2003 gen 3 progress

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Flatbiller

2003 gen 3 progress

Post by Flatbiller »

I have been working on this heep since last June, it's almost done, decided to get the motor ported so out goes the motor and hello scratches on the frame lol.

03 cr250
89 motor
Fmf gnarly
Fmf silencer
Renthal sprockets 15/47
Boyesen rad valve
Boyesen clutch and ignition covers

Hinson clutch
Brp 20mm offset clamps with under mount dampner setup
Scotts damper
Renthal 997 twin walls
Asv levers
Cf skidplate on order
Cf fork guards on order
Cf chain guide on order
Cf rear disc gaurd on order
Frame, subframe, swingarm, hubs, rims powdercoated satin black
Oversized stainless spokes and nipples

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Whats going on with the cradle in this photo??
Flatbiller

Post by Flatbiller »

I'm trying to reduce weight. J/k

That was when it was tacked in place, it boxed in now. The y stayed in place hogged it out, relieved the front pulled it foward, moved stock mounts up frame, boxed In the gap in the cradle with plate, everything was tig welded.
Everyone likes the oem look, although it's nice looking I went the other way it was cheaper and I like the frankinstein 500 look. Also with a little coaxing the stock 500 headstay worked perfect.
mxdogger

Post by mxdogger »

What about the "Y" ? was the downtube butt welded to the "y" or did the y fit over the tube ?
Flatbiller

Post by Flatbiller »

The y was never removed. Cut a 1/4 pie cut on the front 3/4 the way thru, bent it forward tigged it all the way a round. I guess you could say it's a butt weld?
cr5004life

Post by cr5004life »

damn you !! j/k. Im building almost the exact same bike, looks very nice. sweet build

:cool: :cool:
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

My son and I did the same to a 125 chassis. Keep a close eye on the y as our's cracked in a short amount of time.
Flatbiller

Post by Flatbiller »

cmotodad wrote:My son and I did the same to a 125 chassis. Keep a close eye on the y as our's cracked in a short amount of time.
It better not! Were your motor mounts stressed at all? I hear that's normally what causes it to crack. Where did yours crack at? Do yo have any pics so I know what to look for?

Are you saying I should put a plate on the down tube to the y to beef it up?
Or did it crack where you hogged out the y?
Let me know I would rather have to get the frame re coated then have a complete frame failure

If it cracks I'm going to light it on fire and dance around It like a weird Indian sacrifice
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

On our bike, the area where it is thinnest in the y, started to crack. After that the tube cracked around the top motor mount. Just keep a close eye. Pstoffers does them on the 250's and has not had a problem. Maybe look at his posts for a good look.
Flatbiller

Post by Flatbiller »

Thanks for the advice.
Flatbiller

Post by Flatbiller »

Dropped my frame off to my buddy, he got to work and got everything cut out with a carbide tipped dremmel bit. Took almost 12 hours, he said when he got the y cut off there was filler rod dangling inside the y. All in all I made a good desicion to re do the frame, because he said there was no doubt in his mms the first ride I would of snapped the frame! Lol