Z50 Honda Bikes - UPDATE

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

A video from last Sunday, it's +20c today :roll:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=bd4aa268 ... 2E9%213451
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

The forks are Brand X minis chromoly lower tubes +1" with HD springs and Delrin bushings. About $100 off eBay for the Kit from brand x minis in Ohio. they are for a crf50 so the brake assembly needs to be swapped to the other side and a longer cable used (I also used the fork guards from a crf also)

Haven't rode it enough to have chain issues. It's a brand new DID 420. I was going to use a stock older cr250 plastic guide shell to help as well make a mount for a lower chain roller and a slide plate on top of the swingarm.

The swingarm itself is stretched 2" with machined slugs and welded and smoothed.

Are you seeing any issue with the chain/alignment that I should be checking??

The chain seems to run nice and straight from sprocket to sprocket so far.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

my alignment was perfect, i do want to add a tooth to the countershaft, i find im starting off in 2nd. I wanted this one to look like an updated stock bike, the one for the boy is bone stock, i'm making another thats extended and blacked out for dad to scoot around the pit area of the speedways with :lol:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Yea 1 st is useless. I'm 14/37. I think a 15 tooth countershaft would help 1st. Even with the 2" stretch swingarm it just wants to wheelie. Except for the lean bog I hit when I crack the throttle. gotta jet that out ASAP.

The exhaust is a little overkill but I'm growing used to the look of it although I had to add my own baffle to it as for neighborhood use it was far too barky.

The hydraulic clutch is okay except I hate the "unbreakable levers" althought I even don't like the "real" ones. Needed to use a cr clutch perch adjuster for the slave cylinder to set into for the pull to actually release tho.

I've got two buddies with the TrailBikes 88cc full kits that I want to be able to smoke. I don't think it'll be a problem the way this thing pulls even with the jetting messed up.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Well went for a z50 trail ride last night. It was a blast, bike worked great just a few bugs still

Number one is the low pipe. I don't think I can live with it for even play riding around. I was hearing it ping off rocks every two seconds.

I definitely need to gear up a bit as first isn't usable.

The pogo stick forks are odd at first. In hindsight the 40psi in both tires probably isn't the greatest either.

Ended up with a 42 pilot, 100 main and while I can "make" it bog on purpose, when riding it never missed a beat.

It will also pull on a crf150f pretty good, until I run out of gearing. (I also weigh about 100lbs more than the rider on the crf)

Have you checked valve clearance yet? I was thinking it might be a good idea now that it's broken in??
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I haven't, but I did chane to using brad penn 15/40 oil.
I bought a 16 tooth sprocket to try also.