to come out. So anyway i couldnt tell and didnt want to ruin it so i left the valving alone for now. The springs helped with the saggy front end but forks are still not what i like.
I havent serviced the shock yet but messing with clickers surely isnt enough to help it much.

I revalved my 46mm kyb forks on my yamaha and revalved/ resprung my shock and couldnt feel any more comfortable. So i know that the 99 has the same potential. The 89 does not
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I'm with Rhino steelies do rock!
Some hate them some love them, thats just how it is.
So for now im going to go with what i had planned since i saw the ad for the 99. I will see how it turns out and let you all know.
For those that are gung ho on anything AF, thank you for the ideas. I may end up doing that someday i dont know what the future holds. But for now im doing what i think i will like the most and be happy with.
Of course this all hinges on how the 99 really turns out to be as i havent seen it in person yet.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:im lost for words at this point. never seen anything quite like this thead
I'll add to the drift....

scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Here's my $.02 worth. Go fishing for a blown up four stroke. Rumour has it there are some out there. Go buy the cheapest one you can find and put the entire front end onto your 89. Take the rest and toss it into the garbage heap. You could probably find a newer F-Bomb for a little more than that 99 roller and have twin chamber Showas on your 89. I threw my 04 450 forks onto my 99 and loved it. I have my 99 triple clamps laying in my shop, steering stem and all, they'll never see the light of day again. The Showas slide right into them. Do your homework, it could be done. That IS a nice looking 89.
Don't waste your time on that Yamaha. I'm sure it's a great bike, but not the best project idea.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Well you see the thing is those twin chambers will not fit on my 89. Different size fork tubes and also a different bearing combo on the steering stem. I have yet to see anyone put that triple clamp setup on an 89, searched quite a bit and found nothing. I'm sure it can be done.....just haven't seen it.
I KNOW the newer forks will fit the 99, so that is another option I will have in the future if needed. The rear shock on the 99 is also an upgrade and I would assume probably the same size as newer shocks as well.
Cheapest blown 4 stroke I've seen in my area is $800 and a 3 hr drive away.......no thanks
Kartwheel68

Post by Kartwheel68 »

The forks and shock on the '99 are a significant upgrade. I like the steel frame bikes too, and like you said, the '99 will give you a path to upgrade to Showa TCs at a later date. For the $400 price I really dont see how you can go wrong with the '99 roller.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Doppler wrote:.
Cheapest blown 4 stroke I've seen in my area is $800 and a 3 hr drive away.......no thanks
you should spend some time looking through this site and learn a few things :roll: . dont know what bike your talking about but it very easily could be free after you sell the unwanted shit that aint damaged, of course it might cost a whopping $150 in gas to pick it up. http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... hp?t=11366 but your stuck on that '99 that a few folks said is vastly superior to your '89 :roll: . im done trying to help you see the light. good luck with your significant upgrade steely :lmao: . theres a reason the AF section has 20,000 posts and 2,500 in the steel section.