First track ride on the '88

Recount your rebuilds here!
plynn41

First track ride on the '88

Post by plynn41 »

I've had this bike running since February, but due to circumstances have not got to ride it, except for a couple of times around the yard. Took it to the track yesterday for the first time--this is also my first time to ride a 500 on a track. The bike was clearly the fastest bike on the track (with one of the slowest riders aboard). Got several "oohs" and "aahs" from the folks who knew what it was. One teen age kid on a CRF250R walked up while I was changing jets and said "That's a cool looking pipe on that bike--where can I get one".
The bike runs about like I expected it to after the port work. It's probably softer off the bottom than stock, but quickly gets busy and pulls like a freight train until you run out of track. The second picture is a 4th gear wheelie with me sitting up front.
I was uncomfortable with the handling--the bike got the head shakes a couple of times when coming down from a jump. The bike has got new steering head bearings and the nut is torqued right. Well, it's mostly supposed to be a play bike--so who cares if I get lapped.
Image[/img]
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart