What to do....what to do...

Recount your rebuilds here!
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I never asked for your help so go roll your eyes at someone else.
What don't you get about I don't like the ergos of the AF honda bikes? I don't care that they are "vastly superior" or that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Not everyone is comfortable on the same bike.

I get all your guys' points about the AF and selling parts and such. That all sounds good and would work for sure. It's just not what I'm looking to do at this point. Why is that so wrong?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

You will have to excuse 100hp. (We all do) He rolls his own way and that's all there is to it. Lol. Perhaps you missed the context of my message, I have those clamps in my garage. They are basically free, if you pay shipping. Come with the bearings, although they may be no good to you. Anyone you know nearby with a newer model you could measure the stem and see what bearings would make it work? If it's just a matter of a bearing swap, you're stylin'. Be cool to see that 89 spit and polished up, with some decent suspension on it.
I threw an Ohlins shock on my 04AF and it blew me away how good it was, and it's not even valved for my 260 lb. fat ass. I'm going looking for one for my 93 CR250, which currently has my 99 500 shock on it. There's always options.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Yeah I agree man I love the look of the 89 also. If I get the roller I plan to make it look like my bike now by using the wheels and plastics and such as much as I can. So it will basically look like an 89 but have the better suspension on it.
From everything I've read I would have to switch out the whole swingarm or possibly just the linkage in order to put a newer shock on it because the clevis' are different widths. Newer is more narrow. And on the steering stem bearings, I'm sure I could make it work with some machining.....but I'm just thinking why go through the trouble if I can get the roller for cheap and get everything for the same price if not cheaper than newer forks and rear shock parts.
I have til saturday to think about it all for the roller part of it. I'm still leaning towards that.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Doppler here hears what he wants to. I see a steelie upgrade as a huge waste of time and money, but obviously Doppler did not come here to really hear what the people who have ridden and built all of these bikes have to say and instead wants validation that swapping from an '89 steelie to a '99 steelie is going to be worth while where at $800 busted thumper easily has $800 worth of ebay sales on it is way too much :roll: . I guess this guy isn't interested in challenging himself to build a worth while bike... Thats just my .02
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I don't need or want any validation and I'm not scard to tackle an AF build at all I just don't want to. I should have never started this thread in the first place, but I didn't know that all I would get was people knocking on what I WANT TO DO.
I'm glad you guys all like AF bikes, that's awesome. If I wanted to do an AF conversion I would have posted a thread in the AF section don't you think? I'm listening and hearing everything you guys are saying, and it does all make sense. But it's not my only option and not what I want at this point.
You can't tell me that the 96-01 suspension isn't an upgrade over the 89. Or that you can't do more things to it than the 89. It's a better design. I'm sure the AF stuff can be even better. But I don't need the best for the riding I do. I don't ride track. My revalved yamaha performs much better than the hondas I have ridden with TC forks and such including an 06 CRF450.
If you guys think I'm so dumb and wasting my time then just stop posting on the thread. Or go ahead and delete the thread for all I care.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: What to do....what to do...

Post by AlisoBob »

Doppler wrote:.Hey just looking for some opinions on how to make a better handling bike. Not that my 89 is horrible but doesn't compare to newer bikes that's for sure. ....

I just found a complete 99 CR5 roller that has some suspension work and looks to be in good condition for $400 OBO.
I would mount the 89 engine in the 99 chassis, and throw the 89 roller in the dumpster.

Was that so hard to figure out?
britincali

Post by britincali »

Thats what I did with iggros 2000 roller, pulled the 87 motor sold what I could then chucked the rest.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

dannygraves wrote:Doppler here hears what he wants to. I see a steelie upgrade as a huge waste of time and money, but obviously Doppler did not come here to really hear what the people who have ridden and built all of these bikes have to say and instead wants validation that swapping from an '89 steelie to a '99 steelie is going to be worth while where at $800 busted thumper easily has $800 worth of ebay sales on it is way too much :roll: . I guess this guy isn't interested in challenging himself to build a worth while bike... Thats just my .02
Disagree, I would trade my bike for an AF only because I could sell it for more cash. If I can only have one and have to keep it.....I'm rolling steel. I pound steel frame rails flat about every 2 years with a skid plate. In AF land thats a full cradle replacement. I just grab my next frame off the shelf and 4 hours later I'm rolling again. Frames are usually free. swingarms with bearings are usually free. Steel frame fits me better. Rode 2 full desert tanks yesterday, solo. Bunch of Arizona A ride style rocks, a complete pounding with about 10 miles of whoops each way to connect to a gas station. No bike I would have rather been riding than my steel soft seated CR500.

I have never been passed by a better bike, only better riders.

Bob gets voted best thread drift :D
Last edited by Rhino89523 on December 19th, 2011, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

There ya go Bob, that was easy. Problem solved haha

Another thing I've been thinking of is the stupid laws here in Ca. Green sticker and red sticker. All motocross bikes 03+ are red, most offroad bikes are green. all 02 and older are green. If I had red sticker I couldn't even ride the bike year round. Well that would suck! Sure I have a couple green sticker rides already, but it would be nice to ride the CR5 all year also if I wanted to.
So for Honda AFs that narrows the selection way down to 97-02 and the only CRFXs. I still have some options with those but not as many.
That's not the only reason for me not doing an AF, I've already stated other reasons so please hold the BS on this point. It's more or less just me hating on Ca laws
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote:I have never been passed by a better bike, only better riders.

Thats some deep shit , Rhino....
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I can't really disagree or disapprove of what you want to do. (Well,'cept maybe the Yam swap. Lol) What you like is what you like. That's what makes us all different. Doing the engine swap to the 99 makes the most sense, and the best economic plan. If the steely suits you....RIDE IT.
I finally finished my AF, and while love the modern chassis and handling, the bike is too fuckin' small. I'm 6'6" and I had reservations about it, but the steely is a cumbersome beast in moto. I'm already thinking about digging up another 93 250 frame, and swapping the motor into that. The 250 I have fits me really well, and turns on rails. It's taller, and wider. Just suits me. That's just me, though.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Yeah I know what you mean and I'm only 6'2" tall. Honda AF just always felt small to me and that's not comfortable. Sitting down isn't bad, but once standing it feels like I'm riding a crf100. Also when sitting on them it feels like I'm sitting on top of the bike as opposed to sitting in the older bikes if that makes sense.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Doppler wrote: Also when sitting on them it feels like I'm sitting on top of the bike as opposed to sitting in the older bikes if that makes sense.
The Gen 1 250 feels like that to me, but I love my Gen 4.

I added these...

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product ... ts_id/1397
Foot Peg Lowereing Kit
and these....

Pro Taper ATV High Bend 31.50" wide 4.75" high 2.17" sweep
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

and my bike fits me fine, and I'm 6'6"
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I know EXACTLY what you mean, because that's how I describe it as well. Sit on it, instead of in it.
I have 5 inches of aluminum block under my mounts, so it doesn't feel like I'm standing on my head when riding. Makes all the difference in the world. Less weight transfer to the front wheel, from being pulled forward bodywise, stand up more because it's comfortable, etc. Looks like I'm riding a Harley, and people laugh at it. I give a shit. Usually tell them "Someday when you grow up and ride a mans bike, you will need risers too". The following silence is deafening. Amazing how judgemental people are when they have no clue as to the facts of the situation they're commenting on.
I trashed both ACLs in my knees, and I don't ride with same confidence on stock bar height. With the riser, I can lay the bike over knowing there is room for my legs under the bars. Especially in deep rutted corners.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Yeah I would use those for sure Bob if I ever got an AF honda. I agree the 06 450 was definitely better than the Gen 1 250 or the 02 450 I rode. Not sure what gen the 06 is (3?) but it was better.

I have 1/2" or 3/4" bar risers on my 89, helped a little bit.
I put some yamaha pegs on my cr5 before my last ride and they work well. It's the same peg just with a different centerline on the mount. It moves the pegs back and lower about 1/3" each way. Makes it better for taller guys with big feet. It would probably work on most models even newer ones. I used a peg from a 98-04 yamaha they are all the same.

You should try the yamaha pegs Scooter. Pick them up on ebay for less than $20
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i know everyone sick of hearing from me but i would of found that '89 chassis a one way ticket to hoonfest for roostious, that yamaha would of been sold yesterday and tomorrow i would find a bad ass home for that 500 mill with my new pile of cash
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I love my 426 man i wont sell it. At least not amytime soon. I like riding that stable tank hahaa.
I am still keeping the option open of selling the 89...Only time will tell.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Hmm i was just searching around and saw a couple rm250 conversions. Thats another option i will consider because i've always liked suzukis although mostly based on looks as i have never ridden one. I have read for years that tgey are excellent handlers though.

Uh oh looks like this roller coaster ride isnt over yet. HA!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Those RM250 conversions are bad-ass....

:cool:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

RM's drive nice....for the record I rode Bob's bike and it rode really nice too. I like my steely seat better and I don't think I ride good enough to tell the difference in suspension or ergo's, but Bobs bike was well set up, fit big boys really nice and was tuned better than mine was for AZ riding. It felt like my bike with a hard seat and as much as that probably sounds like I'm dissing his scoot it's actually a compliment.

I think my steely is like an old baseball mitt, you just get used to something and thats what you like. I've been on esentually the same bike for 15 years or something and everything else I ride doesn't feel like my ride.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I had the same situation. I was super comfortable on my old '88. The chassis handled great, the suspension was awesome. In 5th and wfo on the field it could be rode with 1 hand, only problem was in the bush it was a pushing slut that needed every ounce of energy to body ride it. I had an 02 250 that seemed much nicer so I bought a blown up one and did a 500 in it, then another and another. Soon I didn't even start the '88 for a whole season or more and I sold it this summer. :roll:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote: I think my steely is like an old baseball mitt, you just get used to something and thats what you like.
Yup.... I sometimes miss my Steelie....

Look at me and Paulie.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Hey Bob, who's that lummox standing to your right, facing the camera? That dude need's to get more SUN. It's almost like he grew up and never saw it. :twisted:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Thats 3rd degree sun stroke for him....
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

the lummox almost looks like brit but i dont think it is. had a 40oz of malt liquer in each hand every photo ive seen :D