Paypal for a bike?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Gmbond

Paypal for a bike?

Post by Gmbond »

I'm selling a bike of mine locally and someone has contacted me and way to buy and use paypal to prepay and then pick up the bike, I've never dealt with this before, so I'm kinda nervous about the whole thing. I've only ever used paypal to buy so I'm not even sure what I need todo as an account to do this??

Any help would be appreciated.

I've always been a cash in hand person to person with a handshake to seal the deal kind of guy when it has came to selling things. Is there any BS wu this could screw me if I accept paypal, do I need to wait for it to clear?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

scammers, They can always complain to paypal and have the payment retracted.
Suggest a bank draft to save them the fee from paypal. Ask for their bank and their account manager.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Seriously? He's LOCAL and wants to Paypal you? Wow. Just tell him to bring the cash and he can have the bike. Sounds pretty simple to me. Is this the 500 roller you had for sale that you and I talked about?
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I know it all seems fishy.

I'm going to say, cash or nothing, and I'll deliver it (within reason) if needed even.

This is a 2005 CR250. I sold the roller months ago...

Thanks guys I knew my gut feeling seemed right.
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

I just used Paypal to get the money for my 97' and it worked good. Of course it was Waz from this board and he lives in Australia. :D If you do use it withdraw the money before you deliver the bike.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

If it was someone from here, or someone I knew/met/trusted at all I'd be okay with it. Even if he could give me some decent answers to why he needs to use paypal.

I'm just telling him to bugger off. Cash or nothing, and I'll even deliver it to him if that's the issue.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

He may be trying to use his credit card to pay for your bike because you have the option of using different funding sources. I got burned on paypal recently out of the country. Dude said he never got the item, he wanted the cheapest shipping, well with the cheapest shipping there was no tracking only that it had left the hub. I had no way to prove he got it and because paypal was so great they refunded his money even though he had only been a memeber for 3 months and I had been for almost 10 years and have a perfect track record and ebay rating. It pissed me off pretty good. I sent paypal all of my correspondence with him saying all the things he didn't want to pay for, what I didn't realize is he had essentually shifted all the responsibility onto me...lesson learned and $500 less to spend on my toys.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Paypal protects the buyer not seller.

I recently read a thread where a guy sold an $8000 watch to someone on the other side of the country, the guy emails him and tell him he had an issue with damage on the watch and has shipped it back. Seller gets the box back only to find a $20 seiko inside.

Paypal refunded the buyers money in full as he had shipping and delivery conformation and the box weighed the same. Seller got fucked out of $8000 and a beautiful watch. Be careful :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok