What Clutch Kit do You Recommend?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
plynn41

What Clutch Kit do You Recommend?

Post by plynn41 »

I smoked the clutch on my '85 engine. Any advice on which kits to avoid? Which kits hold up well on high-torque engines?
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Theres only one...

Barnett CARBON ( Not the kevlar)
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I wonder why rekluse recommends staying stock on the fibers?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

for the barnett is it just the heavier springs that keep it alive??
im on my 3rd clutch, put 3 heavy ebc springs in there to make this clutch last but the lever is too heavy now...
right about now my basket is shot, pressure plate is probably worn 1/8th of an inch and the hub is getting close

got a spare tusk clutch im gonna try when this one bites the dust, at $50 i can aford to replace them a few times a year

eventualy im gonna go barnett basket and pressure plate, new prox hub and new oem springs
hopefully with the other clutch parts being new it dosent eat discs as bad

my last one the discs had a few thou left till manual spec for shot, but it lit up bad in 5th and 4th gear, stock springs
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

If it was just the springs the kevlar would do the trick, right?

You must be some kind of hard on a clutch. I was getting a full hard season on a CR250 clutch racing hard in the A class with NO slip at the end of the season.

Hardly ever changed a 500 clutch after I ditched the magura.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

heres the deal with plates. if your the type that slips the fuk out of it all day then maybe carbon works better. as for holding power, figured the 550 would of blown apart the tusks by now but aint happened yet. enough proof for me :lol:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

If you can, upgrade to a modern basket- 85 clutch sucks. That stupid little BB in there doesn't work worth a damn.
03 CRF450/85 500
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

nmdesertrider wrote:If you can, upgrade to a modern basket- 85 clutch sucks. That stupid little BB in there doesn't work worth a damn.
Probably not gonna happen on this bike--at least for a while. I'm putting the good money in parts for the af conversion. This bike is just the play-bike, test mule. I might even sell it to finance some of the af conversion.

BTW, I didn't have any complaints with the clutch before it toasted. I had shimmed the stock springs to try to get it to live longer,...but it lasted 4 track rides.

And 100HP, I'm probably tougher on the clutch than I have to be. Still used to riding a 250.
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

plynn41 wrote:
nmdesertrider wrote:If you can, upgrade to a modern basket- 85 clutch sucks. That stupid little BB in there doesn't work worth a damn.
Probably not gonna happen on this bike--at least for a while. I'm putting the good money in parts for the af conversion. This bike is just the play-bike, test mule. I might even sell it to finance some of the af conversion.

BTW, I didn't have any complaints with the clutch before it toasted. I had shimmed the stock springs to try to get it to live longer,...but it lasted 4 track rides.

And 100HP, I'm probably tougher on the clutch than I have to be. Still used to riding a 250.
If you ride smaller bikes along with your 500 you will ride the clutch.
I've done it myself.
I rode my ancient YZ125A at DD and then got on the 480 and rode it the same way instead of short shifting. Scary.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i would go with tusk if your not wanting to spend much. i dont usually buy cheap parts of unknown qaulity but they been working damn good for me. theyre like any other standard plate though, heavy slippage will probly kill them fairly quick. hondas aint no different. they die fast with alot of slippage. the material aint designed for that. thus the invention of carbon or kevlar. dont confuse this with holding power. tusk grips just as tight as any other plate. difference is how much heat the material can handle
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Most every clutch lever I've ever wiggled when checkin' out bikes had near zero freeplay.

Zero freeplay kills clutches
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

AlisoBob wrote:Most every clutch lever I've ever wiggled when checkin' out bikes had near zero freeplay.

Hadn't thought of that Bob, and yes, I'm guilty.

And thanks everyone for the input. I may put a Tusk kit in this bike, and spend the money on the carbon fiber kit on the AF conversion, which I expect to race pretty regularly.
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i check pretty often the slave cylinder has freeplay,
then again in the trails its easier to clutch it than to shift
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

rule of thumb is you should be able to fit a quarter between the perch and the lever for free play. The quick adjusters the Macgrath made popular RULE :headbang: :headbang:
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

I just ordered an EBC drc complete kit for this bike. I didn't find a Tusk kit anywhere for the older style clutch. Could only find EBC, Barnett, and a couple of brands I didn't recognize. As said before, will plan on putting the Barnett carbon fiber in the AF because I expect it to be raced hard and often.
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

seanmx57 wrote:rule of thumb is you should be able to fit a quarter between the perch and the lever for free play. The quick adjusters the Macgrath made popular RULE :headbang: :headbang:
Damm I must really be a tight wad, I always just use a nickel
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I stack two nickels together
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

plynn41 wrote:I just ordered an EBC drc complete kit for this bike. I didn't find a Tusk kit anywhere for the older style clutch. Could only find EBC, Barnett, and a couple of brands I didn't recognize. As said before, will plan on putting the Barnett carbon fiber in the AF because I expect it to be raced hard and often.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... ilyId=3012 should of asked :wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

some secrets i dont talk about but i will say kx and cr fibers are basically identical in dimension. oem kx have deeper chanells for oil though :wink:
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

UPDATE:
Got the EBC Dirt Racer kit in today, soaked the cork fiber plates for 2 hours, then installed it all. WOW--what a difference!

I had no idea how much performance I had been losing with the old plates--even at low rpms. Bike is faster than I realized :D . I will have to get used to how hard it grabs now--definitely needs a different touch on the clutch. I 'bout looped it coming out of a turn more than once today. (Fresh rain and tacky dirt might have played a part).

Now to keep the clutch alive...
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart