new tires

Use some common sense ....
100hp honda

new tires

Post by 100hp honda »

anybody tried these nexen m/t ? found a local tire shop that had some in 235/75 r15 and was thinking of buying them. seemed pretty good price $171 a tire for mounted, balanced, tax etc. just not sure how many miles they would go. is 30k seem reasonable if they were rotated regularly ? will be driving alot on the highway during winter.

fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I used to have Nexen Roadian's (not that same tread pattern though) on the company 3/4 ton that I take all over the country... with a trailer it always felt like the rear of the truck was walking side to side just a little, and they seemed to wear pretty fast.

We've got Firestone Transforce's on it now and they feel pretty good, and are wearing well.

$.02
Last edited by fastkart on October 16th, 2011, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

171/tire sounds pretty steep. I'd buy a yokohama geaolander AT for less than that, likely 145 loose. The 33" (285/75r16) MTs i bought in june were only 250/tire. The AT's last forever. Dad runs a set on his hummer too. He's been out in monument valley climbing all over the place and grinding that truck down the gravel backroads here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i know AT last long time. was looking for something with more bite though. looked at some goodyear dura trac at walmart for $186 otd. i cant buy loose tires because then i have to pay someone to mount them and ill be back at the original price. aint like i got a tire machine in the garage :roll: :lol:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

You need to find a tire shop like the one I use locally. First time I ever did business with them I brought my own set of tires. They mounted, balanced and disposed of the old tires for $32.
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Check out the Federal Couragia M/T cheap. just put some on my 1 ton
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the nitto trail grapplers are the big rave in M/Ts right now and very afordable when compared to the competition. Everyone is happy with Toyo Muds, they are pricier but are said to be the best constructed M/T. I have procomp extreme A/Ts on my truck and they are like a a/t m/t cross where they have deep lugs like a M/T , but they are pricey and like other cooper made large tires (mickey thompson and dick cepek) they don't balance worth a shit. They have been wearing very nicely and hookup well in the dirt and sand.
If I were shopping for muds, it would be the nittos or the toyos, BFG are overpriced and aren't anything special.
Nexxen makes cheapo tires that are usually sold on ebay, I'd stay away. On the 3000gt/stealth board there were a few guys who bought wheel and tire packages on ebay that came with nexxen z-rated tires and there were many cases of sidewall blowouts and belt separation. Tires are one thing I will not go cheap on.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ZETTNORCAL wrote:Check out the Federal Couragia M/T cheap. just put some on my 1 ton
any idea how many miles they will go ? might be able to order 4 loose ones online and have them mounted locally for $620 total. that aint bad. regardless what brand i get i need to stay under $700 for the whole ball of wax
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

nitto trail grapler looks sweet but nothing in 15" wheel.
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

100hp honda wrote:
ZETTNORCAL wrote:Check out the Federal Couragia M/T cheap. just put some on my 1 ton
any idea how many miles they will go ? might be able to order 4 loose ones online and have them mounted locally for $620 total. that aint bad. regardless what brand i get i need to stay under $700 for the whole ball of wax
Not sure. I just bought a set of 35-12.50x20's for my dodge the price was right. tiresbyweb.com was the best price and free shipping. They came shipped seperatly from fedex. I could'nt belive the price and how fast they got here from MI (4 days)
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

what kind of truck are these going on? 235/75-15 is awefully small for a mud tire thats like 29". even on my stock ranger I had 31x10.5-15s and there were no clearence issues, infact, I could have cleared 32s. My truck clears 35s stock and I may go up to a 37 with a leveling kit on the next set.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

stock dakota. original tire size is 215/75 r15. has bald 235/75 r15 on now. i put the spare on just to check clearance. its brand new 235/75 r15. clears ok but dont want to go no bigger. checked some online places and its seems pretty frikin cheap even with shipping. walmart is only $46 for mounting and balancing for all 4. might just do the online thing and take them to walmart for mount/balance. i dont know. really wanted to get some in the next day or so though. shipping gonna be atleast 7 days probly
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

you can hagle with tiresbyweb.com too. They knocked off $50 no problem
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I just put these Goodyear Duratracs on my Excursion:

Cost me just shy of $200/each

Lots of good reviews...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

These are General Grabber AT2's.... I get them for $600 a set of 4 , out the door.

Their ok, a little noisy. Wear well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... GRAT2OWLLT

For your size, their $460 a set online. You should be able to find them locally for that price.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I agree your first post the price seemed high, like more than I pay for 35's. You had a couple other things going on that I figured I would comment on. Mud tires generally don't last as long as an all terrain. I won't run all terrains because I would just get stuck all the time but my truck is as much tractor as truck so it's a give and take sort of deal. Mud tires are noisy on the freeway and they will cup out easy without rotating especially if the vehicle is heavy. Mud tires turn into total hockey pucks in the ice unless they are studded or have some sipeing but when siped go away even faster and cup more. For me Mud tires are the true all terrain, I just drive slow in the ice, In the snow like 3' plus my truck is usually the only thing still moving aside from snow removal equipment.

Good luck with whatever you pick but I would look at a set of all terrains if your mostly going to be on the street, they are better at all of the daily tasks but they will leave you walking in the clay behind my house when it's wet out. I have to give a thumbs up to the BFG tires even though many think they are over rated. The all terrain lasted like 80,000 on my Mom's toyota 4x4 and this sounds weird but BFG's are always round. I am on a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers right now because the price was right but compared to my Mud Terrains they make my truck feel older than it is. The Mud terrains drove nice and didn't howl too bad. My truck sometimes sits for a month or so until needed. The Mud Terrains always felt great my Dunlops get flat spots that take 20 miles or so to heat up and go away. The Mud Terrains took the least amount of weight to balance of all the 35's I've ever had.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

buying tires online then having the pimple face dipshit at walmart mount them up seems to be definatly cheapest from what i can tell. postponed the tires for now though. front axle seals leaking, ball joints going out, timing chain rattling, rear tranny seal leaking, rear bearing in t-case getting worn, ill be busy for a while :x . first and last dodge ill probly ever buy. pretty sure i know why everyone going with toyota :D

guess i cant complain much. 15yo seals are bound to leak. and timing chain and belts usually need replaced at 100K