My new AF experience has been terrible

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
coley13

My new AF experience has been terrible

Post by coley13 »

Finally got a chance to take my bike out for a run... it's got some major problems in the engine department....

Left me stranded today, had to walk 4km back to the car..

Seems to run fine cold, once the temp increases anything above half throttle it feels like it's misfiring...

EDIT i mean engine temps not ambient air temps.

it feels like it's electrical, never felt jetting that bad so cant tell if it is

The changes, my engine was running nice before the build. Saying that i have put a new stock standard cylinder on the bike. My previous cylinder was opened up a little "standard port hieghts" but nothing major. I am still running my 40mm PJ carb , i am also running for the first time the coil from the 125 instead of the 500 coil.....

exact same jetting i've always run... it used to be perfect starting cold

NOW, it's a bitch to start cold I came out of a creek bed and it misfired badly 1/2 to full throttle and died under load.

It will not start again, i've tried new plugs, air screw etc. NO GO. I've got spark. The plug i pulled when it stopped was a tad rich but NOT wet..

I'm stumped.
Last edited by coley13 on August 28th, 2011, 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

sounds like the coil?
bad luck about the walk man.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

just because it sparks in the atmosphere doesnt mean it sparks under compression.

If you have spare parts or a parts bike, id say its time to start swapping parts.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i've gone over the electrical system, checked ohms readings for everything. I have NOT checked peak voltage. I dont know how. Dont have an adaptor.

The coils from both 125 and 500 give same readings...

It may even be fuel, i'll double check.. My bike was similar once before about 8 years ago. I turned out to be choke assembly collapased. I've checked it. It's not that.

Surely the jetting wouldnt be that far out just from swapping the cylinder over
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

main jet hasnt come loose and fallen out mate
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
coley13

Post by coley13 »

OK, swapped the coil " Bang " started first kick. Still not understanding why the other coil failed though.

Primary and secondary winding had the same values. Maybe something more sinister going on in there.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

when switching ignitions, they are ment to be run together as complete units.
running parts from different ignitions does not always give good results. there was a ignition dyno post that gave results for mixing and matching ignitions. and using different coils gave mixed results.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.