What to do....what to do...

Recount your rebuilds here!
Doppler

What to do....what to do...

Post by Doppler »

Hey just looking for some opinions on how to make a better handling bike. Not that my 89 is horrible but doesn't compare to newer bikes that's for sure. I've had an 02 Yamaha 426 since new and feel way more comfortable on that bike than I do on my CR5. I revalved the suspension on it that makes it handle excellent but really it's just the way the bike feels mostly.

Anyway I've been debating on what to do.
1. Shut up and ride and save the $$ Grin
2. Make a conversion out of a yamaha....if I can ever find a good deal.
3. I just found a complete 99 CR5 roller that has some suspension work and looks to be in good condition for $400 OBO. It's about 2 hours away from me but cheap enough.

I'm thinking of going with option 3.
Would anything on my 89 fit on the 99? I.E. Wheels, plastics, tank

Thanks in advance
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Stick that motor in a modern frame :wink:
Steering damper and a suspension makeover
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

And welcome to the site, you found the right place!
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Hey thanks! Ha! Just realized that was my first post. I've been lurking and reading up on things for a while now.

By modern are you talking AF? I can't afford that right now or anytime soon. That's why I'm thinking I want to go with the 99 roller because it's cheap and has much better suspension than my 89. The suspension also can be tuned better and have more things done to it than the 89s. It's basically the same forks as my Yamaha so I know I can get them to handle well. And the shock is pretty much the same as well.

I really like the looks of my 89 but handling is more important.
What parts can I use from my 89?
Image[/img]
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

imo you would be polishing a turd trading that 89 for a newer year steely. tons of 02+ cr250 floating around. get one of them. or gen5 450. they been out for a while. certainly a few of them bit the dust by now :lol: . might see a newer ktm thats exploded :cool: . i wouldnt invest one penny trying to upgrade your steely to a newer one. youll gain little if anything. not that theyre bad bikes but go a few steps above if you know what im sayin
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Doppler wrote: I can't afford that right now or anytime soon.
After selling off their steelie parts, and whats left over from the 4 stroke parts... Hoons have MADE MONEY from doing a conversion.

You cant afford NOT to do this....
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

doppler, whats that roller going to be worth? where are you from?
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I'm in Ventura, CA (so cal). Rollers from old bikes like this aren't worth much at all, even with it being as nice as it is. I'd probably get $300 for it.
I saw an 02 CR250 roller on craigslist a few weeks ago for $600 but it was sold in an instant before I even had a chance to call. I saw the ad the day after it posted. But these deals are FAR AND FEW BETWEEN and hard to buy due to the market. I haven't seen any other good deals out there and am not willing to spend $2k right now on another bike. I don't even like the feel of newer Hondas, they feel small and cramped to me. I've ridden a few AF bikes....don't like them. Well not the Hondas anyway.
That's why I mentioned a Yamaha becasue the ergos are MUCH better for me. I've seen yz250s 02+ for decent prices here and there. I've also kicked around using an 02 yz250f that I can pick up in parts for around $400.

But anyway, since I love my 426 and the 99 has relatively the same suspension, how is that not an upgrade over my 89?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have a full Frankenbike steely. My frame right now is a 1990, the motor is a 92 and the suspension is 97 up. I think it handles great but I am one of the few who feels this way. The 97 up suspension is a huge upgrade over the early USD forks, the rear shock has the High speed adjustment. Everything from your 89 is basically usable. You could just pull the suspension and bolt it to this frame or throw your motor in the other frame. You are going to lose that nice black front rim or have to do a relace because the hub wont work on the newer stuff. The rear subframes are different and the linkage in the swingarm is different but it all should fit back and forth. I am not sure what kind of riding you do but I like my steely a lot for riding trails. Motorcross is a handfull on any 500 compared to those 4 strokes.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Yeah i ride trails, desert and hillclimbs myself. No moto here....
I did think about using the front and rear on my frame but wasnt sure if the steering stem bearings and hubs would work or not. I know the 89 is an "oddball" year for those things. At least for the steering stem anyway
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

save your money so you can do it right. newer steely wont make you a supercross star :lol: . 2yrs ago i paid $1700 for a '04 cr250. got 1G back from the motor on ebay. plus the money from the steely roller. probly into the 250 roller $500. i dont have any plans at the moment but if or when i do another swap hopefully there will be some link swingarm ktm being parted. 250sx would be the shit. after seeing them new katoom i have no desire to use anything else :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

can somebody photo chop a 500cc mill in this bitch for me :lol:

Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I'm not trying to be a supercross star.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you got opinion from people that have rode both and they advised against what your wanting to do but hey its your money going out the window. if i was piss ass broke the last thing i would buy is something almost exactly like what i already have. could easily build something if you ditch that yamaha. cr500AF is 1047823943x the bike that thing will ever be. :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Doppler wrote:I'm in Ventura, CA (so cal). Rollers from old bikes like this aren't worth much at all, even with it being as nice as it is. I'd probably get $300 for it.
I saw an 02 CR250 roller on craigslist a few weeks ago for $600 but it was sold in an instant before I even had a chance to call. I saw the ad the day after it posted. But these deals are FAR AND FEW BETWEEN and hard to buy due to the market. I haven't seen any other good deals out there and am not willing to spend $2k right now on another bike. I don't even like the feel of newer Hondas, they feel small and cramped to me. I've ridden a few AF bikes....don't like them. Well not the Hondas anyway.
That's why I mentioned a Yamaha becasue the ergos are MUCH better for me. I've seen yz250s 02+ for decent prices here and there. I've also kicked around using an 02 yz250f that I can pick up in parts for around $400.

But anyway, since I love my 426 and the 99 has relatively the same suspension, how is that not an upgrade over my 89?
if you want to sell it, I'd give you $350 for the roller if it can find a ride over to hoonfest in arizona. From there I'd have a ride home for it. :wink:
let me know
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I think there are a few guys from socal going to Hoonfest so you could send your old roller over with one of them. Pretty much a wash to upgrade to newer suspension. As an added bonus of rolling steel you can get the parts to keep it alive for nothing because everyone is whacking them into AF's. I have ridden a couple AF's now and they are pretty cool but as far as how they ride I can't really tell the handling difference but I just ride whatever is under me, I liked the way my old xr500 chopper rode.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Im not broke, just dont want to spend lots of money on a AF honda that i dont feel comfortable on.
Roosty i will keep that in mind if i decide to sell it but for now im wanting to keep it. If i end up getting the roller i will usr all the best parts from both on that bike. Then with the spare roller im going to make a hybrid possibly using my friends 200x engine that is rotting away not being used. It will be a fun play bike/ beginner bike/ loaner.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Doppler wrote:Im not broke, just dont want to spend lots of money on a AF honda that i dont feel comfortable on.
I've NEVER heard of someone not feelin' a GEN 3 250..... ever.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I'm down to 1 steelie bike right now, a 2000. I want to build an 89 tho. I have 4 gen3 500s and a gen4 500 in the works yet. I love those gen3 bikes, I havent spent much time on the '00 in the last few years. maybee got a gallong thru it. I just like the looks of the 89 bike and want one for the lineup :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

nothing wrong if you dont want a honda frame. but it wont be tons of money if you keep your eyes open and make wise decision. find a blown yamaha or kawasaki or whatever. like i said before im into my gen3 the same amount your going to pay for that '98 steely :wink:

i posted a gen3 blown cr125 for $500. you dont want honda but look in local classified for shit like that. check TT for parted out bikes. alot of parted ktm on ktmtalk
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

I've only ridden a couple 02 CRF450s so that's what I'm mostly basing my dislikes on. But I've sat on a couple others and they felt the same way to me. Short between the seat and pegs and just smallish overall feeling. I know you can get a taller seat, but I don't need any higher center of gravity that's for sure. Maybe I would like a gen 3 I don't know, I'd have to try it. I saw a like new 04 CR250 roller just now for $1000. I think I'd rather buy a complete bike in order to sell off some stuff and get some money back. Seems like the smarter way to go if I end up going that direction.

I like the looks of the 89 too Roosty! The decals on the shrouds are simple, but look cool. And the all red is a good look as well.

I saw a blown 04 crf250 for $800. How hard are those swaps?

What's the easiet AF Honda to swap the CR250?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I had a cherry '88 but sold it in the summer, even had used it for the wedding. An '89 would be closer but I could hang my '00 parts on it :wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

check the AF section here. theres a pretty cool suzuki. definatly dont need to do a honda if you dont like them. seems there was a kawasaki here to but i dont know where. was a ktm and yamaha on the other site
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

put your 89 in a crate and ship it to me and ill send you the cash there are plenty of cr500 motors out there why part out a perfectly good one im looking for one like that to resto and park in the shed
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Yeah I know anything can be done so any bike works. I don't have a welder though and my friend who does doesn't have any or much experience with aluminum.
So I'd like to find the easiest swap for right now. Obviously a CR5 would be the easiest and I've read that YZ250s are really easy also with only motor mount mods needed.
But what honda is the easiest? I've checked out the AF section but there isn't a "easiest" thread that I remember so if anyone knows off hand that'd be great.