Question about a KTM 500

Recount your rebuilds here!
mightyhammer

Question about a KTM 500

Post by mightyhammer »

Hey fellas, Coop here. I am not sure if we have a "general" forum here, so if I am in the wrong spot..... kill me later!
I am not a big KTM fan, but I got a very good deal on an '85 500mx, and was wondering if anyone here knows much about them or who besides ebay might carry parts, also interchangeability??? Any help appreciated.
I did a post an intro in the intro forum and I do have CR500s. Coop
100hp honda

Re: Question about a KTM 500

Post by 100hp honda »

mightyhammer wrote:I am not a big KTM fan
then i would pass. unless its in mint condition for dirt cheap ....or..... your a bike collector and willing to mortgage your house for a frame up restoration. even if its in superb condition you may need parts down the road. used ebay junk may be your only option. waterpumps rotted like honda but i dont think you can buy new ones any more. like any 26yo bike, parts are scarse and/or impossible to find. if its roached it will quickly drain your wallet just to get it ready to ride. dont get me wrong i think it would be a badass bike to have but know what your getting into.
mightyhammer

Post by mightyhammer »

yea, I already bought it. It is in very decent shape except for the rear fender. Even the water pump housing is in good shape. I know it is going to need a new carb boot. I was just wondering.... Thanks 100hp
mightyhammer

Post by mightyhammer »

I don't feel bad. I did get it for almost nothing.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

congratulations. take the waterpump cover off, if you havent already and look. thats where the problems occured. had a '91 here and it was rotted to hell.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

carb to airbox boot ? not sure but '85 may have been a 1 year thing. some dude from another site was looking for one. i searched and couldnt find anything. good luck finding a new one. if its carb to engine i think its 1 year thing also. something from the 495 may work. or the whole reed cage assembly from the newer 500 possibly. go to ktmtalk and see if any one there has something
mightyhammer

Post by mightyhammer »

LOL, That might have to wait a while..... I have a hard enough time keeping up with riders and banned..... :shock:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

post up if you hit a snag. got 4 of them old dinosaurs
mightyhammer

Post by mightyhammer »

will do!