Riding technique section

I'll hear your comments, dosent mean I'll do squat about it.... but I'll listen.
Post Reply
User avatar
homenf
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Sparks, NV

Riding technique section

Post by homenf »

Maybe I just can't find this here, but it would seem to be a good idea. Riding a 500 is a different monster for sure. I had some questions on how others ride in it motocross. I did find some good tutorials scattered around in here, just didn't seem to be in the same section.

What gear works best out of the gate? Concrete pad vs dirt?
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."

User avatar
Tharrell
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Mount Airy, NC

Post by Tharrell »

A lot of that stuff is skill level and bike prep (gearing, porting etc..)
Most of my starts just about everywhere and just about on anything is 2nd gear even on my 1974 YZ125A.
The 125 is wound so tight you almost have to start in 2nd gear (5 speed).
My 500 is so powerful, again, you almost have to start in 2nd gear (92 close ratio).
A slippery, loose start can qualify for 3rd because you'll be looking for it as soon as you start rolling. Better to wind it up and slip the clutch a little for smooth traction and skip a shift.
My 480 is a 4 speed and I still start in 2nd gear.
I consistently get great starts, motocross and cross country.
I'm just a wuss when it comes to the first turn pileups.
I'll be on the extreme inside or extreme outside, if I don't get a clear holeshot I just cruise the first turn and THEN race.
I love squaring turns and stuffing my friends!
Of course, there's always the roost factor after you stuff them :D

btw-Is that you and your dog in your avatar? It's cool.
Sorta looks like my dog Arthur.
Image

User avatar
homenf
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Sparks, NV

Post by homenf »

Thanks for the input! That is my ol' dog Storm with me on my 125. She didn't really like it up there but it made a funny picture. Not sure how some desert racers do that.

I start in second on my 125 and get the holeshot about 75% of the time the other 25% i'm in top three even against new 250fs. After I fixed my clutch on the 500 my best start is a second. I didn't know I was basically riding a slipper clutch up to that point.

Do you start in second or third on concrete?
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."

User avatar
Tharrell
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Mount Airy, NC

Post by Tharrell »

Usually 2nd, I don't like concrete starts though.

Post Reply