Plug choice

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
scooter5002

Plug choice

Post by scooter5002 »

Need some advice hoons. Just spoke with Redline on an NGK plug. They tell me that the R7282-8 has been discontinued, but the -7 and -9 are available. So the question is which way do I go? I ride my 500 mostly in sand, throttle wide open, on hot summer days with lots of humidity, 500ft above sea level. Do I go with a hotter plug or colder? I've never run anything BUT an 8. Err on the side of caution and go colder? Or just say "Fuck it, buy both at $50 a pop and test 'em?"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

that would suck ballz if your forced to use $50 plug. no possible way to use a regular one ?

never had a reason to try a 7 but i used a 9. was dead within hours. maybe youll have better luck
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I've run the BR*EG and B*EGV, where the * is the heat number and they only cost about $4 a piece.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

CR500's dont foul plugs...

Buy 4 "8's" now while you can.... Hell, even AMAZON has em....

Its a life time supply....
britincali

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote:CR500's dont foul plugs...

I used to think that :oops: :oops: :oops:

If clearence isnt a problem stick with the good ole B8ES.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Clearance is the issue. I have an 04 450 and the tank wont clear the plug. I have an aftermarket non-resistor cap and it's close. Thinking MAYBE if I massage the drain tube it might work. Was trying to avoid the gas tank/heat gun mod. Usually all I run is a BR8EG with no issues. To sum it up, I'm kinda' anal and want to do this job neat and professional looking. (I know, I know it's under the tank, but I'LL know it's been torched) Figured sometimes spending the money is worth it, even if it seems like too much. Not much I can do about the shit MPS frame job though. Stuck with that.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

been running a B7ES for a while, no issues, even keeping it pinned.....
trying out gordon jennings way of tuning :wink:
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
josh

Post by josh »

KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

scooter5002 wrote:Clearance is the issue. I have an 04 450 and the tank wont clear the plug. I have an aftermarket non-resistor cap and it's close. Thinking MAYBE if I massage the drain tube it might work.
I rotated my outlet on the tank(03 450) 180deg and using the shorter BR8ECM. I only had to heat and angle the outlet on the tank ever so slightly to get it to clear. Didn't have to super heat it. Just enough to get it soft and push in and hold a few seconds to set. And it is still the same plug that I started with when I finished the bike in 09.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I went through your bike in the sticky for all versions. Swearing my face off over my airbox issue saturday night. I didn't notice the plug thing. So the ECM is shorter than? Thanks KE, I will look into that. Those shorty pugs are a little on the spendy side. Add in the trick cap and it starts pilin' up in a hurry.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

scooter5002 wrote: So the ECM is shorter than?
I didn't measure it but it is a 1/4-1/2" shorter than a standard plug and only a couple of bucks more. I think it is a standard plug for one of the ktm 300s. There was a photo on here somewhere with the 2 plugs side by side but can't find it. Maybe some one smarter than me can find it and post it on here. I'm also using stock 500 coil and cap.
LawBrkrRcn

Post by LawBrkrRcn »

Hey guys,
Attached is a picture of three plugs... The one on the left is a standard length, middle is the short NGK BR8 ECM and on the right is the shorty and very expensive NGK R7282-8 plug... Image Here is a picture of the the shorty plug and cap on my 04 CRF450/500AF conversion... The pictures doesn't really show it, But I have about a 1/4" of clearance between the cap and fuel outlet... [/img]Image L8R Mark