sand turns

Use some common sense ....
2strokeforever

sand turns

Post by 2strokeforever »

this is the only spot here without snow, trying to learn to turn properly but its hit and miss
i found sitting on the gas cap seems to help
any tips?
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Get a paddle.....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you want to keep the front end light, sit back, turn with the throttle and the rear of the bike and lean the bike but not yourself. Atleast thats what works for me in the sand. You cannot rely on the direction of the front wheel to make you go that way, just gas it and push the back end out.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Maybe a video from a bystander will help us see what you sre doing. it just looks like you are throwing the bike side to side in that video.

You definitely need a paddle if you want to ride aggressively in the sand....it will let the rear end bite in and pull you out of a slide, which seems to be why you crashed every time.

sand is tricky, especially when it is loose and dry. whole different feeling than dirt
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

paddle isnt really an option cause that tiny patch is the only sand around, and its probably frozen now :(
running a M5B 5lbs of air, would a higher pressure be better?
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

NightBiker07 wrote:You definitely need a paddle if you want to ride aggressively in the sand....it will let the rear end bite in and pull you out of a slide, which seems to be why you crashed every time.
Yup...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I do it on nobbies all the time, but you have to keep moving and keep moving at a pretty high pace and you need to keep the front light.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Well, if paddle isnt an option, then try to maintain more speed. maybe leave the bike a gear higher to get more grab from the tire.

lower pressure is better for a knobby in the sand.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Move to Florida, you'll get good real quick. :lol:
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

dannygraves wrote:you want to keep the front end light, sit back, turn with the throttle and the rear of the bike and lean the bike but not yourself. Atleast thats what works for me in the sand. You cannot rely on the direction of the front wheel to make you go that way, just gas it and push the back end out.

That works for big fast sweeping turns in the dunes, but for hard sharp U-turns I sit as far forward as possible, stick the front wheel into the turn, slam the bike and myself to one side and nail the throttle half way through the turn. No paddles here......I use an IRC M5B @ 8-10 psi.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I grew up riding the Florida sand, the track in this video is just like it.
http://youtu.be/rrca21Kqgx8
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Man for what you are doing, goofing around in some sand, everything looks fine, but to master turning I think the problem is you have no guidlines for the turn you are trying make. If you set up some cones or just established a track you would get better at the turns by learning to hang in the groove or blow up the loam outside of the turn or flatslide a big fast turn,but without guidlines just whipping it about I am not sure you will achieve what you are after. Half of a turn is the set up coming into it, then the exit. I know you are not trying to become the track master but you still need to have entry and exit points so you are controlling the bike through the turn instead of letting the bike flail another direction because thats where it wants to go. In the dunes you can lay back and carve, but when ripping a sand wash where there isn't room to take it wide its back to attack mode, up on the tank, elblows up, head up and keep the gas on.

For me one of the things that helped me out a lot on turns was racing around on xr80's. I am way too big for the 80 so if I let off the gas it takes a day or two to get it going again. ripping 80's around taught me how to maintain corner speed instead of always just using the 500 turning method of on-off.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote:.... ripping 80's around taught me how to maintain corner speed .
Thats where the fast guys are fastest....
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

AlisoBob wrote:
Rhino89523 wrote:.... ripping 80's around taught me how to maintain corner speed .
Thats where the fast guys are fastest....
For the record I am not claiming to be a fast guy and my style sucks and is totally unorthodox so I probably shouldn't even respond to this post and 2stroke should probably take everything I say and work really hard to forget it.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Trace told me.... pound for pound... your the friggin' White Bubba....

Dont give me any of this "I cant ride " shit...

:wink:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

but to master turning I think the problem is you have no guidlines for the turn you are trying make. If you set up some cones or just established a track you would get better at the turns
thanks, i never thought of that, but it makes sense, i was just leaning and holding it wfo and seeing what happened
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Hold if WFO with a paddle, and your arms will grow 2".
britincali

Post by britincali »

Looks to me like your using the front wheel to do all the turning, sand is all about laying on the rear fender, keeping the front light and steering with throttle and body position. It looked like you were almost stopped and pivoting around the front wheel to me???

Its a weird feeling but when your really moving the front is probably only 20% of the equation while pitching the back out then planting your weight on the rear plus gobfulls of throttle is the majority getting the job done.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

britincali wrote:Looks to me like your using the front wheel to do all the turning, sand is all about laying on the rear fender, keeping the front light and steering with throttle and body position. It looked like you were almost stopped and pivoting around the front wheel to me???

Its a weird feeling but when your really moving the front is probably only 20% of the equation while pitching the back out then planting your weight on the rear plus gobfulls of throttle is the majority getting the job done.
exactly
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Dude I found these photo's my bud took at sand mountain. It's with his Gopro so it has that bubble distortion and he had it set on like 1 second intervals or something like that there is a whole sequence. Anyway I am pinned in whatever gear the bike will pull with my fat ass sitting on there. I am not saying this is the form because I am a sitdown rider and that is pretty poor form period, but if you look at the second shot the front tire isn't leaving a track or touching the ground, I am not trying to do that it's just how the bike likes to ride sand, my ass, body position and power are turning the bike the front end is just giving me something to hold onto.

britincali

Post by britincali »

Like I said you steer with the rear wheel :wink: :)
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

You know you like that sand Brit....tons of wind the night before followed by morning rain. It was a Monday so everyone had left and we had the place to ourselves, skies parted and we got to rip fresh all day. It's like a powder day for dune rippers.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote:Image
The newest "Bitchin' Photo " award winner....

:twisted:

http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... 155#132155
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:Like I said you steer with the rear wheel :wink: :)
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

AlisoBob wrote:
britincali wrote:Like I said you steer with the rear wheel :wink: :)
Thats a sweet photo!