Clunker Math

Express YOUR point, no pissing matches.

List sources whenever possible!
MojoScojo

Clunker Math

Post by MojoScojo »

The person who calculated this bit of information is now and has been a professor at the University of West Virginia in Morgantown for the last forty some years (I have no confirmation of that nor the calculation used. Regardless, this is amusing….)

A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year.

A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons of gas a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

The government claims 700,000 clunkers have been replaced so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars.

So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.

We spent $8.57 for every $1.00 we saved.

But I'm pretty sure they will do a better job with our health care.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

nevermind, I have a 1992 caprice with a 305 that will get 30mpg on the highway, and I have on several trips while going 70-75 mph. Its solid, its cheap to work on, brakes last 60,000k+. Its comfortable like a sofa, its silent inside it, its rear wheel drive. It'll hit a deer and stil make it home. The wife driving it backroads to work gets 20mpg.
I paid 2300$ for the car

My wife didnt like it so we get a 2006 malibu with a 3.5, same trips it maxes out the mileage at 27 at 65mph down to 20 at 75mph. Its small, its front wheel drive, you dont sit square infront of the steering wheel and my right leg hurst like a bastard from leaning against the console area. Its hard on brakes, it doesn't heat, its got bad wind noise, Its not worth a crap on the winter roads and with her driving backroads to work it gets 20mpg. Cost us 12000$ a few years back.

now she wants a fucking chevy cruze or some shit because it "gets better fuel mileage" they claim 35 or so, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:....you dont sit square infront of the steering wheel
That would drive me insane......

Brit said the clunker deal pulled all the cars off the road that the poor people buy 2nd hand.... solid cars with a few dents or a ripped seat.

Now the cost of used cars has skyrocketed, due to mega high demand and zero supply.

Poor people vote like crazy for democrats.

HEY POOR PEOPLE, YOU STILL LIKE TAKING IT IN THE ASS BY YOUR BUDDY OBAMA?????

You'll prolly' vote for him again....

Suckers........
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:now she wants a fucking chevy cruze or some shit because it "gets better fuel mileage" , WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buy her a Duramax.....
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i'm going to show up in the truck and give her a card that reads

NOT FOR YOU

:lol: