CR500 Cafe project

Recount your rebuilds here!
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

AlisoBob wrote: Considering you have no water pump.... I'd say its nearly impossible.
I see one. :)

Looking good!
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Pony

Post by Pony »

Thanks for the replies! I have still been working on it as much as possible. I'm modifying the steering stops to work with the different triple clamps. I also scored a GSXR steering stabilizer that should work no problem. I was looking at the side of the bike and I'm that with the changes in the geometry of the bike it could get a little twitchy at high speed. I really hope this bike is fun to ride, I have become like obsessed with it and its gotten way more involved than I originally planned. Plus I have not backed up anything up with figuring out trail and all that I just have been bolting shit up that looks cool and fun. I guess we'll see. Here it is with the new pipe.

I got the silencer mounted last nigh and I had to hack up the stock subframe :(. I needed that little flange where the pipe and silencer fit together. I wish I had more skill to do something special with the silencer, It seems like the beautiful pipe just straightens out into this can that looks out of place. I have a few ideas, but it will probably end up staying like this. Function is #1.

I started messing with the headlight. I was set on LED's so that I could build a charging system that would run them. I had this old light bar I made a long time ago (I know it is shit, I was a kid lol) But some baja style lights might bring it back to a dirtbike look and keep it from looking too much like a street machine. I guess I could get away with this running a NiCd battery setup up. 110W is alot compared to the like 20W I could get with an LED Let me know what yall think.

I appreciate all the help and feedback, I have had build threads on other sites with other projects and there is never any replies and I cant stay motoivated. Ya'lls feedback/help/ideas have really helped me stay pumped on it. Help me out with some ideas on the lights and the silencer! Thanks dudes.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

a bills silencer is round, i think some PC ones are also. The newer model bikes had a smaller silencer that would look better but you'd have to change the front pipr of the silencer to be strait
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I'm with Roosty on this one... a round silencer would look much better.

Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Pony

Post by Pony »

I do like the round silencers better, but this FMF one is starting to grow on me. Doesnt look too bad, and I am about to have to tighten my budget up so I am going into the "Just get it done" phase. Here are some more pics. I like to do a little and then stand back and look at it lol.

I still have to drill and tap the front mount but the pipe and silencer are mounted solid. I cut off the stock fule tank mount and used to for the front mount on the expansion chamber.

I Picked up a GSXR steering damper (18$) and got it mounted into position. I am going to smooth out all the corners and finish the welds when I pull it apart for paint. I also plan on putting some 20w oil in the damper to give it a little resistance.

blownbillybob

Silencer

Post by blownbillybob »

You need to tuck it under the seat nice and tight!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
Pony

Post by Pony »

Hey guys, havent posted in a long time so I figured I would post a couple current pics. Im trying to get this thing done but I moved a couple months ago and my shed is still getting leveled and wired. Been a mess and have l been having to re buy bolts for this project and my yz that I have been doing some yearly maintance. I hate moving. Anyways here are some pics and hopefully get some backroad hot laps in this spring. I got some paint laid down and am still trying to figure out how to lay out some stripes and stuff.

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

now its cool
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Ive got some second hand Suzuki RGV silencers you can have .... there round & a few light scratchas on 1, but you can turn them 180 & they'll look fine, i recon it would look shit loads better then the oval unit you have there ..... i'll even post them to you for free if you want them .....

Its called Banned love
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

Look-n sweet :cool: I would match the paint on the tank to the tail section...
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Very cool build man! I just read through this thread for the first time. It's great to see a project like this almost finished and come out as nice as it has. This bike is going to be FUN! Can't wait to see some video of you riding it.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

That is looking pretty awesome, really comes together with the coat of paint.

Good to see you are getting it finished up, we will need some YouTube videos. Lol
Pony

Post by Pony »

Asteriod: That would be awesome! But shipping from Aussie would be expensive. If you are serious, see what it would cost to ship to Eligin Tx and I'll pay shipping.

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Getting the seat upholsterd right now. I am trying to find something to attach the brake stay to the rear drum because the hardware got lost in all the shuffling around. For a shake down I think all I lack:

Proper front brake line
brake pads and shoes
Clean up the inside of the tank

I also have to figure something out for the fuel petcock. When I put it on the tank it sits on top of the pipe. Best fix would be to move to the other side of the tank directly above the carb but I think that might be a little above my skill set. I think Ill rig something up for the first couple rides.

After that I'd like to get into all the other stuff like tires, lights, possible cr250 ignition, PWK, fresh bore/headwork/decomp ect. Wow I just named off a whole lot of $. I swear my ADD is never going to let me get to an AF which should be top of the list since all the riding I actually do is off-road.

Anyone have any idea/opinions of how the geometry of this bike is going to handle? It looks balanced but I am afraid of it being shaky at high speeds.

If this bike handles worth a damn I have been snagging parts for a possible future project. Similar deal, 89 cr250 frame with a cb front end and an RD350 motor. Figured rearsets and some lower bars and actually have more of a cafe feel since it would probably reach higher speeds. Any thoughts on that?
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Oops, double post Doofus!
Last edited by bearorso on February 9th, 2012, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I've quite liked this little project.

It looks like you lifted the subframe / seat tail section up to nicely match the tank, plus get rid of the 'dog with worms dragging it's arse across the carpet', look.

Something really important to consider : a Much better front fork / brake package.

You should be able to get a modern front end from wreckers / EBay for bugger all in the US. I don't think you blokes had much in the way of 250 Sports Bikes - RGVs / Aprillias etc - but a late model 600 front end would be easy to find. A 17" rear would be good too - big selection of modern tyres available - though, the width of the swingarm will limit you in tyre width, which would be a Good thing for handling, actually - with a disc brake.

A rear 17" wheel, will allow you to keep a bit of swingarm drop - the lowering of the axle to the SA pivot / CS centre, is a big problem with All dirt bike conversions. The 450 MX RR conversions have this as a limiting factor - luckily, they have bugger all power (a 500, too), compared to real road racers / Sports bikes. The Pro Squat effect, ain't conducive to good handling, believe me.

I myself, actually prefer 18" wheels, in relatively narrow rim widths - 2.50 front, 3.50 rear, but it's bloody hard to get sticky tyres for my Ducati F2 based bike now, so I'm going to 17", soon. Mind you, the fact that I have desperate blokes, offering me wads of money for the genuine, OEM Ducati hub / disc / sprocket carrier wheels, that they want for their Bevel Drives, is a big factor in going to modern 17"s.

The offset of those clamps, (so, bugger all trail) combined with what will be shit house forks, will be a source of a fair bit of fear and loathing, if you intend to open the throttle, much.

Get it to handle properly / as good as it can be made to handle, Before you throw money at it, to make it faster.

A very neat bike, nonetheless. Great Stuff. Me?, I'd set it up as a Street Tracker, and not use clip ons , plus not position the pegs so your feet are up near your arse.

This could be a great, 'do it all' , twisty tar road, gravel road, dirt road, Ratbag commuter bike. Dare I say it: a Complete Hoon Mobile!
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

A much cheaper way, off course, is finding some clamps with less offset (you may be able to get a few different offsets, for experimentation), a better front disc and caliper, with a nice 18" alloy rimmed wheel , or, new rims, front and rear.

:cool:
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Pony wrote:Asteriod: That would be awesome! But shipping from Aussie would be expensive. If you are serious, see what it would cost to ship to Eligin Tx and I'll pay shipping.
PM sent ..... It's all god mate, every now & then you've got to give a little.
Take alook at my G-1 build posts & you'll see in the back ground of my shed it is so much like yours .... lots of unfinished projects that with alittle $ could of been somthing. :wink:

Plus tinkering stops you getting old.

"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

Bike is looking tit's man! Here's some help for your rake and trail!

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Steve Wise