Catalytic converter replacement...

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
redrocket190

Catalytic converter replacement...

Post by redrocket190 »

So I take the Toyota Tundra in for its first smog test and it fails. Computer code suggests that the catalytic converter is below par emissions-wise. I need to take it back to have the converter specifically tested. So how long should a cat last - 105K miles and 7 years or longer. And where's the best place to get a replacement. (Shop quoted $1400 to do the job and that's each side.) And can you replace it yourself?

Just found out that CA has it's own rules that mean you can't get any after-market exhausts / cats that are legal. But the OEM parts are warrantied until 100K miles (no wait...).
Last edited by redrocket190 on February 14th, 2011, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
britincali

Post by britincali »

IIRC the tundra cats are part of the exhaust manifold so are ultra pricey to fix.

Is your engine light on? Or did it just fail emissions?

I would reset the computer then get the cats hot as fuk (high rpm for awhile) then see if it passes.

Make sure when you get to the smog station they put it straight on the machine and not leave it outside for 4 hrs to get stone cold....
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I confess the check engine light has been on and while I hope it might be a sensor problem, my gut says bad cat or worse, two bad cats. The f**king clowns that run CA on our behalf have of course ensured that the cost of a CA-compliant part is 5 times more expensive than a 49-State part...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
britincali

Post by britincali »

O2 sensors normally take a shit before cats do, if you can get hold of a scan tool that has live data pull up the downstream o2 sensors, if they switch voltages really slow they are fuked up and can trick the computer into thinking the cats gone.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

just wire a heater fan to blow air into the exhaust to dilute the "emmisions"
you should have no problem passing then :lol:
or pull a plug wire and plug that injector
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
britincali

Post by britincali »

I just did a little reserch and it dont look like they are part of the header and you can buy a direct replacement for around $350 a side.

Are there any small exhaust shops near you that could chop them out and weld in a universal one?

(if it is the cats of course)

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Are there any small exhaust shops near you that could chop them out and weld in a universal one
thats a dam good idea

glad i dont gotta deal with that bs, first thing i did to my truck is delete the cat, gained 4mpg on average....
weird how burning more saves the "enviroment".... idiots
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

For a while here in Frisco there was cat theves,you would come out to your truck start it up and bam!!!!

Open header!!!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

blownbillybob wrote:For a while here in Frisco there was cat theves,you would come out to your truck start it up and bam!!!!

Open header!!!!!!
Ya that was popular all over California - stealing Toyota cats.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/redwood ... GUCQU05FSV
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...