YZ 465 Jetting troubles

Recount your rebuilds here!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

YZ 465 Jetting troubles

Post by jbsleddin »

Still working the bugs out of my 81 YZ 465. I know those old big bores were famous for their run-on type surging on deceleration, but want to correct this. The overall jetting condition seems somewhat rich, but low rpm range seeming lean. When I rev it in neutral, it takes several seconds of the old "ting ting tings" before it idles down normally. I am thinking that the slide may need replacing, as the chrome looked fairly worn when I cleaned it. Does that sound like the probable cause? The air screw doesn't seem to have much impact on this. I've already eliminated the probability of any air leaks, and besides, if there was an air leak it should surge at all times, and be consistently lean. Only other guess could be a timing issue, I don't know where else to look. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

What exactly does it have for a carb?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have one of those bikes too, I think its a 38mm round slide mikuni but I am not staring at it right now.
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Yes, Mikuni round slide. Under further inspection, I think my carb boot is leaking. Wasn't at first, but was cracked and may have given out after a couple of runs. Just my luck, those bastards aren't cheap!
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

jbsleddin wrote:Yes, Mikuni round slide. Under further inspection, I think my carb boot is leaking. Wasn't at first, but was cracked and may have given out after a couple of runs. Just my luck, those bastards aren't cheap!
www.hotfootmoto.com
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Owned one back in the day. As I recall, the quote from then was, "If it ain't pingin', it aint RUNNIN!" They were a nasty machine to jet and I seem to remember, if you could get rid of the pinging, then it was too lean.