oil

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

oil

Post by 100hp honda »

what kind of oil everyone tried ?

atf type F and maxima sucked balls for me
rotella T seems to work good, probly the best ive tried
honda stuff worked ok
gonna try some gear oil soon 80w-90. probly order it tomorrow. should work good except for the initial few minutes until it thins out
riverman

Post by riverman »

Mobil 10-40 for the last 10 years many different bikes and Banshee's never any trans or clutch problems.
I do change it often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4Z

Post by 4Z »

"not another oil thread..." LOL

I have been running Amsoil 10-40 scooter in the box. Klotz synthetic in the jug.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

just wondering what everyone has tried. not wanting a pissing match why they thinks theirs is best. :lol:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I run 75w Belray Gearsaver... nice and thin. Grab 80w if you want something thicker.
KE 336

Re: oil

Post by KE 336 »

100hp honda wrote:what kind of oil everyone tried ?

rotella T seems to work good, probly the best ive tried
What are you using to base your judgement on? Clutch action, shifting or something else? I've been using walmart "super tech" 20-50w for 4+ years now with zero clutch or tranny issues. Tried the atf thing years ago one time. Gearbox was noisy as hell like there was a cushion effect or something to thin about it.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

basing it on how well the tranny works. you think im a rotella represenative or somethin ? :D

type f made the plates stick so much it clanked bad going into first and hard to get back in neutral. doesnt seem like much cushion between the gears either. maxima stuff wasnt much better for me. rotella shifts pretty smooth and no clunks, hard to say how well it holds up to the shear forces so thats why i change at 4hrs max.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I like the Rotella too....

Quiet and shifts like buddah'.....
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

AlisoBob wrote:I like the Rotella too....

Full synthetic or blend?
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

100hp honda wrote:basing it on how well the tranny works. you think im a rotella represenative or somethin ? :D
Nah, I was just wondering how you decided one was good over the other.
I think rotella is as good as any to use in the gearbox. I've always wondered why people spend high $$$ on oil for the tranny. I change mine on what would be equal to about every 100 miles +/- 10 or so miles.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Kuma wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:I like the Rotella too....

Full synthetic or blend?
Just the regular "dino" stuff...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 90222_0_0_
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

4Z wrote:"not another oil thread..." LOL

I have been running Amsoil 10-40 scooter in the box.
:lol:

80W-90 is what is suppose to be in there from the dealer new. Then 10W-40 there after.

Its in the shop manuel :idea:
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

should never use any automotive synthetic oil, all of it is "energy conserving" and your manual specificaly says not to use this
or your clutch will slip
even most 10.30 and 5.30 for cars is no good
i think diesel motor oil is good

the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

2strokeforever wrote:should never use any automotive synthetic oil, all of it is "energy conserving"
Thats 110% not true.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i should have said all of it at walmart is...
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I shop at Autozone for the most part. At last glance....only the lighter Syn and Dino oils, like 10w30, 10w20, 5w20, were energy-conserving. All 5w40, 5w50, 10w40, 15w40, 15w50, and 20w50 oils I have found were not energy-conserving and can be recommended for wet clutch use.

As far as viscosities are concerned..... 40 wt. engine oil and 90 wt. gear oil interchange......

4Z

Post by 4Z »

I read somewhere that zinc content in the oil was a good thing (automobile oil has none these days), that is why I gravitated to bike specific oils. Dino or syn....... Urban myth?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate: Affectionately known as “ZDDP”, this miracle multi-purpose chemical and has been the chief anti-wear (AW), extreme pressure (EP), and anti-oxidant (AO) additive for decades. It is so effective and low cost that it is virtually irreplaceable, which is why it survives all efforts to remove phosphorus (P) from oils to protect the catalyst. With modern oils putting caps on the maximum P allowed, other additives are now being used to supplement this old standard, such as Molybdenum anti-wear compounds and ashless anti-oxidants.

Zinc was in all oil because motors used to have flat tappet cams.

Newer motors = roller cams = no zinc.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

good chart... im going to try APs tractor fluid as soon as my bike is going...
this about says it

• Lubricate the transmission, differential and final drive gears
• Act as a power steering, power brake, power take off and implement final drive fluid
• Provide a medium with the correct friction and heat transfer properties for proper operation
of the tractor wet brakes and power take-off units

Exceptional extreme pressure and anti-wear performance protects tractor transmissions,
axles, and hydraulic pumps.
• Frictional characteristics help minimize “chatter” while enabling the proper operation of
wet brakes. This frictional balance also provides smooth engagement of the power take-off clutch
• Provides excellent rust and corrosion protection and good oxidation stability for high
temperature service
• Meets the SAE viscosity grade of 10W-30, API Service Classification SF/CC, and API GL-4
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:As far as viscosities are concerned..... 40 wt. engine oil and 90 wt. gear oil interchange......
yes and thats why im going to try some gear oil 80w-90. the down side is the low temp viscosity may be shit but at higher temp is should be like a 40 grade oil like rotella. plus it has EP additives and no friction modifiers in the stuff im going to try. called the distibutor today, hopefully get it shipped tomorow. if it dont work as planned ill stay with rotella. no harm in trying something new
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:...yes and thats why im going to try some gear oil 80w-90.
Just get the "Red Bottle" Honda oil then......

:roll:

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

that shits $7 qaurt. sorry but im not paying that much. never had a problem with honda oil, except the price.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote: except the price.
Three Letters........

K T M
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i wondered if the honda shit was a rebadged gear oil. doesnt have the strong smell like gear oil so im not sure what it is
zorak-2

Post by zorak-2 »

I my self like the Honda HP gear oil myself. I have tried the mobil one 15-50 and tried Honda's hp4 20-50 synthetic blen and just didnt like the way the clutch felt and shifted. So im sticking with the what honda puts in it from the factory HP gear oil.
This site rocks
GEN 4 CRF500